A very annoying question

yellosnowman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I'm sure everyone's heard this one
I am building a new comp and I was going to buy the Phenom II X3 720 BE and do a minor overclock to 3.2 because I have to keep stock cooler :sweat:
but the phenom II X2 550 BE is MUCH cheaper in NZ, the difference is big enough for me to get an aftermarket cooler.
I would like to have a future proof comp even though I recently bought 2 ASUS HD4890 w/ non reference coolers because I <3ed it to much :kaola:
also WOULD MY CPU BOTTLENECK MY CARDS?

Solution
There is no such thing as future proof in technology because technology is always moving forward (unless there is a nuclear holocaust in which case most i7's and i9's would be traded for food and water) the best you can do is get what works best for your needs for however long they will be able to fulfill that role. That being said, 3.2 ghz is not too major of an over clock for the 720 BE to achieve on stock cooler but then again that depends, from what i have seen so far among consumer reports the 550 BE seems to be a serious overclocker although i think they both overclock very well. It really depends on how far you wish to push the chip, as long as you have them running above 3.0 ghz they wont be major bottlenecks for your graphics...
G

Go with the 720 x3 with out a doubt and then overclock it slightly for now on the stock cooler (checking the temps mind you ). Then save up a little more money and get an aftermarket cooler later on,

You will get more speed this way than x2 550be and after market cooler in the long run and thats what will count.

seabreeze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
You are asking about the X3 720 running at 3.2GHz?

Your sig already indicates this is what you have???
Phenom II X3 720 BE @ 3.2GHZ -------------------------- Corsair 750TX
DFI 790FXB M2RSH ---------------------------------------- Samsung P2050 20" LCD
Gskill PI Black DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12 1.8~1.9v) ---------- CM 690 (Modded)
2x ASUS EAH4890 CROSSFIRE

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
There is no such thing as future proof in technology because technology is always moving forward (unless there is a nuclear holocaust in which case most i7's and i9's would be traded for food and water) the best you can do is get what works best for your needs for however long they will be able to fulfill that role. That being said, 3.2 ghz is not too major of an over clock for the 720 BE to achieve on stock cooler but then again that depends, from what i have seen so far among consumer reports the 550 BE seems to be a serious overclocker although i think they both overclock very well. It really depends on how far you wish to push the chip, as long as you have them running above 3.0 ghz they wont be major bottlenecks for your graphics cards, i have seen many people over clcok the 550BE and 720 BE to 3.4-3.5 ghz with after market coolers and minimal voltage increase and sometimes even on stock V. Not too many games truly take advantage of multiple cores but is changing however all games always benefit from high core frequency and good gpu power so you would be fine either way....in some benchmarks i have seen the 720 BE go toe to toe with fast quad cores as far as gaming is concerned, if i were you i would go with the 720 if you don't mind gunning for a 3.1 overclock with the stock cooler which should be possible without voltage increase or too much heat generated otherwise go for the 550 BE and an after market cooler and as my dead grandfather would have never said :eek:verclock that biaaatch.

Solution

I agree.

Not all games can take advantage of a quad core, so going with an X3 is a good choice. However, I'd shy away from a dual if you're looking to the future. The 3.2 ghz overclock you're going for is rather modest, especially for a BE with unlocked multi, so I don't think you'll have any issues hitting it.

I need to restore my computer M50Sseries, but i lost my recovery cd, anyone to help?
Thks

Get the appropriate OS CD and do a clean install from there, that way don't get all the factory BS. You can probably download one off of Bit Torrent, it doesn't need a CD key (which is illegal to steal) but you can use the CD key that is on the sticker that should be on your computer.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008

Note to self: Just grow my own food in large amounts, buy solar panels to pump my water from my 6" well and then find Seabreeze :lol: