How to request a benchmark

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Hello, I would like to know how to request that toms does a benchmark on 2 types of builds.

Given the new tech coming out with 24 gigs of ram and all I am curious to know what kind of error count the non ecc ram scores in a X58 and how a server build on a Xeon fairs against a similar build on a X58 both with SLI and crossfire.

Building a gaming comptuer with server hardware is cheaper or at least close to the same price...

Servers don't require SLI or Crossfire and it doesn't make much sense to build one with 24 GB of RAM on an X58 chipset. A server has to be reliable and stable instead being the fastest gaming system.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
You can build workstations (which some can take advantage of multi-GPU) critical project with server-orientated hardware. You don't want to loose hours of hard work afterall.
It's also possible to build 1P servers by mixing with some carefully selected desktop parts and still achieve the same reliability as a full-blown 2P server.

In fact the underlying platform for both server and workstation is a blurred line.
What is clear though is reliability vs. pure speed as GhislainG mentioned. Which is comparing apple to oranges.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
im sorry i should clarify, i ment using server components to build a gaming machine comperable to a X58, last i looked on the futuremark ORB a Xeon was beating out the X975 by 500 points. I would like to see both system put up agaist each other in a gaming since

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
That's handpicked LGA1336 w3500s Bloomfield. Same as i7 900s, but usually slightly higher binned and with ECC RAM support added to its IMC so it can used for server/workstation. The underlying platform & parts are still enthusiast components.

I had a X3220 (100% identical to Q6600) which I used to do benchmarking back then.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
im just planing to build a new system soon and dont know if im going i7 or Xeon, I have done a fair amount of work with servers and I have a hard time putting faith in 24GB worth of non ECC ram.. just seems like a horrible idea to me. I have heard that some X58 boards will support a Xeon and then they can use ECC ram but the manufactures dont claim this to be the case (or at lest they dont advertise it).