Unable to boot in Safe Mode

When I press F8 during boot-up on my Notebook computer it will not boot-up
in Safe Mode.
My initial feeling was that there is a F8 keyboard problem, but Fn+F8
toggles the sound on & off to my speaker as normal.
Can this be a Windows XP Home software configuration problem?
Derek Nicholson
9 answers Last reply
More about unable boot safe mode

    By using Start>Run>msconfig>Boot.ini> and checking the box /Safe Boot the
    computer will boot in Safe Mode. However, it will not boot in Safe Mode
    from F8 at Startup.
    Derek Nicholson

    "Derek" <Derek@UK.invalid> wrote in message
    > When I press F8 during boot-up on my Notebook computer it will not boot-up
    > in Safe Mode.
    > My initial feeling was that there is a F8 keyboard problem, but Fn+F8
    > toggles the sound on & off to my speaker as normal.
    > Can this be a Windows XP Home software configuration problem?
    > Derek Nicholson

    F8 does not start in safe mode.
    Rather it shows a menu where you select the safe mode.

    --PA

    "Derek" <Derek@UK.invalid> wrote in message news:ecq4q0CXEHA.2176@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > When I press F8 during boot-up on my Notebook computer it will not boot-up
    > in Safe Mode.
    > My initial feeling was that there is a F8 keyboard problem, but Fn+F8
    > toggles the sound on & off to my speaker as normal.
    > Can this be a Windows XP Home software configuration problem?
    > Derek Nicholson

    I agree I worded the question badly. I should have said that the computer
    does not offer a bootup in Safe Mode or any other option when F8 is pressed
    on Power Up. There isn't an error message and continues to boot-up in
    normal mode without hesitation.
    My desktop computer performs normally, so I am aware of the sequence to
    expect when F8 is pressed at power up.
    Derek Nicholson

    "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
    > F8 does not start in safe mode.
    > Rather it shows a menu where you select the safe mode.
    >
    > --PA
    >
    > "Derek" <Derek@UK.invalid> wrote in message
    > > When I press F8 during boot-up on my Notebook computer it will not
    boot-up
    > > in Safe Mode.
    > > My initial feeling was that there is a F8 keyboard problem, but Fn+F8
    > > toggles the sound on & off to my speaker as normal.
    > > Can this be a Windows XP Home software configuration problem?
    > > Derek Nicholson

    Ok then, maybe, timeout value for the boot menu is 0 ( = no wait)

    --PA

    "Derek" <Derek@UK.invalid> wrote in message news:e3kboPGXEHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > I agree I worded the question badly. I should have said that the computer
    > does not offer a bootup in Safe Mode or any other option when F8 is pressed
    > on Power Up. There isn't an error message and continues to boot-up in
    > normal mode without hesitation.
    > My desktop computer performs normally, so I am aware of the sequence to
    > expect when F8 is pressed at power up.
    > Derek Nicholson
    >
    > "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
    > > F8 does not start in safe mode.
    > > Rather it shows a menu where you select the safe mode.
    > >
    > > --PA
    > >
    > > "Derek" <Derek@UK.invalid> wrote in message
    > > > When I press F8 during boot-up on my Notebook computer it will not
    > boot-up
    > > > in Safe Mode.
    > > > My initial feeling was that there is a F8 keyboard problem, but Fn+F8
    > > > toggles the sound on & off to my speaker as normal.
    > > > Can this be a Windows XP Home software configuration problem?
    > > > Derek Nicholson

    Derek,
    yes this is exactly that menu and timeout.
    So... maybe the keyboard is the culprit. Is it USB?
    Is USB legacy support enabled in BIOS?

    --PA

    "Derek" <Derek@UK.invalid> wrote in message news:%23JXdPdHXEHA.2940@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    Pavel, I am not sure exactly what you meant. I went to msconfig>Boot.ini, I see that Boot Loader timeout=30. Is this
    the boot menu time out you were referring to.
    Derek

    "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message news:uJ2GvcGXEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Ok then, maybe, timeout value for the boot menu is 0 ( = no wait)
    >
    > --PA
    >
    > "Derek" <Derek@UK.invalid> wrote in message news:e3kboPGXEHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > I agree I worded the question badly. I should have said that the computer
    > > does not offer a bootup in Safe Mode or any other option when F8 is pressed
    > > on Power Up. There isn't an error message and continues to boot-up in
    > > normal mode without hesitation.
    > > My desktop computer performs normally, so I am aware of the sequence to
    > > expect when F8 is pressed at power up.
    > > Derek Nicholson
    > >
    > > "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
    > > > F8 does not start in safe mode.
    > > > Rather it shows a menu where you select the safe mode.
    > > >
    > > > --PA
    > > >
    > > > "Derek" <Derek@UK.invalid> wrote in message
    > > boot-up

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Pavel,
    The computer is a laptop and the keyboard is an integral part of the
    computer, would this make it USB? Anyway, USB Legacy Support is Enabled in
    the BIOS Setup.
    Initially I thought that it might be the keyboard but as I said earlier, I
    use Fn+F8 to toggle on and off the sound to my speakers; This functions
    normally, so presumably the F8 key does not have a mechanical malfunction.
    Also when I press either F2 (BIOS Setup) or F12 (Boot Menu) during the
    power-up these functions operate normally.

    > Derek,
    > yes this is exactly that menu and timeout.
    > So... maybe the keyboard is the culprit. Is it USB?
    > Is USB legacy support enabled in BIOS?
    >
    > --PA
    >

    > "Derek" <Derek@UK.invalid> wrote in message
    > Pavel, I am not sure exactly what you meant. I went to msconfig>Boot.ini,
    I see that Boot Loader timeout=30. Is this
    > the boot menu time out you were referring to.
    > Derek
    >

    > "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
    > > Ok then, maybe, timeout value for the boot menu is 0 ( = no wait)
    > >
    > > --PA
    > >
    > > "Derek" <Derek@UK.invalid> wrote in message
    > > > I agree I worded the question badly. I should have said that the
    computer
    > > > does not offer a bootup in Safe Mode or any other option when F8 is
    pressed
    > > > on Power Up. There isn't an error message and continues to boot-up in
    > > > normal mode without hesitation.
    > > > My desktop computer performs normally, so I am aware of the sequence
    > > > expect when F8 is pressed at power up.
    > > > Derek Nicholson
    > > >
    > > > "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message

    > > > boot-up
    Fn+F8

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Derek wrote:

    > Initially I thought that it might be the keyboard but as I said earlier, I
    > use Fn+F8 to toggle on and off the sound to my speakers; This functions
    > normally, so presumably the F8 key does not have a mechanical malfunction.
    > Also when I press either F2 (BIOS Setup) or F12 (Boot Menu) during the
    > power-up these functions operate normally.

    You need to wait for your BIOS to finish loading and just when the black
    Windows XP boot screen with the load bar animation appears that is when
    you start tapping F8 until your machine beeps. Then you should get a
    menu that allows you to select one of several Safe Modes.

    Tap vigorously. Start tapping even before the boot screen appears. You
    only have a few seconds.

    --
    Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thank you Kent, that solved my problem on my Acer Notebook. I was trying to
    press F8 while the notification about F2 & F12 were on the screen. My
    desktop (Dell) has a slightly different on screen presentation during
    bootup, the F2 & F12 instruction doesn't appear and I press F8 after the
    Adaptec SCSI loads. Hence the confusion on my part.
    Again thank you Kent and Pavel for the assistance.
    Derek Nicholson

    "Kent W. England [MVP]" <kwe@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Derek wrote:
    >
    > > Initially I thought that it might be the keyboard but as I said earlier,
    > > use Fn+F8 to toggle on and off the sound to my speakers; This functions
    > > normally, so presumably the F8 key does not have a mechanical
    malfunction.
    > > Also when I press either F2 (BIOS Setup) or F12 (Boot Menu) during the
    > > power-up these functions operate normally.
    >
    > You need to wait for your BIOS to finish loading and just when the black
    > Windows XP boot screen with the load bar animation appears that is when
    > you start tapping F8 until your machine beeps. Then you should get a
    > menu that allows you to select one of several Safe Modes.
    >
    > Tap vigorously. Start tapping even before the boot screen appears. You
    > only have a few seconds.
    >
    > --
    > Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Derek wrote:

    > Thank you Kent, that solved my problem on my Acer Notebook. I was trying to
    > press F8 while the notification about F2 & F12 were on the screen.

    You're welcome. I would like to see them make the boot menu easier to
    find. Your difficulty is quite common.

    --
    Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security

Configuration Safe Mode Boot Windows XP