Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I bought a i7 920 from Micro Center Does anyone know which stepping

Last response: in CPUs
September 14, 2009 6:24:51 AM

Okay heres the deal, I had my aunt by my CPU for me from Micro Center because I don't have a Micro center location near where I live and she happned to live near one. Seeing as they where doing the WALK-IN special and they where selling the Intel core i7 920 for 199.99 USD I figured I'd go ahead and have her buy it for me. But here's the question I have do any of you have any idea of if the CPU she picked up for me is a CO or DO stepping?

I'm just basically wondering if anyone knows which stepping that Micro Center tends to carry.
Or if anyone here has happened to buy their i7 920 from Micro center while they where doing that special because I just want to know what the odds are that I got the newer DO stepping.
September 14, 2009 6:46:08 AM

vinshon said:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh100/korben44/Core%20i7%20920%20D0/IMG_0328.jpg
See the "SLBEJ" ? that means its D0

if u see "SLBCH" then its C0

Scroll to the bottom of this intel webpage look up "spec code"
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37147

I don't have the CPU in front of me at the moment because I wont get it until I travel to Michigan next weekend to visit my family up there. So basically I'll have to wait until then but thank you very much for the info bro. Either way though even if I got the CO stepping I'll be happy seeing as I only paid 199.99 for the CPU
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2009 7:30:07 AM

Sweet good stuff man, cause I'll be pretty happy if mine turns out to be a D0 too.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 11:52:50 AM

well according to intel there not making the C0's. although it doesn't mean that there No C0 i7 still be sold as we speak.
September 14, 2009 2:41:07 PM

are c0 really that bad , is it only overclock and what's the difference?
m
l
September 14, 2009 2:59:09 PM

and if it's a early c0 it will clock to what? And are c0 stepping quads ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 3:51:39 PM

kdn said:
and if it's a early c0 it will clock to what? And are c0 stepping quads ?

Are the cO stepping quads? Ummm. For a person asking that ? you really should not even be thinking AT ALL about overclocking at all.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 4:02:24 PM

someguy7 said:
Are the cO stepping quads? Ummm. For a person asking that ? you really should not even be thinking AT ALL about overclocking at all.

LOL - good one :) ...

To the OP - I'd guess most of the C0's have been sold by now so your chances of getting the D0 are pretty good.
m
l
September 14, 2009 4:12:43 PM

Kinda here to learn... explanations instead of being an *** would be cool :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 4:26:53 PM

I am not being a a**. What I'm saying is if you have to ask if a c0 stepping of a core i7 920 is a quad core cpu then you really should not even be thinking about overclocking at all. As you said you're here to learn. What i am telling you is learn the very basics before you get into overclocking.
m
l
September 14, 2009 4:44:36 PM

indeed, the term stepping is being unclear to me :)  hehe. And you are right, If I overclock I will most likely follow a tutorial and overclock it step by step, i'd start with around 3.2ghz on a thermalright extreme 120
m
l
September 14, 2009 9:43:13 PM

kdn said:
indeed, the term stepping is being unclear to me :)  hehe. And you are right, If I overclock I will most likely follow a tutorial and overclock it step by step, i'd start with around 3.2ghz on a thermalright extreme 120

They only real difference is that the D0 stepping are the newer ones and from what I have read they tend to overclock much better than the C0 stepping.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 9:50:18 PM

Quote:
Depends on the batch number. If it's a late C0 it'll overclock to 4.2Ghz+. D0 will do on average 4.5Ghz

The most important thing to remember here is, Psycho usually adds 500 mhz to what most people would consider 'average'. ;) 
m
l
September 14, 2009 9:59:09 PM

jennyh said:
The most important thing to remember here is, Psycho usually adds 500 mhz to what most people would consider 'average'. ;) 

Lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 10:23:38 PM

jennyh said:

?? I've seen 4.2GHz as the usual oc for the recent i920s.

Besides, look who's talking :D .

Psycho's exaggeration:
|.........|

Jennyh's exaggeration:
|.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................|
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 10:38:45 PM

Fazers's sycophantism toward intel:

|...............................................................................................................................................................{error i7 technology is not sufficiently advanced}
m
l
September 15, 2009 6:49:16 AM

Hi, I dont think the difference is that much between the C0 and D0, the D0 is reported to require lower voltages thus making it easier to overclock, but I have a C0/C1 and mine is running as smooth as a baby's botttom at 4GHz on air as we speak. The difference is too small and marginal I think to be worried about which stepping you have. The only difference might be in how far you can actualy push the CPU in overclocking, and again I doubt the difference will be more than 100MHz. So just enjoy the product you have bought because whatever the stepping, its a beast of a CPU.

Cheers :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2009 12:55:55 PM

:o  well there's a shocker.... I wasn't expecting to get the best answer.
m
l
September 15, 2009 2:00:25 PM

graz ... how do you know if a question can have a Best answer ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2009 3:08:30 PM

i dont know...
m
l
September 16, 2009 12:07:19 AM

warmon6 said:
:o  well there's a shocker.... I wasn't expecting to get the best answer.

Lol you earned it in my opinion. You gave me a very straight forward no bullcrap answer and that's what I was looking for. Although I would like everyone else to know that I appreciate all their answers too.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2009 2:44:05 AM

ah i see. Well i do try to help in any way i can and i always try to make it as simple as possible.

Ok not try but more or less have to so that most of my family can under stand me when i have to help them with the computer. :lol: 

Anyways glad to help.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2009 2:46:53 AM

I picked up an I7 920 today from Microcenter and it was the D0. I am currently testing it at 4.0G and seeing how low I can have the voltage at and keep it stable. Running 1.30 right now and it seems rock stable. Max temps I have seen is 74C so far in Prime 95.
m
l
!