Watching one channel while Tivo records another.

How do I go about setting my system up so I can watch one channel while
recording another. I presently have Tivo hooked up to my DirectTv
receiver. It's a standalone version. Also I just finally got Tivo set up
and everything and said it couldn't record anything for 4-8 hours. But
last nite it recorded something that was not programmed in. What's the
deal? TIA
6 answers Last reply
More about watching channel tivo records another

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:47:35 -0500, Yucko the Clown wrote:

    > How do I go about setting my system up so I can watch one channel while
    > recording another.

    It's in your manual, or on Tivo.com

    > I presently have Tivo hooked up to my DirectTV receiver. It's a
    > standalone version.

    That's a bad idea, see if you can get a DirecTV DVR with TiVo service
    instead. They feature 2 tuners, and a less expensive monthly service fee.
    The only reason to use a Standalone with DirecTV is if you plan on leaving
    DirecTV for cable soon (or if you really want to use the TiVo's video
    inputs for some other reason... DirecTiVos don't have video inputs). Even
    then, I'd consider getting a DirectTiVo for now, and getting a standalone
    later.

    > Also I just finally got Tivo set up and everything and said it couldn't
    > record anything for 4-8 hours.

    That's an estimate of the time it takes to index your Guide Data. That
    would've been explained in the manual as well.

    > But last nite it recorded something that was not programmed in. What's
    > the deal?

    Those are TiVo Suggestions. They are explained in the manual as well, and
    also in this newsgroup about 26 hours ago. You are reading before asking,
    right?

    See http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    --
    Lenroc

    In article <MNednaMGTqEo9pTfRVn-tA@giganews.com>, buddylee32@hotmail.com
    says...
    > How do I go about setting my system up so I can watch one channel while
    > recording another. I presently have Tivo hooked up to my DirectTv
    > receiver. It's a standalone version. Also I just finally got Tivo set up
    > and everything and said it couldn't record anything for 4-8 hours. But
    > last nite it recorded something that was not programmed in. What's the
    > deal? TIA

    Spend 50 bucks and get a Directivo.

    Hook up your TV to an antenna and watch one show while recording
    another.

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:36:32 -0700, Lenroc
    <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:47:35 -0500, Yucko the Clown wrote:
    >
    >> How do I go about setting my system up so I can watch one channel while
    >> recording another.
    >
    >It's in your manual, or on Tivo.com

    Too bad the TIVO software is so inelegant that users
    have to use a manual.

    Sean

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:17:09 -0500, Sean wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:36:32 -0700, Lenroc
    > <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:47:35 -0500, Yucko the Clown wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I go about setting my system up so I can watch one channel while
    >>> recording another.
    >>
    >>It's in your manual, or on Tivo.com
    >

    > Too bad the TIVO software is so inelegant that users
    > have to use a manual.

    That's not a software issue. It's a hardware/wiring issue.

    --
    Lenroc

    "Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U9OOd.44317$B95.11914@lakeread02...
    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:17:09 -0500, Sean wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:36:32 -0700, Lenroc
    > > <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote:

    > >>It's in your manual, or on Tivo.com
    > >

    > > Too bad the TIVO software is so inelegant that users
    > > have to use a manual.
    >
    > That's not a software issue. It's a hardware/wiring issue.

    Obviously, users *don't* read the printed guides. This is the reason
    so many trivial questions are posted in the newsgroups and forums.

    If TiVo users had to read a User's Guide, my wife couldn't operate her DVR.

Tivo Video Home Theatre