My (bad) Seagate experience

ononimo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Hi all.

Just for your info.

I bought 3 Seagate drives 2.5 years ago for a RAID 5 system. All failed at different data because the firmware "error". Sometimes the disk was there and sometimes not. Many RAID rebuilds and time lost.

All the disks were in warranty, of course, but every change took a month or more time. But the real problem is that the new disks are failing too. More time and data lost.

Beware Seagate drives. I'll never will buy them again if I can.

I feel the same way.

Seagate used to compete with WD, but once they acquired Maxtor (late 2005/early2006-ish), they started integrating their cheaper production processes.

I do have a pre-Maxtor Seagate external drive that's still working 6.5 years later, though. It's the post-Maxtor purchase era Seagates that are junk.

ononimo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

My old Seagate disks have not fail.
I've seen many people has lost data because Seagate disks. All brands fail but my experience with Seagate is very very bad.

western digital has their problems as well.

avoid the corsair black 1.5tb model as it appears to be flawed. i've had 3 fail on me so far and i'm beginning to regret my purchase. to make matters worse the one drive i got sent as a replacement...failed in only 2 weeks!

maxtor used to make a great drive. the diamondmax10 was a beast.

Good to know. I'll stay away from the 1.5TB. Were they at least under warranty?

The Maxtors seemed to have had impeccable timing as they would fail just after the warranty expired.