Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cases
  • Cooling
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
May 20, 2011 8:29:57 PM

I'm trying to build an i5-2500k based machine in a short case to sit on the shelf under my desk. The shelf is 12" deep and there is about 12.5" vertical clearance. The case will go sideways, so any length is fine.

I would like the machine to be mildly to moderately OC'd. Hopefully up to about 3.9Ghz for a while on the stock cooler, and then in a year or 2 maybe up to 4.2 - 4.4GHz with an aftermarket air cooler.

The machine will start with a mATX Z68 board using integrated graphics, but I will likely add a modest GPU at some point. Full build plans are available here.

It seems the lanbox style of case is most appropriate for me based on size, but I'm concerned about it being sufficiently cooled when OC'd.

I'm primarily looking at a Thermaltake Lanbox Lite variant and an Aerocool M40.

My questions:

Would a cooler such as the Cooler Master GeminII S be suitable in either of these cases for achieving my OCing goals?

Are the the goals realistic for the stock CPU fan and aftermarket fan?

Is there any preference for either of these cases (or a suitable other case) for either OC purposes or other?

Would I need to replace or add to the case fans?

Would any case modding be necessary?

Many thanks,

Dan

More about : sff lanbox style case selection cooling

May 26, 2011 2:18:23 PM

Dan-- said:
Would a cooler such as the Cooler Master GeminII S be suitable in either of these cases for achieving my OCing goals?

Are the the goals realistic for the stock CPU fan and aftermarket fan?
I was able to find out more about the Lanbox, and that it certainly can be suitable for OC'ing. Someone who posted a review over on Amazon used a Zalman CPU cooler and an extra exhaust fan that kept things pretty cool.

He mentioned that it touched one of the RAM sticks though, which I find a little unnerving. (Is that actually ok?) Does anyone know how the GeminII S works with the i5-2500K in the Lanbox?

Thanks,

Dan
m
l