Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Suggest graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 1, 2009 9:23:36 AM

Hi,

I'm a newbie, planning to buy a desktop to play games like AOE 3, AOM, Rome-total war, warcraft .......etc

These are the specifications I am considering.
Processor: Core2duo (2.53 GHz) -E7200
Mother board: Intel original x48 motherboard (suggestions r welcome)
RAM: 2GB DDR2 RAM
Hard disk: SATA2 320GB

I have the following questions. Plz forgive me if my questions are naive but I dunno much about computer hardware.

Does x48 motherboard have a built-in graphics card?
If yes, is it good enough to play the games I play.
If not, which external graphics card do u suggest?
plz don't just suggest a high-end graphics card just because it's the best there it is.
I want a graphics card good enough for the games I play and which gives the money's worth.

Please reply.
Thank you.

More about : suggest graphics card

a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2009 9:41:30 AM

Im not sure if that board has onboard.

If it does, it probably won't run warcraft very well though.

for a decent budget card i would suggest a nvidia ge-force 8600GTS.

It is a decent card that you should be able to pick up for under 50 $ With you config you should then be able to max out warcraft.

hope this helps.

EDIT:
X48 may or may not have onboard video. depends on the manufacturer.
July 1, 2009 10:48:36 AM

N.Broekhuijsen said:
Im not sure if that board has onboard.

If it does, it probably won't run warcraft very well though.

for a decent budget card i would suggest a nvidia ge-force 8600GTS.

It is a decent card that you should be able to pick up for under 50 $ With you config you should then be able to max out warcraft.

hope this helps.

EDIT:
X48 may or may not have onboard video. depends on the manufacturer.

Thanks for the reply.
One of my friends suggested Radeon 4670.
How does it compare with nvidia ge-force 8600GTS performance-wise and price-wise?
Related resources
July 1, 2009 10:52:07 AM

One more naive Question.

Will there be any compatibility problems between motherboard and graphic cards??

Best solution

July 1, 2009 11:13:18 AM

x48 does not have onboard, regardless i dont recommend it since you're only getting an e7200 and you barely have any intention to get dual graphics cards, or even a decent single one. Save your money and go with a p45 chipset. I agree with the 4670, it would maul an 8600gts, and its more efficient... would be more than enough for warcraft.

You could also look at the 4770, the 4830, or the 4850. The 4770's are hard to come by, so i suppose they're out for now. You may be able to find a 4830 for around $80, if so, go for it. I think the 4850 is goin for about $100, which is also a good deal, but you don't seem to be interested in cards that high end.

Are you building a complete rig... i don't see a power supply there, you may need a decent one for some of these video cards.
July 1, 2009 11:14:00 AM

no
July 1, 2009 11:21:51 AM

kevin1212 said:
x48 does not have onboard, regardless i dont recommend it since you're only getting an e7200 and you barely have any intention to get dual graphics cards, or even a decent single one. Save your money and go with a p45 chipset. I agree with the 4670, it would maul an 8600gts, and its more efficient... would be more than enough for warcraft.

You could also look at the 4770, the 4830, or the 4850. The 4770's are hard to come by, so i suppose they're out for now. You may be able to find a 4830 for around $80, if so, go for it. I think the 4850 is goin for about $100, which is also a good deal, but you don't seem to be interested in cards that high end.

Are you building a complete rig... i don't see a power supply there, you may need a decent one for some of these video cards.

Yes, I'm assembling a complete system. Which SMPS do u suggest if I go for p45 motherboard and radeon 4670 or better card??
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2009 12:12:17 PM

rajesh51 said:
Hi,

I'm a newbie, planning to buy a desktop to play games like AOE 3, AOM, Rome-total war, warcraft .......etc

These are the specifications I am considering.
Mother board: Intel original x48 motherboard (suggestions r welcome)
RAM: 2GB DDR2 RAM
Hard disk: SATA2 320GB

I have the following questions. Plz forgive me if my questions are naive but I dunno much about computer hardware.

Does x48 motherboard have a built-in graphics card?
If yes, is it good enough to play the games I play.
If not, which external graphics card do u suggest?
plz don't just suggest a high-end graphics card just because it's the best there it is.
I want a graphics card good enough for the games I play and which gives the money's worth.

Please reply.
Thank you.

No, the x48 chipset does not include an IGP.
It is also overpriced and over hyped when compared to a P45 based board.
Look into an ASUS or Gigabyte P45 based motherboard, the Intel original ones are pretty lame.

Defiantly get a quality 4Gb set of DDR2 800.
As RAM is dirt cheap, there is no real excuse to have less.

As for which GPU is best for you...
It really depends on what resolution you are playing at.
Defiantly do NOT get an 8600 series card.
They are outdated and way underpowered.

For low to moderate resolution gaming, I would recommend either a 4670 512Mb or a 4770/4850 512Mb.
The 4670 is good enough for gaming at 1280x1024 but will start getting stressed at 1680x1050.
A 4770/4850 (of the two, the 4850 is a little faster but draws more power) will treat you great at 1680x1050.
If you are gaming at 1920x1200 or higher, spend a little more on a 4870 1Gb.

Make sure to post your exact configuration (and links for the components) for review before you pull the trigger.
If you do, we can give it a quick review and see if there is anything that should be changed.
July 1, 2009 1:21:03 PM

There are alot of power supplies to choose from. For me, there are some requirements, first of all, it must be 80plus certified at least. And ideally, but not necessarily, adequate amount of pcie pin connectors for whatever video card setup i'll be using.

This one for example... (kind of an OCZ fan)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I missed where u had 2GB of ram... i agree with outlw6669, get 4GB, as they are affordable and is really the norm these days in terms of requirements. Take a look at these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
anything similar to those will be fine.
July 2, 2009 5:42:15 PM

Hi,

Thanks a million to all of you for your great suggestions.
I'm going for
Mother board: P45 motherboard
RAM: 4GB DDR2 RAM (2 x 2GB) (I'm getting only one 2 GB now, will get the other one later)
Hard disk: SATA2 500GB 7200 rpm
Video card :Radeon 4670 512Mb(wil go for better if d price difference is less)
Power supply: OCZ500MX or OCZ600MX (I'm a little flexible here, will decide when I get to the store)
Some ATX cabinet with front USB and audio with good cooling capacity

As I was surfing for motherboards and power supplies, I heard the term "crossfire" everywhere
What's that?

Once again, thanks a million for your invaluable feedback.
Will inform the cost and pull the trigger then
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2012 11:48:06 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!