Getting old raid 0 back

pomgal

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Help please! I guess I did something stupid. I built a beautiful machine last year. I used 1 ssd for the os and another for programs with two Seagate Barracuda 500gigs in raid 0 for storage. Everything was wonderful until now. Long story short. I bought a larger ssd for the os. I did not give a thought to my trouble free raid drives. I installed the os drive, reformatted the program drive and reinstalled all the programs. Great; however the Barracuda drives show in bios as healthy single drives :ouch: ----not showing in Windows? I am old enough to know better (75) but did not have a good back up of this arrangement. I found there was no driver and I installed that. Just went through Control F5 but when it said all MDR would be erased I got panicked. I can’t erase these disks. HELP needed. :heink:

Solution
To me it seems that the RAID drivers are not installed . That in the case you didn't touch your settings in the RAID bios. Also RAID bios also loses settings if one of the HDD's in the RAID gets disconnected accidentally and system gets to boot therefore settings get to default. It happened to me in the past and i have rebuild the array despite all the warning booted and went in computer management (in administrative tools) --> HDD's and reinported the partition with no data loss!. I would check the above issues before taking this radical step. Depending on your RAID bios you could loose your data!!! so beware This worked on a Asus SK8v. This is the last thing you should do because it would be nothing left to do anyway. Try and...
From the sound of it you still have the old SSD drive, put that back in, it should be back if the RAID is software based.

Never use RAID 0 for storage, you are doubling your chances of data loss, in addition to whatever issues the RAID itself may have. Set up the 2 disks separetely for storage.

sylmarils

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
To me it seems that the RAID drivers are not installed . That in the case you didn't touch your settings in the RAID bios. Also RAID bios also loses settings if one of the HDD's in the RAID gets disconnected accidentally and system gets to boot therefore settings get to default. It happened to me in the past and i have rebuild the array despite all the warning booted and went in computer management (in administrative tools) --> HDD's and reinported the partition with no data loss!. I would check the above issues before taking this radical step. Depending on your RAID bios you could loose your data!!! so beware This worked on a Asus SK8v. This is the last thing you should do because it would be nothing left to do anyway. Try and remember the stripe size you have used before and set it the same.

Solution

pomgal

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

Thanks but the old ssd has a virus that attacked (in some new manner) my credit card so I would be right back where I started.

I am using Internet back up now.

Thank much for the help.

pomgal

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

Driver is installed and going (control F5) gives a message that MBR will be erased. I know that a new and healthy Raid array would result but I need a for sure answer; I am very chicken. But I have the same thoughts as you. My board is Asus Crosshair IV and I do love it. I know there is an answer. Both drives in post testing report as healthy single drives and I have never disconnected them. I am trying some programs but so far no luck.

Thanks

sylmarils

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Ok I have the same mobo but extreme version so don't panic it could be as simple as going in the MOBO bios and setting up raid 1-4 to RAID and 5-6 to RAID(its in the storrage menu). The reason i'm saying this is because i don't know your orriginal settings when you have created the RAID and to what ports the hdd's were connected(if you moved ports put them back where they were when you created the RAID). Don't worry either way your SSD won't be part of a RAID as it was never allocated in the RAID bios