Intel stock cooler-thermal paste question

dblake

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I'm going to use the Intel stock cooler with my i7-920 (at least for the time being) & am in a quandry about wether to apply thermal paste to the cpu.

I notice the bottom of the stock cooler has 3 neat lines of paste already applied by the factory.

Should I put some on the cpu also or just slap the cooler on & use the factory stuff?

In other words, one surface or both?

ferny12345623

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
wipe away the thermal paste that came with the stock cooler its crap. then apply new thermal paste to the cpu not the cooler! do not use to much. there are different ways of applying it. some say make a "X" in the center of the cpu others find that a "dot" in the center of the cpu is best and let the preassure of the cooler spread it evenly. either way is good just don't use to much or to little.

dblake

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
thanks for the replies & the links.

i've decided to try it with the stock paste on cooler only & then if temps are too hot pull it apart & redo with as5.

i'm aware of the tricky push pins. the mobo will be out of the case so i should be able to double check them.

i'll report back temps once its all together.

there are a hell of a lot of conflicting opinions on this subject. No wonder theres so many posts on it. tho i suspect a lot of it is caused by oc vs not oc.