New build unexpectedly dies

miller2112

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
I just built a new system this weekend and fired it up Sunday.

Antec 300 case
i7 920
2 tb WD Green HDD
12gb Corsair DDR3 RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX3800
Corsair 850TX PSU

I installed Vista32 on it, no problems, it was humming along. So after I got all the drivers on it, I decided to shut everything down, unplug it, and open the case back up to work on cable management and airflow. I did not remove any of the main power cables, just used some ties to move them out of the Quadro and HDD's way. I also moved it back to the anti static mat and used proper grounding. So, when I got everything up to standards, I brought the case back to my office and plugged it in. When I flipped the switch.....nothing, zilch...nada.

No power, nothing, like a dead car battery. I opened up the case, re-plugged in the power connectors and also tried other outlets in the house. Could my PSU have died that quickly? Should I be concerned about the other components??

miller2112

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
yep, I realize that. I was going to dual-boot with Windows 7 64bit and use it for Solidworks and other optimized programs. Just putting Vista on first and then doing a partition.

miller2112

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
made sure that the switch on the PSU was off when i plugged in, then turned it to on and tried to fire it up...nothing, I unplugged all hardware except for the motherboard

I think the PSU is faulty because NOTHING starts, the fans the board, nothing

miller2112

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
i think I'm going to try and send this one back to Corsair, it shouldnt die like that after a few uses!

Maybe I'll buy a spare in the meantime