E-ATX mobo in a NON E-ATX Case !!

leefuji

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Hi,
I'm building a new rig and the mobo that im getting is gonna be an Extended ATX and the Case that I like is a MidTower Case that only takes Micro & ATX mobos .. is there any way that I can modify the mobo's panel in the case to make it take E-ATX mobo , I mean the difference between the two is that much 12"x9.6" vs 12"x10.35" ... and would that cause a problem of having the slots or jacks not align to the cases back opening ?

Thanks

Solution
The standard atx form factor was established in 1995. The extended atx form factor was originally intended for servers and high performance work stations. The physical dimensions for the e-atx were flexible . The e-atx board could be up to 12 inches by 13 inches in size.

In your situation the 12 inches is the height of the motherboard when installed in a tower case. The 10.35 inches is the width or distance from front to back.

My own case is a full tower. I installed a standard atx motherboard. There are extra holes in the motherboard tray just to the front of the atx motherboard for a larger e-atx board.
it could cause problems if you don't have enough room

the easy way to do it, is rill holes that are the same size as the ones in the tray at the positions needed, not too hard (actually helped my friend do this once). Though like above, it will depend if you actually have enough room in the case to physically fit the board

leefuji

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Well the case is a midtower but its more of a bigger than a usual midtower so case wise i think i might be ok . Now the slots the mobo's I/O panel should fine correct , because i think that's fixed on all mobos . its just the end facing the front that might longer right ?

The standard atx form factor was established in 1995. The extended atx form factor was originally intended for servers and high performance work stations. The physical dimensions for the e-atx were flexible . The e-atx board could be up to 12 inches by 13 inches in size.

In your situation the 12 inches is the height of the motherboard when installed in a tower case. The 10.35 inches is the width or distance from front to back.

My own case is a full tower. I installed a standard atx motherboard. There are extra holes in the motherboard tray just to the front of the atx motherboard for a larger e-atx board.

Solution
13thmonkey - I doubt the psu and cpu will be a problem because the height of a standard atx and an extended atx board in this situation are the same. It's the extra space needed for the e-atx motherboard at the front end of the tower case. The hard drive cage and drives might get in the way in a mid-tower case that was not designed for e-atx boards. It just depends on how much space is available. I know 9.6 inches versus 10.35 inches does not sound like much but it could be a problem.

leefuji

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006

Well that's not gonna be a problem in this case because the PSU installs at the bottom. And from looking at the pictures of some who have this case and are using a GTX295 which is huge you can still see a good 2-3 inches gap between the end of the card and the HDD cage and the card is already sticking out at least 1-2 inches from the boards end which is an ATX . My only concern is the screws but as someone said the ATX and E-ATX already share the majority of the screw holes so prolly I will just need to drill 1-2 extra holes on the right end of the mobo to get that stable instead of just hanging.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
bump.

Hey my 9th year asking same question....

10.5 inch wide board, where is the sneaky, elsusive, silented backshelfed railroaded atx case made of SECC that will take the extra .9 inches?
Anybody? Calling all planet earth..can anybody answer this?

I find the alibabas, the japanese dialected, chinese marketing sites with perfect SSI CEB cases nowhere to be found in the usa..
who has got 100k to spare for an investment, they could triple their money for case that takes ceb, and atx...and not eatx... :hello: anybody? I am over here in the starving usa...