Master file table repair vista

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Windows Vista
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 21, 2011 7:42:35 AM

Hello, I have two 320GB HDDs on my HP Vista desktop and the 2nd one is having some troubles. When the problem first started, my wife was trying to connect her camera via USB (like she always does)and the computer wasn't recognizing it and was acting "weird" so she restarted it using the normal soft boot option. However, it wouldn't boot back up. The short version of this is after a lot of trouble shooting, it appears that the 2nd HD is faulty. The computer runs fine without it connected. When it is connected though, the BIOS recognizes it and the SMART function says it is okay, but once I get Vista to start (over 1 1/2 hours), the HD does not show up at all in My Computer, even if I go to a DOS prompt and try to move to the drive letter it normally has, "E:\". I tried the UBCD, but cannot get TESTDISK to see it either. I also used GNU/LINUX Boot CD, still does not see the drive. Like others in my shoes, the data is basically all our taxes and financial data, so at least copying it off of the drive is a must. Any suggestions? As far as I know, the drive is not partitioned and was the slave in my setup.

More about : master file table repair vista

a b α HP
a b G Storage
February 21, 2011 11:56:19 AM

I think your drive is dead. you may want to buy a HDD enclosure and try a data recovery but i dont think you will have much luck. You can send the drive out to a data recovery firm if you must have that info but that will be very expensive.
m
l
Related resources
!