Your question

New Build Will No Longer Start, Started Before

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 11, 2009 5:40:38 PM

I just built my first rig with the below specifications. Got everything running fantastically, but after a few hours, the computer abruptly shut down when I went to move it farther under my desk. I managed to revive it twice by just jiggling cables, but now it won't start up at all again:

Antec 300 Mid-ATX Case
bgears Tarantula 650watt power supply
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P Motherboard
Athlon Phenom II X3 2.8ghz
2x2GB Gskill DDR2 1066
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA
Basic LG IDE DVD Burner
Sapphire HD Radeon 4870 1GB

I just built this rig brand new for college. I spent about two hours putting it all together, and after both forgetting the 4 pin CPU Power (Thanks whoever made the sticky!) and the front panel connectors, I got it to work just fine. After a Windows 7 RC 64-bit OS install, I'm swimming in gametopia with Mercenaries 2 and super fast computing.

After a few hours of running, I went out with some friends, and the computer stayed on, including being used by my mother. When I came back, I used it for another hour or so before attempting to push it farther under my desk, so that my chair didn't bump it when I moved. It was at this point that it shut down for the first time. I frantically reopened and checked all the cables, and by moving the actual ATX cables coming out of the powersupply, the computer suddenly jumped to life again.

After about another hour, the computer died on me again, but this time, cable shuffling wasn't cutting it. I've reassembled everything twice, but no avail. Here's everything I can deduce:

-It's not any of my main hardware. All my components (CPU, graphics card, mobo, hard drive, memory) were working great.
- It must be either my PSU or something with my front header power switch. When I flip the PSU switch in the back, I can definitely hear the whine that there seems to be power feeding to it, but it still won't start. I've stripped it down to solely the mobo, CPU and PSU, but still nothing.

I know that was a wall of text, but I'm following Proximon's tips on writing a troubleshooting post. Please help me if you can, I'm so distressed my new beloved won't start!

More about : build longer start started

June 11, 2009 5:47:45 PM

Yea after reading that it is definitely sounding like it is a problem with your PSU. I have never really given advice on troubleshooting but I have never really heard of that PSU brand. You may have to get a new one or return the one you have if you can. I would still wait for advice from a few others on here to confirm everything. Good luck and hope you get it up and running soon!
June 11, 2009 5:56:28 PM

If it ends up being the PSU, I'll be overjoyed. Just having to RMA and pick another one would make me feel a lot better than if I have some serious issues going on. I'm going to see if any of my friends have a PSU tester to confirm.
Related resources
June 11, 2009 6:04:01 PM

Quote:
and by moving the actual ATX cables coming out of the powersupply, the computer suddenly jumped to life again.

First up, if you buy a cheap PSU you risk all sorts of issues.

Now, those cables are attached on both ends, at least some of them. Are you sure you didn't loosen the video card in it's slot, or some other component? Pushing the PC around with things connected in the back might have put pressure on something, like the DVI cable, pulling the video card out of it's socket. I would be checking all the connections first, including connections between parts.

Some appropriate PSUs for your system:

Single card:
Corsair 550VX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec EA 500

Smaller crossfire:

Corsair 650TX

Larger crossfire (such as two 4870s)

Corsair 750TX

Antec TP-750

PC P&C 750
June 11, 2009 6:09:03 PM

I was considering Crossfire, but I decided it's unnecessary at this point. Thanks for the PSU recs, but if this is indeed my PSU being dead, I'll probably spring a little bit more for the modular Corsair PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've checked the video card, but that's definitely not the problem, because the computer won't even start sans components. Just stripped to the motherboard, memory, CPU and PSU, it won't even nudge on.

Also, I checked up a lot on the bgears Tarantula, and all of the reviews seemed good, but apparently even well-reviewed PSUs are prone to being crappy.
June 11, 2009 6:15:50 PM

Yes any PSU can go bad. You need to be very careful about reviews however. There are only a handful of sites that know how to review a PSU. You can tell them by the internal shots, the tests of the various rails for both ripple and Vdroop, and stress testing.

If a PSU never shows up on one of those sites, then skip it.

That's a great price on the 520HX. Best I've ever seen on it. Good find.
June 11, 2009 7:18:53 PM

I am glad Proximon came on here to confirm it. And if you have no intention of doing CF then the 520HX is a extremely high quality PSU. And it being modular will help your case be a little more organized! : ) Good luck
June 11, 2009 7:41:34 PM

So I should RMA my power supply and upgrade to the Corsair 520HX?
June 11, 2009 8:00:13 PM

larfonsorn said:
So I should RMA my power supply and upgrade to the Corsair 520HX?

The only other thing I would do before that is to test your system with a PSU from a friends system if they are willing to let you. That way you can be 100% sure it is the PSU. Then after it is confirmed I would definitely RMA and upgrade to the 520HX. Hope all goes well.
June 11, 2009 8:01:33 PM

well first make sure that the psu is the problem...when one of my psu's died on me, I had a friend of mine lend me his psu just to double check that my computer ran with a new psu...
June 11, 2009 8:02:10 PM

well it seems like waynec121 beat me to it...lol
June 11, 2009 8:05:19 PM

ahslan said:
well it seems like waynec121 beat me to it...lol

lol its all good ill settle for a tie :D 
June 11, 2009 8:21:42 PM

The problem is, I don't have any friends that can lend me a PSU. My only friend who has a 24 pin ATX PSU just RMAed his for a build he's doing.

I mean, the worst case is I RMA a new one and end up in the same place I guess? At least I'll have a better quality supply.
June 11, 2009 9:37:14 PM

Just wanted to close out by saying it's definitely the power supply. I'm going to try again, but I went on the Antec site and did the "paper clip green to black" trick, and I still got nothing. RMA to Newegg, and Corsair here I come!

Thanks to everyone that helped!
June 11, 2009 11:34:37 PM

larfonsorn said:
Just wanted to close out by saying it's definitely the power supply. I'm going to try again, but I went on the Antec site and did the "paper clip green to black" trick, and I still got nothing. RMA to Newegg, and Corsair here I come!

Thanks to everyone that helped!

It is good to hear that you figured it out! Hopefully that new PSU comes quick and you will be up and running again soon!
!