[CPU] Severe Overheating Issue during Gaming

fearlessbro

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
My PC has been overheating really badly while playing 3D games like Left 4 Dead, World of Warcraft, Counter Strike etc.
I can play for prob 10 - 20mins and the Computer will power off and the Power button (blue) will flash and not do anything, I'm forced to unplug the Power and turn off the PSU, plug it back in, and turn on the power for it to come back on and boot normally. It only turns off during Games, never while on the net, or doing other things. I monitored speedfan and after 10mins into Left 4 dead, my GPU was about 61C, and temp1 was 104C, Core was 65C, HD0 was 61C.

My System specs are:

Motherboard: MSI K9AGM2 MS-7327 Mainboard
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+
Memory: 2GB Kingston 800mhz DDR2
Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce 9600GT 1GB
Power Supply: 550 Watt Supersilent PSU Widetech
Fans: Stock fan and Heatsink, both spin at around 3000RPM

I used Rivatuner to set the GPU fan speed to 100%, and made sure all fans are spinning and that there is air flow, and the computers fine when idle, only while playing games does it Overheat.

Also I opened up my computer, and applyed some Deep Cool Thermal Compound on my CPU chip and my GPU chip. When i booted back up and ran a game, the temp went up again (the compound did little to change it).

What should I do? The PSU, Ram and Video card are less then 2 Months old, the rest of the computer barely a year old.

I started getting this overheat issue 3 days ago when I did a clean install and reinstalled all the drivers, I checked their all updated and no errors, I doubt its a driver issue.

Follow sirkillalot direction first. If his things fail then i would recommenced reducing voltage to reduce heat.

Just go into bios, find your voltage, and before you adjust the volts write down the default voltage incase of any problems. Now start reducing in small increments.

Don't do big drops.

Once you made that small change, save the setting and see if windows boots. If so then you can reduce the voltage further.

When you find that windows will not boot then increase the voltage until windows boots again.

Once your back in windows run prime95 overnight to make sure that you system is stable at thoughs volts. also moniter the temps to see how much heat is reduce.