dik

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Hi,I Wonder if anyone can help?

I Have a home built system put together by a friend.

ACER T180 EM61SM/EM61PM MOBO,ATHLON 64X2 3800+ CPU,40GBHDD,DVDRW,2GB RAM PC2 5300 OCZ AND SAMSUNG MIX,GEFORCE 6600GT GPU, 380 WATT PSU,XP PRO SP3 OS.

Generally the pc works fine,however I`ve had this really annoying problem for a while now.Every time I turn off it reverts the date to Jan 2006, and I have to reset bios.

Thinking it was a battery problem I changed it but the problem persists.Could it be that the bios is corrupt?
If so could anyone suggest the correct bios to install. CURRENT VERSION R01-B1 12/29/2006

Also Ive never changed bios before so naturally Im a bit wary. Do you have to install bios updates sequentially or just the latest plus whats the benefit of doing it from a floppy and not through windows?

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated , thanks

DIK

You only need to flash the latest BIOS version, but it won't solve your problem. If the system loses it's settings as soon as you power off, the problem is the new battery that's defective, not making good contact or a defective motherboard (not very likely). It could also be the PSU, but that's relatively easy to determine.

dik

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Thanks GhislainG,I`ll try changing to another battery that I know is good and check connections. You mentioned a possible PSU problem,how so if its powering the system?

dik

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I did but Ive got a bit confused as to which battery is the newer DOH! but both work in another pc!

TRENDING THREADS