HELP WITH MY BOARD!

torrentninja

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I am not a huge computer Wiz by any means, so please take it easy on me! (LOL) I have an issue with the RAM not working at 1066 with my system. MSI keeps on giving me the run around, not intentionally, I think it's just because they expect me to be an IT.

I have DDR2 8500 OCZ Reaper Ram 1066 2*2 gig sticks.

They post at 800mhz, but will not post at 1066. I try to manually change it in the bios to 1066, and also I've tried putting that EPP thingy on, but each thing I try will not let my computer boot properly and it just cycles between on and off, I have to pop the bios battery thingy majiger and wait 10 mins, and then restart the system.

MSI says it should work, and they are giving me info I have no clue about.

Help anyone?

--------------------------------------------------------
AMD AM3 Phenom 2 Quad 3.4 black Edition
Ocz 8500 ddr2 Reaper Ram 2*2gig
MSI DAK790GX Platinum Board
Saphire Radeon 3870 512gig Graphics Card
850 Watts Olympia Power Supply
250gig SATA Hard Drive
---------------------------------------------------------

torrentninja

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I had a friend show me how to set the RAM timing and managed to do that in the BIOS. Looking at the AMD OVERDRIVE utility it says the ram is actually only running at 400mhz instead of the 1066. With the Timing's set the RAM is definitely sped up allot, but I still want to get the most out of my RAM. Any idea how I can get it to 1066? What is the Best RAM for my board?

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
The primary issue I believe will be voltage, there should be (usually) two settings related to the "EPP thingy". They would be EPP clock thingy and EPP voltage thingy. If you don't see this then set the voltage to whats required for your chips manually as well as the clock rate to 533.

torrentninja

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Thanks mate! I will strike your name off the List of idiots! lol. Seriously thanks for the response.

Your board is reading the actual clock rate - 400MHz. The effective clock rate for DDR memory at 400MHz is 400*2, or 800MHz, which is what you were reading before.
Do you have the memory timings and voltages set to manufacturer specifications? If so, they should post at 1066. What did you set the timings to? What did you set the voltages to?

Especially considering you, yourself had no idea what is going on, this is pretty uncalled for. It probably deterred lots of people from posting in this; the only reason I did was to remark upon the fact that you're calling the people who [would potentially] help you idiots. If that's the case, why are you asking?