Sign in with
Your question

Many problems - Need advice on getting a simple heat sink working

Last response: in Overclocking
May 20, 2011 8:36:11 PM

I would appreciate any help with just getting a simple heat sink working. I don't overclock but I found the Heatsink sub-cateogry here. In any case, I have an i5-750 that was beginning to idle at 48C. I built the system a while ago and had no real problems until now. I used the original fan/heatsink combo which used to idle at around 30C.

OK, so I purchased a real cheap simple fan/heatsink. After fiddling around with it trying to get it to work I finally (I think) get the concepts worked out. I was trying to screw the fan into the motherboard holes using the bracket as a guide. This is how the OEM fan works but this non-OEM one worked differently. Here, the bracket needs to be affixed solidly to the mobo and *then* the fan would screw into the bracket. Basically, bracket to mobo, fan to bracket. After figuring this out, I looked to how to secure the bracket to the mobo. This cheap combo has small tape strips to fasten to the CPU area. It wouldn't hold and the fan kept sliding around so I gave up, especially when it had only 3 fan pins instead of 4. Superglue might be the answer.

$10 wasted but some lessons learned (I think).

Now, the second combo was more expensive but it looked promissing (Thermaltake). Again, after fiddling around it seemed the bracket on this one fastened using the 3 small torx screws for the original contraption from Intel that you're supped to somehow clamp the CPU in place with. OK, so I removed that Intel contraption and affixed the bracket solidly to the mobo. So now I would just need to screw the outer 4 screws of the fan down until the CPU has solid contact with the fan and the termal paste. Problem is that the "window" for the CPU to make contact with the fan is too small and narrow to make contact.

At this point I am at a loss with paste getting everywhere including the contact side of the CPU. I may have to get a new CPU but maybe someone could explain why these fan/heatsink combos don't make sense and what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you.

I'm using a Thermaltake for a LGA1156 Lynnfield i5. Model CLP0556.
a b K Overclocking
May 21, 2011 1:10:26 AM

xxx052111 said:
Problem is that the "window" for the CPU to make contact with the fan is too small and narrow to make contact.

At this point I am at a loss with paste getting everywhere including the contact side of the CPU. I may have to get a new CPU but maybe someone could explain why these fan/heatsink combos don't make sense and what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but the CPU should not be touching a fan.

Installing an aftermarket cooler is not too much trouble. Basically, you remove the old heatsink, then flip the mobo over and remove the bracket that the old heatsink affixed to. Next, you install the bracket need for the new heatsink, then turn the mobo back over again.

Clean off your CPU with at least 90% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol and let it dry. Reapply a pea-sized diameter amount of thermal paste on the center of the CPU. Spread out the paste evenly. Now clean the the bottom of the heatsink with the alcohol.

Now, place the heatsink over the CPU, and then the heatsink fan over the heatsink. Securely fasten the assembly to the bracket. Don't forget to connect the fan power cable to the mobo.

m
l
June 1, 2011 7:39:37 AM

i don't know much about intel, but maybe you should list the type of motherboard and the type of heatsinks you are using.

i don't mean to insult you, but are you sure you are using an intel heatsink and not an AMD heatsink? because you mention the window on the cpu... i am assuming you mean the metal bracket that holds the cpu in place on an intel board - tis why i am asking if you are using an intel heatsink.

like i said, list the name and product number if not a direct link to the product like newegg or something.

cool?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2011 11:21:05 AM

xxx052111 said:
I would appreciate any help with just getting a simple heat sink working. I don't overclock but I found the Heatsink sub-cateogry here. In any case, I have an i5-750 that was beginning to idle at 48C. I built the system a while ago and had no real problems until now. I used the original fan/heatsink combo which used to idle at around 30C.

OK, so I purchased a real cheap simple fan/heatsink. After fiddling around with it trying to get it to work I finally (I think) get the concepts worked out. I was trying to screw the fan into the motherboard holes using the bracket as a guide. This is how the OEM fan works but this non-OEM one worked differently. Here, the bracket needs to be affixed solidly to the mobo and *then* the fan would screw into the bracket. Basically, bracket to mobo, fan to bracket. After figuring this out, I looked to how to secure the bracket to the mobo. This cheap combo has small tape strips to fasten to the CPU area. It wouldn't hold and the fan kept sliding around so I gave up, especially when it had only 3 fan pins instead of 4. Superglue might be the answer.

$10 wasted but some lessons learned (I think).

Now, the second combo was more expensive but it looked promissing (Thermaltake). Again, after fiddling around it seemed the bracket on this one fastened using the 3 small torx screws for the original contraption from Intel that you're supped to somehow clamp the CPU in place with. OK, so I removed that Intel contraption and affixed the bracket solidly to the mobo. So now I would just need to screw the outer 4 screws of the fan down until the CPU has solid contact with the fan and the termal paste. Problem is that the "window" for the CPU to make contact with the fan is too small and narrow to make contact. At this point I am at a loss with paste getting everywhere including the contact side of the CPU. I may have to get a new CPU but maybe someone could explain why these fan/heatsink combos don't make sense and what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you.

The " backplate " needs to go on the "backside" of the motherboard, that way the little "window" won't bother you at all.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1417&ID=19...
m
l
!