Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Audio Not Working, Please Help :(

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
November 17, 2011 5:43:57 AM

Hey,
im having trouble getting my computer to pick up my speakers or headphones. I will give some history into my computer and what not, to see if it helps.

Purchased in 2009, Specs are
MB Name: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.EG31M-S2
BIOS version: EG31M-S2 FB
CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
Memory information: 2,097,151 KB RAM
GPU: 9800 Geforce

my hardrive crashed the other day, so i had to get a new one. So i did that, then i ran into another problem, of my computer turning off after 10-15sec, i took it into a shop, and they said that the mobo fan broke for some reason and was resting on my cpu, causing it to turn off.

Anyways, so i re installed windows and all the drivers, installed wow and noticed that the sound was not working. So i played a mp3 audio file to see if it was just wow. It didn't work, so i went to my audio manager and its telling me i have no audio device connected.
I thought maybe my driver did not work, so i re-installed it, still nothing. (Realtec High Definition audio Driver).
I went to device manager, and next to my PCI device is a yellow question mark, and i remember reading somewhere that thats your mobo sound card thing. so im guessing that could be the issue? i went to update it, it asked for a cd, i out my mobo cd in, and nothing happened.

Im not even sure if im on the right track. Please help

More about : audio working

November 17, 2011 6:04:33 AM

Skyraz said:
Hey,
im having trouble getting my computer to pick up my speakers or headphones. I will give some history into my computer and what not, to see if it helps.

Purchased in 2009, Specs are
MB Name: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.EG31M-S2
BIOS version: EG31M-S2 FB
CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
Memory information: 2,097,151 KB RAM
GPU: 9800 Geforce

my hardrive crashed the other day, so i had to get a new one. So i did that, then i ran into another problem, of my computer turning off after 10-15sec, i took it into a shop, and they said that the mobo fan broke for some reason and was resting on my cpu, causing it to turn off.

Anyways, so i re installed windows and all the drivers, installed wow and noticed that the sound was not working. So i played a mp3 audio file to see if it was just wow. It didn't work, so i went to my audio manager and its telling me i have no audio device connected.
I thought maybe my driver did not work, so i re-installed it, still nothing. (Realtec High Definition audio Driver).
I went to device manager, and next to my PCI device is a yellow question mark, and i remember reading somewhere that thats your mobo sound card thing. so im guessing that could be the issue? i went to update it, it asked for a cd, i out my mobo cd in, and nothing happened.

Im not even sure if im on the right track. Please help

If your motherboard has onboard sound and you have another sound card installed, you have to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 6:13:52 AM

Thanks for the reply

I dont have another sound card. Just the mobo one
m
0
l
Related resources
November 17, 2011 6:23:11 AM

Skyraz said:
Thanks for the reply

I dont have another sound card. Just the mobo one


What is this then ?
went to device manager, and next to my PCI device is a yellow question mark, and i remember reading somewhere that thats your mobo sound card thing. so im guessing that could be the issue? i went to update it, it asked for a cd, i out my mobo cd in, and nothing happened.

Are your speakers plugged into the onboard jack or a PCI Card ?
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 6:27:58 AM

ksiemb said:
What is this then ?
went to device manager, and next to my PCI device is a yellow question mark, and i remember reading somewhere that thats your mobo sound card thing. so im guessing that could be the issue? i went to update it, it asked for a cd, i out my mobo cd in, and nothing happened.

Are your speakers plugged into the onboard jack or a PCI Card ?


I'm not sure, its under Other Devices. I just figured that's the problem.
As for my speakers, they are just plugged into the back of my computer, into the green slot. I'm not sure if that answers your question.
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 6:55:40 AM

Skyraz said:
I'm not sure, its under Other Devices. I just figured that's the problem.
As for my speakers, they are just plugged into the back of my computer, into the green slot. I'm not sure if that answers your question.


Well, there is a PCI card installed, which has a driver problem, most likely.
Giving you the "Other Devices error. You can right click that and try to determine what it is. Also delete it prior to next boot.

Download this utility (speccy) and it will show you all your system information including any PCI cards installed. You should then be able to find the driver (s).

http://www.piriform.com/speccy
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 7:27:45 AM

ksiemb said:
Well, there is a PCI card installed, which has a driver problem, most likely.
Giving you the "Other Devices error. You can right click that and try to determine what it is. Also delete it prior to next boot.

Download this utility (speccy) and it will show you all your system information including any PCI cards installed. You should then be able to find the driver (s).

http://www.piriform.com/speccy


I right clicked it, and will copy and paste the information i was able to gather. No idea if it will help.
-PCI bus 0, device 27, function 0
Hardware ID's
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_A0021458&REV_01
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_A0021458
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&CC_040300
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&CC_0403
Device ID
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_A0021458&REV_01\3&13C0B0C5&0&D8

As for Speccy, this is the information i got from the PCi slots.

Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI
Slot Number 3
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 8:00:24 AM

Skyraz said:
I right clicked it, and will copy and paste the information i was able to gather. No idea if it will help.
-PCI bus 0, device 27, function 0
Hardware ID's
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_A0021458&REV_01
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_A0021458
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&CC_040300
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&CC_0403
Device ID
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_A0021458&REV_01\3&13C0B0C5&0&D8

As for Speccy, this is the information i got from the PCi slots.

Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI
Slot Number 3



The device Vendor code PCI\VEN_8086& and that is Intel
Plug that code into search downloads of their Link
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=...

You can also go to the mfg site for your motherboard in the Speccy report and look for drivers. Aside from this, not too much more I can recommend.
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 8:45:38 AM

ksiemb said:
The device Vendor code PCI\VEN_8086& and that is Intel
Plug that code into search downloads of their Link
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=...

You can also go to the mfg site for your motherboard in the Speccy report and look for drivers. Aside from this, not too much more I can recommend.



tried both with still no luck :( 
ahh, i just want my sound back.

thanks for your help though, much appreciated.
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 8:57:26 AM

Skyraz said:
tried both with still no luck :( 
ahh, i just want my sound back.

thanks for your help though, much appreciated.



Couple more things came to mind.

Device manager right click the device, scan for hardware changes.

You might also try Sound Max Intergrated Digital. That worked for me, some time back, as I recall.

http://download.cnet.com/SoundMAX-Integrated-Digital-Au...
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 9:30:42 AM

ksiemb said:
Couple more things came to mind.

Device manager right click the device, scan for hardware changes.

You might also try Sound Max Intergrated Digital. That worked for me, some time back, as I recall.

http://download.cnet.com/SoundMAX-Integrated-Digital-Au...



No luck with either, something about my audio drivers cant support Sound Max.

i guess if it comes to it, i will just buy a sound card. Hopefully i can get one for cheap, since i don't like paying for things when it was working, now it does not, for no apparent reason.
Only really use sound for Skype and movies. So hoping i can get one cheap
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 3:48:41 PM



Where did you get the sound driver? Does it include the Microsoft UAA HD audio driver? If not sure you can download it from HERE and install it. This download includes audio drivers and the Microsoft UAA driver in a package.

Your device 27D8 is the Microsoft UAA Bus HD Audio.

m
0
l
November 17, 2011 9:11:33 PM

tigsounds said:
Where did you get the sound driver? Does it include the Microsoft UAA HD audio driver? If not sure you can download it from HERE and install it. This download includes audio drivers and the Microsoft UAA driver in a package.

Your device 27D8 is the Microsoft UAA Bus HD Audio.


I installed it, still nothing.
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 10:48:45 PM



Next time you are in Control Panel, expand System Devices and see if your SMBus shows up there.
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 11:15:28 PM

tigsounds said:
Next time you are in Control Panel, expand System Devices and see if your SMBus shows up there.


Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family SMBus Controller - 27DA

that is there, if that's the one you are after.
m
0
l
November 18, 2011 1:36:27 AM



That's the one. Can scratch off MS UAA and SMBus as possibilities. Either one will stop you but you have them so..

The "Other Devices"... can you get the VEN and hardware ID for that?

m
0
l
November 18, 2011 1:52:19 AM

tigsounds said:
That's the one. Can scratch off MS UAA and SMBus as possibilities. Either one will stop you but you have them so..

The "Other Devices"... can you get the VEN and hardware ID for that?



here are the hardware ids for it
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_A0021458&REV_01
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_A0021458
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&CC_040300
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&CC_0403

Instance ID
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_A0021458&REV_01\3&13C0B0C5&0&D8


im not sure if that's also the VEN thing you wanted. So to be safe, i will give you everything i can get.

Compatible IDs
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&REV_01
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_040300
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0403
PCI\VEN_8086
PCI\CC_040300
PCI\CC_0403

Devnode Flags
DN_DISABLEABLE
DN_NT_ENUMERATOR
DN_NT_DRIVER

Power State Mapping
S0 -> D0
S1 -> Unspecified
S2 -> Unspecified
S3 -> D3
S4 -> D3
S5 -> D3

Power Capabilities
PDCAP_D0_SUPPORTED
PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED
PDCAP_WAKE_FROM_D3_SUPPORTED

m
0
l
November 18, 2011 3:06:33 AM



That's what I thought you were posting earlier. That is the Microsoft UAA HD audio driver and/or Intel IDT Audio.

The VEN_8086 is Intel as seen
HERE

The DEV_27D8 is one of the following from HERE

0x27d8 IDT High Definition Audio Driver 0x8086 Intel Corporation
0x27d8xzx Microsoft UAA Bus HD Audio 0x8086 Intel Corporation
0xx27c8 Microsoft UAA Bus HD Audio 0x8086 Intel Corporation
0xx27d8 INTEL IDT Audio 0x8086 Intel Corporation

If it is the IDT Audio that you need, it is probably
HERE even though you have a GB board. Since you do have the UAA driver, the obvious is to try the IDT driver.

m
0
l
November 18, 2011 4:07:13 AM

tigsounds said:
That's what I thought you were posting earlier. That is the Microsoft UAA HD audio driver and/or Intel IDT Audio.

The VEN_8086 is Intel as seen
HERE

The DEV_27D8 is one of the following from HERE

0x27d8 IDT High Definition Audio Driver 0x8086 Intel Corporation
0x27d8xzx Microsoft UAA Bus HD Audio 0x8086 Intel Corporation
0xx27c8 Microsoft UAA Bus HD Audio 0x8086 Intel Corporation
0xx27d8 INTEL IDT Audio 0x8086 Intel Corporation

If it is the IDT Audio that you need, it is probably
HERE even though you have a GB board. Since you do have the UAA driver, the obvious is to try the IDT driver.


i got a error telling me my hardware does not support it.

this is a interesting problem i have, i googled it the other day, it was rare but most people just had to install drivers that they missed, but so far i have downloaded alot.

would it be possible that the sound bit on the motherboard is damaged? although i would of assumed it would beep at me like crazy.
m
0
l

Best solution

November 18, 2011 4:22:41 AM

Quote:
would it be possible that the sound bit on the motherboard is damaged? although i would of assumed it would beep at me like crazy.


Something is wrong. You've downloaded every driver ever made for that thing and still no go.

It is (remotely) possible the sound chip on the board has gone bad.

One last thing, probably unrelated, but for the heck of it, download the Intel.inf file and install that.
Get it
HERE

I do hope you are running XP with SP3.










Share
November 18, 2011 4:37:02 AM

tigsounds said:
Quote:
would it be possible that the sound bit on the motherboard is damaged? although i would of assumed it would beep at me like crazy.


Something is wrong. You've downloaded every driver ever made for that thing and still no go.

It is (remotely) possible the sound chip on the board has gone bad.

One last thing, probably unrelated, but for the heck of it, download the Intel.inf file and install that.
Get it
HERE

I do hope you are running XP with SP3.


You sir, i love so very much. That file you got me to download did the trick.
im not sure how i could really show how much i appreciate your help.

thank-you, very very much
m
0
l
November 18, 2011 4:47:18 AM

Best answer selected by Skyraz.
m
0
l
November 18, 2011 5:08:13 AM

and for some reason, programmes are running alot faster
m
0
l
November 18, 2011 5:30:37 AM

That's your chipset driver. It's usually the very first driver installed on a new build. I must be getting old, I usually ask if that is in already, but I forgot to ask this time. [:tigsounds:3]

Glad it finally works and Thanks for the vote. :) 
m
0
l
November 18, 2011 5:33:55 AM

Skyraz said:
You sir, i love so very much. That file you got me to download did the trick.
im not sure how i could really show how much i appreciate your help.

thank-you, very very much



BTW... Thanks is by staying with the problem and not giving up. I'll wear out a keyboard looking for answers, and I've gone so far as calling people in the middle of the night sometimes for information on some problems. If the poster doesn't quit, I don't either.

Good Luck
m
0
l
!