Sign in with
Your question
Closed

One SSD and one HDD

Last response: in Storage
February 20, 2011 11:10:34 PM

I have a few questions about having both an SSD and a HDD in my system simultaneously running, from bootup to shut down. The main purpose of the SSD is to store important Windows files, while the purpose of the HDD will be storing everything else like Program Files, System Restores, etc.

1. Is that possible to do what I want?
2. Will my computer be faster than just booting off of an HDD?
3. Will my performance be any greater, or my HDD will limit everything?
4. What will be some limits to doing so?

Thank you :) 

More about : ssd hdd

February 20, 2011 11:51:08 PM

Hi, Answer to your first question is Yes I am running that now, my main drive is a patriot inferno 240gb which runs my windows and my other 2 drives are a 1 terabyte Seagate which i down load and run my programs from,and the other is a 280 gigabyte WD, which i store my music and photos on. question 2 i also yes it will boot faster.
no your HHD will not limit your performance.
Score
a b G Storage
February 21, 2011 1:53:37 PM

Hi.

1- Yeah, all that is possible.
2- Using your SSD as boot drive yeah, but I recommend don't move the page file to another drive unless that you have 8GB RAM or more. Disable system restore only if you are sure that you won't need that some day.
3- No, both drives works independent.
4- What limits do you mean?
Score
Related resources
February 21, 2011 2:28:12 PM

2. So can I ask what is a page file, and how do I keep it in the SSD if I were to do this in a combination?
4. And by limits, something that would be slowed down due to me having a HDD, like my games executing slightly slower since it will be allocated in the HDD rather than the SSD.

And another quick question, how do I split everything like that, like my Program Files and System Restore to D:, and the Windows to C:?
Score
a b G Storage
February 21, 2011 2:42:34 PM

2- This is a "virtual" memory located in your SSD or HD that gives you the possibility to access to frequently used programs more fast that a non-commune used program.
4- Not a problem, like I say the SSD and HD are independent and running a game from your SSD or HD don't affect to the other one.

Aditional question: Windows is installed on C: as well system restore. For programs you can select custom installation and select the location for install, but Program Files can¡t be moved from C:
Score
February 22, 2011 10:46:28 PM

So let's say I had Firefox or another game on my HDD, I assume it would not open/run as fast as it would on the SSD, though I would most likely put it in my SSD if I get one, and if some programs that boot up that are on the HDD, will load slower than it would on the SSD.
Score

Best solution

a b G Storage
February 23, 2011 3:00:50 AM

Correct. Applications or games installed in you HDD will not open as fast as if you have installed it on your SSD.

The boot load will be the same, pretty fast using your SSD. You will see the desktop pretty fast, but the programs that is installed in the HDD will take more time to load.
February 27, 2011 2:19:29 AM

Thank you very much :) 
Score
February 27, 2011 2:19:37 AM

Best answer selected by reprotected.
Score
a b G Storage
February 27, 2011 3:31:55 PM

This topic has been closed by Saint19
Score
!