Problem with RAM on new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowbordlb

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I recently built a new system with a Asus M4A78 MB. When i boot up the system with all 4 2gb ddr2-800 sticks in the system freezes during the bios screen. When i took all but one of the sticks out and left the one in slot 1 it booted up fine and i was able to install the OS. I then updated the BIOS from the ASUS utility. Then I added a second stick with no problem to slot 3. I have tested the other two sticks and I don't think they are the problem. Is my MB bad? Do I need to set do something different with the BIOS?
Here is my system

Asus m4A78 with Phenom 965

The Ram is *gb ddr2 from http://www.enetshoponline.com/mm-rx8002g-m.html

Gigabyte nvidia GTS 250

seagate 500 gb HD

DVD burner

Coolermaster V8 CPU cooler

Power supply BGF GS 550 W

let me know what you all think. Thanks

Solution
I'd guess it's a voltage problem, based on the fact that the system works fine with two sticks but not four, and you haven't changed the settings.

When you fill all four slots, RAM will often require slightly more voltage than spec to run properly. So it sounds like with two sticks, it's getting the 1.8V it needs, but with four, the system is autodetecting the standard 1.8V correctly, but not realizing that it really needs to be supplying more than that. Basically, it's aiming right, but the target has moved.

Fortunately, if that's what the problem is, it's a simple fix:

1) Remove all but two sticks of RAM so you can boot again
2) Go into the BIOS and manually set the RAM voltage to 1.9V
3) Put all four sticks back in
4) Hopefully it...

curtains

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Have you ran a Memory test to test all you RAM?

If not go put all ur sticks of RAM in and run Memtest.

If memtest comes back fine, then its most likely your motherboard.

Also see that you have a aftermarket HS&F are you doing any overclocking? If you are re test everything at factory/stock settings.

Also a good Idea to check the RAM voltage on the board, try a different PSU if you have another one to rule out PSU issues.

I'd guess it's a voltage problem, based on the fact that the system works fine with two sticks but not four, and you haven't changed the settings.

When you fill all four slots, RAM will often require slightly more voltage than spec to run properly. So it sounds like with two sticks, it's getting the 1.8V it needs, but with four, the system is autodetecting the standard 1.8V correctly, but not realizing that it really needs to be supplying more than that. Basically, it's aiming right, but the target has moved.

Fortunately, if that's what the problem is, it's a simple fix:

1) Remove all but two sticks of RAM so you can boot again
2) Go into the BIOS and manually set the RAM voltage to 1.9V
3) Put all four sticks back in
4) Hopefully it should work now.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.