Help needed to cut cost on new midrange rig

BUDGET RANGE: $600-700

from most to least: web browsing, HD video playback, gaming.

WD 640Gb Caviar 7K 16M WD6400AAKS
Dell 22' monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: and if the shipping cost for the case is too high, I'll buy it from the local Microcomputer store.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Going with an AMD build for the first time. Prefer a mid-range ATI card.

OVERCLOCKING: I am going to overclock the CPU (trying for the first time)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: native resolution for 22' monitor

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The comp will be used as my main computer and I'll be using it for mainly: web browsing, video playback, and gaming (once Starcraft 2 comes out). I want to hook it up to my HDTV so I can watch videos on there but my monitor will be main display.

I currently have these parts picked out:

AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W --- $169.00
G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) --- $65.00
SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 --- $180.00
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V --- $100.00
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW ATX Mid --- $60.00
LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner SATA OEM --- $24.00
Scythe SCKTN-3000 92mm Sleeve "KATANA3" 3Heat Pipes --- $24.00

Total $764.93

There are actually mail-in rebates for a couple of my items and they reduce the total amount by $30. I'm choosing the PhenomII X4 810 because the ability to use DDR3 with it. I was deciding between Asus and Gb boards and decided to go with Gb. I picked HD4870 single card thinking it would suffice my future gaming needs for Starcraft 2, and I don't plan on playing FPS with max settings. I'm not exactly sure on the case and psu, maybe there's room to cut price there? Also I wonder if the Scythe HSF will be much better than the stock fan... Thanks for the help in advance!
6 answers Last reply
More about help needed cost midrange
  1. Since you say you are waiting for Starcraft 2 as am I, is there any other games that would require a 4870. Personally I think that would be overkill if all you plan on is playing games such as Starcraft 2, etc. Myself personally will be buying a 4770 or something similar as I am not a hardcore gamer. Since the 4770 is OOS, you could go with a 4850 and save almost $100, and then down the road get a DX11 card when they come out in the fall.

Also I think you could get away with a Corsair 550W instead of the 650W....but it is only $10 cheaper on Newegg so I think it would be worth it for $10 more to stay with the 650W.
  2. Thanks for the feedbacks. I've decided to drop the video card down to a HD4850 1GB card. The deals on newegg look to be around $120 shipped. I'm looking at either the XFX or the HIS card.
    I'm also changing the PSU to Antec 650W.
    Do I even need that much power for my rig? I heard from a friend that I can prolly do 500W or less with my setup if I don't plan on ugprading. Is having more power capability a bad thing? Because the prices for PSU at 500W or 600W range are similar. I'm sticking with the AMD cpu and AM3 mobo. I like the idea of going to a newer technology DDR3.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to add a bluRay drive to my original build. I'm looking at the LG one ->
    So it's going to be +$86 for the drive. Doing the math: +86 (bluRay) - $60 (HD4850) - $35 (PSU) = -$9 from original build.
  3. XFX 4870 1GB

$127 after using sizzle15 code. Also you can sign up for cash back on and save another 5%.
  4. A very good deal on case + psu would easily save you about $ ends on 15th so hurry...

And your friend is correct about the power supply but you would get the 650W cheaper than the 500W...
  5. The XFX HD4870 looks nice. I'm going to get that. I'm also going to get the Antec PSU + case combo however there's a $15 shipping cost so I'm going to shop around at the local computer store tmr to check prices for cases + PSU and see if they have similar priced deals.

Edit: one last question is that do I need a HSF for the PhenomII X4 cpu? or does the included fan do the job? The one I picked in the original build is kind of random...
  6. That's a great deal for that Antec EA-650, with or without the case combo. If you get the Antec case, you also won't have the quality issues that seem to plague every low-end Coolermaster case I ever bought. All were minor, like untapped screw holes, but still a nuisance. Low-end Rosewill cases are similar internally but don't have tool-free drive mounting. They are cheaper but don't have the quality problems.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product