Sign in with
Your question

MCP35x vs. X20

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
May 20, 2011 12:50:20 AM

If I were to go with a loop that consisted of....

1-MCW80 GPU Block

1-XSPC Rasa CPU Block

1-3x120mm XSPC Rad

1-2x120 Swiftech MCR-220 Quiet Power Series

Would i want to spring for an MCP35x? (The MCP35x is the pump I am leaning towards as it has been considered one of the best and has had great reviews all across the board.)

I already have the XSPC X20 res/pump combo and I am not sure if it is enough.

The only comparison/review I have found so far is...

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=889&page=6 - This review pits the X20 against the MCP655, and it does come up a bit short, but the review still considers the pump a good overall value.

What do you guys think?

More about : mcp35x x20

a c 330 K Overclocking
May 20, 2011 1:03:04 PM

The Rasa pump should be fine to run that, but the MCP35x is the best there is (outside of anything that is Iwaki, etc. and even those are very large, loud pumps).

Radiators are one of the most low-resistance components for flow in a system, so you could run 2, 3, 4 or 5 rads and still be lower resistance than adding a single block. There are a lot of folks that run CPU + SLI/Crossfire loops with dual rads and are fine. However, if you are thinking long-term planning, the 35x is an excellent choice. Not to say the Rasa pump combo wouldn't be, but Laing pumps are known for longevity and performance...the Rasa pump combos haven't been out that long to really know how they stand the test of time.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 20, 2011 4:52:56 PM

Thanks Rubix. What sort of temperature differences or flowrate differences would you estimate between the two of them in the loop i mentioned above?

I am leaning towards getting the MCP35x... but am still curious as to what sort of difference it will make. I like the idea that it lasts long and is good to have in the long term.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 330 K Overclocking
May 20, 2011 5:53:12 PM

Rasa Kit w/X20 pump
Pump performance: 750 lph
Delivery head: 1.8m

MCP35x pump
Max nominal discharge (@12 V): ~ 4.75 GPM (17.5 LPM) = (17.5 x 60 mins = 1050 lph)
Max. nominal head (@12 V): 14.7 ft (4.4m)

m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 20, 2011 9:37:10 PM

so the MCP35x is 1.4x the pump flowrate and 2.44x the pump head pressure when compared to the X20.

Sounds like i will be going with the swiftech pump then because the MCW80, which is the GPU block i plan to get, is pretty restrictive and along with a CPU Block and a couple radiators, i will want more performance than the X20 can provide.

Thanks Rubix.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 20, 2011 10:33:41 PM

LC it is a very addictive habbit, I mean Hobby!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 21, 2011 12:51:10 AM

You're not kidding Ortoklaz.

Also, this is a bit off topic, but would it be acceptable to post a project thread on the watercooling forum here at Toms? I haven't really seen many system projects on here and am looking to start one this summer, I would much rather do it here as I am most active on this forum but if there shouldn't be threads started about build-logs or system projects i can always take it over to xtremesystems.org or somewhere else.

Edit: One more question I have that is related to this topic is... Will the MCP35x go into a Dual 5.25" bay reservior that is designed to fit a DDC pump w/o the housing or would one need to get the housing to mount the pump in the res?
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
May 21, 2011 2:28:53 AM

Yes, my understanding is that the MCP35x fits the same DDC mounts as it's cousins the MCP350/355's. I'd say give Swiftech an email or quick look on their site...they almost always have engineering diagrams for their gear, so it should be easy to check that way...or email them. I know that Gabe is fairly active on OverClock.net and XtremeSystems.org WC forums.

Also, to address the build log idea...yes, I would like to see some of these. I'd say opening a new thread with your info/photos and then link to that in the club/gallery photos as well as posting some of the pics.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 21, 2011 4:33:22 PM

I think I have decided 100+ $ is too much for a pump w/ housing, that with lower restriction, isnt all that much better than the MCP655, for the price especially. So I think i will go with the 1200lph MCP655.

Another factor that helped me decide on the 655 is that I am not all that interested in PWM.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 21, 2011 4:42:08 PM

Laing D5 Vario is one of the best pumps and very quite ,you going to love it
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 21, 2011 6:50:13 PM

I hope so, I will be going with the Basic version though. The only difference i noticed is there is no ability to adjust pump speed with the Laing D5 Basic.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 21, 2011 7:13:24 PM

for like 15$ extra you can get 655 vario (just a natch stronger then basic) that offer adjustability and the potential for better performance than the D5-Basic
D5 basic will allow speed control via Tach Sensor (fan controller );
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc12vdcpuw.html
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
May 23, 2011 12:16:52 AM

I have been running the 655 for about 6 years now...it works great for me. The non-vario is set to about speed 4 compared to 1-5 of the vario. If you can get a few more bucks, the vario is great on 5, but either way, both pumps are solid.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 23, 2011 1:10:27 AM

will running the pump on 5 24/7 do any harm in the long term?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 23, 2011 4:03:44 AM

no it won't ,why would you want to run it on 5 ?,for single CPU/GPU you probably won't see
any difference ,on the other hand if you have CF/SLI or some type of restrictions in your loop setting at 4~5 should come handy,i can run my pump at 3 or 5 with exactly same temps
Martin just did small test on MCPx35 which is a lot more powerful then D5 ,the difference between lowest setting and highest was around 2C

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
May 23, 2011 1:34:00 PM

One nice thing about the 35x is PWM...if you ramp up your rig and your motherboard sensors pick up that temps are rising, the 35x will increase flow to accommodate the temp increase. This can be nice so that it idles down once your machine slows back down and idles as well.

However, like ortoklaz mentioned, the D5 on 3-5 usually isn't a great deal difference in temps, unless you notice you have some restriction to take into account.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 23, 2011 1:59:44 PM

the MCW80 is a fairly restrictive block, and along with 2 rads and a CPU block I wanted to make sure I could get good performance out of the pump without damaging it in any way. Thanks for the info guys.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
May 23, 2011 2:02:20 PM

You wouldn't damage a pump, even with a restrictive block. The only way to really damage a pump is by running it dry.

The MCW80's are a little more restrictive than the MCW60's (from my understanding) which are pretty decent, flow-wise. They both are more restrictive than most full cover blocks, but CPU blocks are typically the MOST restrictive in a loop due to their design utilizing ports, jets and impingement to maximize performance.

You'll be fine with either pump you choose.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 23, 2011 2:10:15 PM

With regards to damage, I was referring to running the pump on 5 24/7 in response to ortoklaz. I read about the MCW80's being more restrictive than the MCW60's as well.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
May 23, 2011 2:18:04 PM

No, shouldn't be an issue. In fact, it's probably better for a water pump to run 24/7 than to startup/shut down every day.
m
l
!