Sign in with
Your question

Configuring RAID 0 on Marvell 9128 (Board: Gigabyte GA X58 A UD3R rev 2.0)

Last response: in Storage
February 21, 2011 8:50:13 PM

Hi,
I have bought two WD Caviar Black, 1 TB SATA(WD1002FAEX),SATA 6 Gb/s Hard Drives & two AKASA SATA 6Gb/s SATA rev 3.0 data cables .
I want to connect these two drives in RAID 0 to the GSATA3_6/7 connectors, controlled by the Marvell 9128 chipset on my motherboard(details mentioned below) & load my windows 7 64-bit operating system & other applications onto these drives.
My operating system & other data are currently installed on an existing WD caviar green 1 TB drive.
I request detailed instructions regarding the steps involved in configuring a raid array on the below mentioned motherboard as I want my WD Caviar Blacks to run at 6 Gb/s.
I have gone through my motherboard user's manual in detail, but it gives instructions compatible with Windows XP and Vista. Installing the drivers I feel is quite confusing. Is there a solution to this issue?
But, I have a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system & I do not have a Floppy Disc Drive(which is a prerequisite according to the manual).

Existing Config:
Motherboard :Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R(rev. 2.0)

BIOS Ver : FA

VGA : MSI, R5770HAWK

CPU : Intel Core i7 930, 2.8 GHz

Operation System : Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Memory : Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX
Memory Size : 4.00 GB Speed : 1600 MHz

Power Supply : Corsair 650 W
Existing Hard Drive :WD Caviar Green WD10EARS SATA 3 Gb/s 1 TB
a b G Storage
March 11, 2011 8:08:43 PM

I'd love to be able to talk you out of doing RAID 0.

Look at how many problems there are on this forum with RAID 0 - and when you lose any drive, you lose everything.

Best,
Roger.
March 22, 2011 6:07:16 AM

NetworkStorageTips said:
I'd love to be able to talk you out of doing RAID 0.

Look at how many problems there are on this forum with RAID 0 - and when you lose any drive, you lose everything.

Best,
Roger.

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply. I tried out the RAID 0 array. But instead of getting a boost in speed, sadly my machine started to hang (among other problems). So I'm back to square one with a much faster system.

Regards,

Neilbdsouza
!