I5 2500K ASUS P67MPRO

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Hi, just looking for help Overclocking this.

Currently set the all cores option to 45 giving a 4.5ghz oc however cpuz is stating the v core is at 1.44 . I was wondering what option it is in my bios which controls the vcore as its doing it automatically atm.

Specs:

I5 2500K
ASUS P67M PRO
8GB CORSAIR VENGANCE
750 CM GX
2 X 5870
HAF X
KULER H2O

THANKS

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
heres the settings i have:

CPU OFFSET VOLTAGE (AUTO)
DRAM VOLTAGE (AUTO)
VCCIO VOLTAGE (AUTO)
PCH VOLTAGE (AUTO)
LOAD-LINE CALIBERATION (aUTO)
CPU SPREAD SPECTRUM (AUTO)

is it the cpu offset voltage? so for instance i change that to 1.35v for cpu voltage?

are there any other options i need to disable for oc such as speedstep?

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Speedstep should be off for best overclocking AFAIK. The CPU offset voltage is probably your VCore, so yeah, that may be pushed when the CPU gets unstable at current settings. 4.5GHz is respectable though, and you shouldn't push much more than that.

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
figured it out, that board cant alter vcore directly, there are no options, offset increases or decreases the auto voltage the motherboard gives the chip depending on what clock speed you set,pain in the rear

Yeah, for whatever reason ASUS crippled their Micro-ATX P67 boards with missing settings. They put a lot of them back in with BIOS updates, but some are still not there.

You should be able to get a 4.5GHz overclock with the voltage at 1.3-1.35v, so try different offset values to get somewhere near there.

On my ASRock board, I got 1.336v from an offset of +0.005v. Try something around that at first.

You should only disable SpeedStep and other options if you are going for an extreme bleeding-edge overclock. 4.5GHz is a moderate overclock and easily reachable for most Sandy Bridge CPUs, so you should keep most settings at their defaults.

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
currently at 4.7ghz @ 1.45vcore, thinks it the AVT voltage set to auto thats giving it too much voltage. Surely could get stable with something around 1.35 vcore.

Then set ATV to the smallest amount of extra voltage instead of keeping it at Auto.

For 1.35v, you should get around 4.5GHz. For higher speeds, you will likely need more voltage.

For everyday overclocks, you should keep your peak Prime95 core temps below 75ºC and your CPU voltage below 1.4v. Otherwise, your CPU's service life will be shortened.

I don't know if they changed it but I have an ASUS P7P55D Pro... if it's the same you'll have to first set it to manual and then there might be an option to do either offset or input type.

Anyway offset should not offset from the auto voltage but from the stock voltage, so use that.

Also I'm pretty sure that 1.45V is pushing it dangerously high.

As far as disabling things, only Turbo. Keep speedstep (aka EIST), C States, and C1E on unless it's impossible to get stable otherwise.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

This, I didn't know. Learn something new every day... :whistle:

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Right cheers for replies, I got 4.8ghz stable, the lowest voltage I can go before crash is 1.440. It is water cooled so temps are all good. Will this voltage be ok?

slo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
***OVERCLOCKING GUIDELINES***

- Do not exceed 1.35-1.38v core voltage, doing so could limit lifespan of the CPU
- Do not overclock with BCLK, again doing so could limit lifespan of the CPU
- Recommended memory voltage is 1.50v, so make sure to run your memory at 1.50v, higher could limit lifespan of the CPU
- These recommendations come from OcUK and Intel, your warranty is un-affected but we highly recommend you adhere to the above to make sure your CPU lifespan is un-affected
- All Sandybridge CPU's worldwide should be run at the above or lower voltages, no higher!

This is quoted from overclockers uk. These guys overclock for a living so i'd follow their advice.