Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SATA III AND USB 3.0 QUESTION ....

Last response: in Storage
February 21, 2011 12:15:18 AM

to those who currently use SATA III and USB 3.0, is there a noticeable difference ? In your opinion would it be worth upgrading a mother board and hardrives to get this technology ?

More about : sata iii usb question

a b V Motherboard
a c 415 G Storage
February 21, 2011 2:09:07 AM

You will find no difference between 3GBit/sec SATA and 6Gbit/sec SATA if you're using hard drives, because hard drives' maximum sustained transfer rates are only around 1 to 1.5Gbit/sec. Only a relatively few very fast SSDs actually require 6Gbit/sec SATA in order to reach their full potential performance.

USB is another matter because best transfer rates you can get out of USB 2.0 are only around 30-40MB/sec and most hard drives are considerably faster than that. So if you plan to connect external hard drives via USB then you'll be much better off with USB 3.0 than with 2.0.
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2011 2:17:56 AM

but isnt sata 3 supposed to transfer at 6gb/s with a sata 3 harddrive ? i was planning on just getting a new board anyways and its gunna have the 6gb/s and usb 3.0 sooo thanks
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a c 415 G Storage
February 21, 2011 5:05:18 PM

This of SATA 3GBit/sec and 6Gbit/sec like highways with 30MPH and 60MPH speed limits. The speed limit sets the MAXIMUM possible speed, but it doesn't mean that every vehicle can actually go that fast.

A very fast SSD is like a car - it'll go faster on a 60MPH road than a 30MPH one. But a hard drive is like a bicycle - it can't even go as fast as 30MPH (usually), let alone 60MPH - so a bike won't get there any faster if it takes a freeway as opposed to a city street.

The reason hard drives have this limitation is because the data can only be read or written as fast as the platters spin. If a track holds 1MB of data and the platters spin at 7200RPM (120 times/sec), then the maximum data rate is 120MByte/sec (about 1GBit/sec). Without increasing the speed of the drive to something like 20,000RPM you're just not going to get anything more out of them than SATA 3Gbit/sec can give you.
February 21, 2011 6:28:32 PM

gotcha good well that solve my issue thanks
m
l
February 21, 2011 6:28:48 PM

Best answer selected by rollaballinc.
m
l
July 16, 2012 10:13:06 PM

sminlal said:
You will find no difference between 3GBit/sec SATA and 6Gbit/sec SATA if you're using hard drives, because hard drives' maximum sustained transfer rates are only around 1 to 1.5Gbit/sec. Only a relatively few very fast SSDs actually require 6Gbit/sec SATA in order to reach their full potential performance.

USB is another matter because best transfer rates you can get out of USB 2.0 are only around 30-40MB/sec and most hard drives are considerably faster than that. So if you plan to connect external hard drives via USB then you'll be much better off with USB 3.0 than with 2.0.

Hmm...I did a test using a SATA 6.0 Hard Drive to another SATA 6,
And, I did the same from the SATA 3.0 hard drive to a SATA 3.0 Hard drive.. I used the same Acronis BU data. First one was faster. Both SATA 6.0 were 64 cache.
m
l
!