Sign in with
Your question

I Have overclocking problems

Last response: in Overclocking
May 19, 2011 8:51:08 AM

Hi,
I have a problem with overclocking my cpu, any time i overclock it even if its a slight overclock such as 100mhz it crashes like 5mins later and even when i change it back to stock settings it keeps on crashing on windows764bit home premium but seems fine on xp (i have a dual boot). i have tried changing the voltage and it doesn’t make much difference and i have tried locking one of the cores back up i have the same result. Just so u know this is through bios although i have tried a overclocking utility to. this is with out changing anything else but i have also tried changing other stuff in the past (don’t remember much now though included fsb ram settings i followed guide was unstable again as in crashed 2 mins later after the overclock). These are not heat problems because when it crashes its running very cool. i am hoping someone can help. (specs below)Thanks
(currently have 1.4350v for the processor ive tried higher when overclocking)

Amd Athlon II x3 445 (unlocked to x4 yes ive tried locking the 4th core back up be4 overclocking similar result it just crashes a bit later)
Asrock M3A770DE Motherboard
4gb of kingston hyper x blu 1600
Gigabyte gtx460 Super overclock Graphics card
600watt with quad 18amp 12v rails
Haf922 cooler master
Cooler master hyper 212+ Cpu cooler(pushpull)
Sata2 Samsung f3 1tb hard drive
Sata 70gb hard drive
Windows 7 64bit home premium
Windows XP pro 32bit (dual boot)

More about : overclocking problems

a c 83 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 19, 2011 8:59:04 AM

Any clue on what causes the crash? Blue screen or just lock up? Does it restart by itself?

Have you tested the RAM?
May 19, 2011 9:25:46 AM

Thx for the reply :) ,
erm it just locks up no blue screen. Just freezes and i have to manualy power it down and back on. no it doesnt restart by it self. Yes i have tested the ram with erm forgot the name, memtest86+ i think ive tested it atleast 2-3 times. Ihave no idea whats causing the problem =/ .
Related resources
a c 102 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 19, 2011 10:46:30 AM

Have you lowered the memory multiplier?
May 19, 2011 11:05:07 AM

simon12 said:
Have you lowered the memory multiplier?

Yes i have in the past with no success but not this time. (memory multiplyer is the fsb or the htlink right ?)
a c 83 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 19, 2011 1:27:54 PM

No its not. The memory multiplier would be the ratio between the HTT bus and the RAM. (the old FSB:RAM ratio.)

I don't think its an issue with anything normal as you said it OCs fine in XP but not win7. I'm thinking its more like a driver issue. XP and Win7 run their drivers in different areas. I'd try updating all drivers on 7, remove any unneeded things (turn off Firewire in the bios, etc) and update the bios to the most recent one. See if any of that helps.
May 19, 2011 1:36:53 PM

4745454b said:
No its not. The memory multiplier would be the ratio between the HTT bus and the RAM. (the old FSB:RAM ratio.)

I don't think its an issue with anything normal as you said it OCs fine in XP but not win7. I'm thinking its more like a driver issue. XP and Win7 run their drivers in different areas. I'd try updating all drivers on 7, remove any unneeded things (turn off Firewire in the bios, etc) and update the bios to the most recent one. See if any of that helps.

It doesnt oc fine on xp its more stable on windows XP but still crashes like 30 mins later unlike the 5mins later with windows 7.
alot of the times when i am done with trying to overclock i return to stock settings and it is still unstable on windows 7(like this morning. I have to come over to XP and after i run that for a while i boot back in to windows 7 and its more stable. So strange does any one think i have a defective processor? and if so could i use my warranty for something like that . Thx for any and all replys and all the guys who have posted so far =]

(where can i find the memory multiplyer in bios?)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 19, 2011 7:52:39 PM

Start from the begining. Clear your CMOS. Get back into your BIOS and disable Cool 'n Quiet. When you start your OC, leave all settings on default, except for the FSB. Raise the FSB by 5. Save and exit. Do this until the system crashes. Now, manually configure your DRAM settings to match the specs on the stickers of your RAM modules. Save and exit. Test for stability.

If your system is stable, raise the FSB by 5 until unstable again. From here you can either drop the FSB down by 1 until you regain stability, or if you want to attempt to OC further (or if your system is still unstable after adjusting your DRAM settings) bump up the vcore, one step at a time, until you regain stability.

Note: for better OC, you may have to lower your DRAM frequency, and you may also need to lower your NB frequency/multiplier (try to keep this as close to stock/default as possible).

I'll give you an example:

My CPU is a P2X4 945 (not a BE, btw). The highest my FSB multi can go is 15, with a default setting of 200 Mhz. I started off my OC by manually configuring my RAM to match the specs shown on the RAM stickers. I got to ~225 on the FSB, then had to start lowering my North Bridge (NB). My BIOS is a little complicated, I don't see the NB multi; I see the result of the unseen multi and the default FSB (200 MHz). So, my default NB setting is 2000 MHz (or 10 x 200 MHz).

To lower my NB, I just stepped it down by one, saving it at 1800 (or 9 x 200MHz). From here, I was able to continue raising my FSB. I continued to lower the NB in the process.

Keep in mind, my hardware is different than yours, but the method of OC is equally as important as the hardware. Also, my OC results will greatly differ from yours (hardware reasons), but doing an OC takes time and patience. Make small changes, then monitor. If stable, continue increasing your OC.

Of course, be mindful that there is a limit to how far you can push your parts. Never exceed their limits.
May 29, 2011 10:07:12 PM

T_T said:
Start from the begining. Clear your CMOS. Get back into your BIOS and disable Cool 'n Quiet. When you start your OC, leave all settings on default, except for the FSB. Raise the FSB by 5. Save and exit. Do this until the system crashes. Now, manually configure your DRAM settings to match the specs on the stickers of your RAM modules. Save and exit. Test for stability.

If your system is stable, raise the FSB by 5 until unstable again. From here you can either drop the FSB down by 1 until you regain stability, or if you want to attempt to OC further (or if your system is still unstable after adjusting your DRAM settings) bump up the vcore, one step at a time, until you regain stability.

Note: for better OC, you may have to lower your DRAM frequency, and you may also need to lower your NB frequency/multiplier (try to keep this as close to stock/default as possible).

I'll give you an example:

My CPU is a P2X4 945 (not a BE, btw). The highest my FSB multi can go is 15, with a default setting of 200 Mhz. I started off my OC by manually configuring my RAM to match the specs shown on the RAM stickers. I got to ~225 on the FSB, then had to start lowering my North Bridge (NB). My BIOS is a little complicated, I don't see the NB multi; I see the result of the unseen multi and the default FSB (200 MHz). So, my default NB setting is 2000 MHz (or 10 x 200 MHz).

To lower my NB, I just stepped it down by one, saving it at 1800 (or 9 x 200MHz). From here, I was able to continue raising my FSB. I continued to lower the NB in the process.

Keep in mind, my hardware is different than yours, but the method of OC is equally as important as the hardware. Also, my OC results will greatly differ from yours (hardware reasons), but doing an OC takes time and patience. Make small changes, then monitor. If stable, continue increasing your OC.

Of course, be mindful that there is a limit to how far you can push your parts. Never exceed their limits.

Hiya, sorry for the very late reply been very busy. Thannks for ur reply =] but there is a problem i was with ya all the way up to raise the fsb my mobo doesnt have a option for raising the fsb o.o. can some one help plz cuz ive sunk alot of money in cooling and then i cant overclock its driving me mental Cheers
a c 83 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2011 1:19:22 AM

He means the HTT setting. Remember that your AMD chip doesn't have an FSB, it uses the hyper transport bus.
May 30, 2011 2:14:30 AM

oh thanks:D  but on my mobo the htt only goes up to its max of 2000 through bios which its on atm only way i can increase it is to increase the cpu multiplyer i think. :s
a c 83 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2011 2:47:10 AM

Its possible you have a locked bios, one that doesn't allow you to adjust the HTT. I thought you said you've already OC'd this machine however. How did you do it before?
May 30, 2011 4:08:29 AM

Directly through cpu frequency. have any more ideas ?
May 30, 2011 4:14:28 AM

see i cant manualy adjust it, only choose from those options and the max i can choose is 2000 thats allrdy at that thats stock speeds.
a c 83 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2011 5:33:48 AM

Then either your bios doesn't allow you to OC, or it uses a "special bios". Anyone know the keycombo to get there for the Asrock M3A770DE?

Again, you said "any time i overclock it even if its a slight overclock such as 100mhz", how were you doing that?
May 30, 2011 6:23:11 AM

I told u before i can change the cpu frequency. Changeing it from 200 to 207 is a extra 100mhz.
Thx for the replys :D  and all ur help
a c 83 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2011 6:27:45 AM

Wow. Just wow.

And how did you change it from 200 to 207? That change is the HTT, no matter what the bios calls it.
May 30, 2011 7:00:38 AM

Oh :o  . Well thats what ive been changing all along following the guides doing it just as they say and havent been able to get a stable oc :o 
i changed it just by pressing the + on the keyboard slowly bumping it up. once it got quite high i understand i would have to reduce the memory speed nb frequency and the ht i did that following a guide. the guide was designed for my mother board i cant find it atm, But i followed it exactly. It was succesfull for other ppl but not me.
May 31, 2011 3:00:35 PM

Bump (need a solution :cry:  )
Thx again for every one whose replyd a tried to help. ty<3
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2011 1:21:05 AM

inf said:
I told u before i can change the cpu frequency. Changeing it from 200 to 207 is a extra 100mhz.
Thx for the replys :D  and all ur help

???
How do you figure that? 200 MHz is default. Raising it by 7 means that you're now at 207 MHz. Is that the farthest you've OCed?

Anyway, reset your BIOS back to default settings. Go back to the BIOS page that you took a screenshot of. Go to the CPU Frequency Adjust section. This is where I suggested raising by 5 until you can't get a display upon reboot.

At this point, configure your RAM to the specs shown on the stickers. Then go back an raise the CPU Frequency Adjust by 5, again until you don't get a display upon reboot.

When you have display failure, you can either drop the CPU Frequency Adjustby 1, until the display appears on reboot, or make some more adjustments to OC higher.

If you choose to go higher, drop your DRAM frequency down one step (I.E. from 800 down to 667). Reboot. If you see the display, then decide if you want to go further, or stay.

If you choose to go higher, get back into your BIOS and raise the CPU Frequency Adjust by 5, again until no display. If no display, drop DRAM frequency down one more step. If still no display, you may need to start raising vcore and/or lowering NB.

Edit for clarity
June 2, 2011 12:15:46 AM

T_T said:
???
How do you figure that? 200 MHz is default. Raising it by 7 means that you're now at 207 MHz. Is that the farthest you've OCed?

Anyway, reset your BIOS back to default settings. Go back to the BIOS page that you took a screenshot of. Go to the CPU Frequency Adjust section. This is where I suggested raising by 5 until you can't get a display upon reboot.

At this point, configure your RAM to the specs shown on the stickers. Then go back an raise the CPU Frequency Adjust by 5, again until you don't get a display upon reboot.

When you have display failure, you can either drop the CPU Frequency Adjustby 1, until the display appears on reboot, or make some more adjustments to OC higher.

If you choose to go higher, drop your DRAM frequency down one step (I.E. from 800 down to 667). Reboot. If you see the display, then decide if you want to go further, or stay.

If you choose to go higher, get back into your BIOS and raise the CPU Frequency Adjust by 5, again until no display. If no display, drop DRAM frequency down one more step. If still no display, you may need to start raising vcore and/or lowering NB.

Edit for clarity

Hiya thx for ur reply,
By 207 being 100mhz i meant like in total 15.5x207=3208ghz clock (stock is 3.1 so 100mhz improvement)
ill try what u said but i dont have much faith this will work(not cuz ur info is bad but cuz the hardware is). Ive done it just like this in the past and ended up unstable but ill try it :D .
Think maybe my proccesor is faulty.
furthest ive overclocked was something like 3.6ghz
but it was super unstable soon as i started p95 it bsod on me so i uped the voltage up to 1.4850 didnt wanna take it more then that and it was still unstable at that level.
Can any one tell me whats the max voltage i should use on my processor?
Thx for all the help im gona go try this now :)  fingers crossed
June 13, 2011 9:49:21 PM

Hey guys,
I followed ur steps and some how got it to 3.5ghz stable on 1.45v with 4 cores :)  . Thanks guys
June 14, 2011 8:23:32 PM

I had this problem with my old system I had a gtx 640, turned out to be a outdated GPU driver. Since you have solved the problem I will say no more :) 
!