G

Hi..
Today i started overcloking CPU's for the first time.. Nice results.

The max i did go was 20%.. Original core 2.20 ghz.. OC 2.65 ghz.

Well.. I want like 2.8 ghz or 3.0 ghz.. But stable, i only got 2.84 ghz.. And in the stress test it failed..

maxicango.png

I noticed that when i try to push more than 240 in the manual.. The memory on the rams just go higher than 800mhz.. And the system almost allways crashes.. Can this be a problem or limit in the memory's? Or it's just a Vcore "problem" per say?

I really want to achieve 3.0.. If someone can help me.. I would apreciate.

My system:

Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-AM EPU

600w 1Life PS:Jet PSU

ATi 5670 1gb Asus version

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 (Stock 2.2 ghz.. 20% OC 2.65 ghz)

4gigs of Trascend DDr2 667 mhz.. (Cant go more than 800 mhz)

Btw.. Stock cooler.

If someone could help me in something or any idea.. I would really apreciate :p

(And sorry for my bad english.. Im Portuguese)

festerovic

Distinguished
You are correct, when you raise FSB, the RAM gets overclocked. you have to change the speed of the RAM in the BIOS to be one setting lower. You are at 667, set it to 533. You can probably hit over 3.0ghz on that chip, I have managed on 2 x e4400 to get past 3.0ghz.

your english is better than many natives, kudos.

G

Thx.. But the temps are very very low x:

Rarely getting on 70º..

I think its a vcore or a ram problem.

Dont have an idea.. More opinions please?

festerovic

Distinguished
Yeah, I said it was your RAM, read above. You are right, if the temps are cool, and you are not overclocking very much, then WTF is going on? The usual suspect in this case would be RAM, and next would be PSU. I've never heard of 600w 1Life PS:Jet PSU is it good quality?

If it's not the speed of the RAM, its the voltage. Is RAM voltage at 2.1v?

G

The psu i think its good.. And about the ram i really dont know..

But i think at 1.2 like the cpu.

festerovic

Distinguished
OOf, if you have the setting for Vcore at 1.2 that could be your problem. It wants more juice than that for 3.0+.

Also DDR2 Ram runs at 1.8v or greater, not 1.2v. You may need to manually adjust the RAM voltage in the DRAM setup section of the BIOS.

G

Can't do that :x

Thx anyways for the help.

Motherboard isnt good for OC.. So :\

Thanks men!

G

And im afraid to burn the cpu or motherboard :x

It's safe to increase the voltages?

rreeder

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I agree with festerovic about the ram automatically overclocking with the cpu. Set ram manually in bios to locked in setting or a lower frequency that your ram can handle when CPU is overclocked.

G

The only way to start the "pc" is with auto ram when OC'd.. If i oc the cpu and put the rams in 667 mhz.. They will just start over 800 mhz and crash :x

festerovic

Distinguished
Then it sounds like when you set the RAM to manual, you need to set the timings along with the frequency. When it picks auto, it may not be the best for the RAM or your system.

Try 5-5-5-25 or 6-6-6-28 for "loose" timings for those particular RAM modules.