Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

So I just built a system...now what?

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 12, 2009 5:36:26 AM

Just put together this system:

Antec 300
Antec 550w PSU
Panny DVD Burner
Hitachi 500GB SATA Drive (With Windows 7)
WD1200GB IDE Drive (With JUST XP on it)
WD 500GB SATA Drive (Storage)
AMD Phenom II 720 Black Edition
Asus M4A78T-E
G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1333
Video Card (primary): Radeon HD 4850
Video Card (secondary): Radeon HD 4550

Currently all I did was change the memory timing on my motherboard to 8-8-8-21. Speedfan has my Temps at CPU: 37c, Mobo: 36c, Core:27c 8850: 40c at idle and CPU: 43c, Mobo: 40c, Core:36c 8850: 66c max while playing Crysis . Are these temps good? Im using stock HS Fan with OCZ freeze.

I want to OC the CPU a little bit while keeping everything stable and the temps low. Can anyone advise on how to do this? I also want to run some benchmarks to make sure Im up to snuff and everything is all good. Can anyone reccommend some benchmarks for this?

Also, I left my old PC on 24/7. This time around Im wondering what the best way to do this is. Right now I leave it on 24/7 but have it go on standby after 30 minutes which seems to turn off all the case fans etc. What is the best method for this?

Thanks all!

More about : built system

June 15, 2009 4:07:17 PM

Anyone?
June 15, 2009 4:15:15 PM

Standby is fine. If you want to OC, I'd read the sticky in the OC forum just so you're familiar with what you're doing.

For the BE pii CPU's it's really easy to OC. Go into the BIOS, bump the multiplier, boot and run prime95 stress test for ~15-30 mins. If stable, bump the multiplier again and do another stress test. If p95 won't run, go back into the BIOS and bump the voltage and rerun stress test. Monitor your temps constantly. Max temp for the 720 is 73 degrees, but common practice says keep it below 50-55 at full load.

Repeat until you get uncomfortable, you're voltage hits 1.5 total, or you're temps get too high.

I don't see an after market cooler on your list, you'll need one to OC. I recommend the Scythe Mugen 2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, are you running those 2 cards in xfire?
Related resources
June 15, 2009 4:29:01 PM

drunknmunkys said:
Standby is fine. If you want to OC, I'd read the sticky in the OC forum just so you're familiar with what you're doing.

For the BE pii CPU's it's really easy to OC. Go into the BIOS, bump the multiplier, boot and run prime95 stress test for ~15-30 mins. If stable, bump the multiplier again and do another stress test. If p95 won't run, go back into the BIOS and bump the voltage and rerun stress test. Monitor your temps constantly. Max temp for the 720 is 73 degrees, but common practice says keep it below 50-55 at full load.

Repeat until you get uncomfortable, you're voltage hits 1.5 total, or you're temps get too high.

I don't see an after market cooler on your list, you'll need one to OC. I recommend the Scythe Mugen 2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, are you running those 2 cards in xfire?


Im not running them in xfire.

Ive read about people overclocking the 720 a bit with the stock cooler. Although Im not sure.
June 15, 2009 4:33:51 PM

You can, just watch your temps very carefully. You definitely won't get it as high as you would with an aftermarket one though.
June 15, 2009 4:37:24 PM

Also Im a bit unsure about which temps are which here. Below 50-55 is that a core temp or CPU temp?

Every program has it all over the place .

June 15, 2009 4:38:06 PM

drunknmunkys said:
You can, just watch your temps very carefully. You definitely won't get it as high as you would with an aftermarket one though.

Yea thats ok. Im not looking to go crazy, just get a tad more out of it.
June 15, 2009 6:56:02 PM

38 degrees is your CPU temp, which is a little high but in the right range for an idling 720. Try and keep it under 50-55.
June 16, 2009 5:14:06 AM

drunknmunkys said:
38 degrees is your CPU temp, which is a little high but in the right range for an idling 720. Try and keep it under 50-55.

Right but the cores are 27-30 idling so which am I supposed to go by? The CPU has never gotten above 45 while playing Crysis on max everything.

Whats annoying is that in Windows7 doesnt really work with speedfan but in XP I get all the readings.
!