Configuring RAID 0 on Marvell 9128 (Board: Gigabyte GA X58 A UD3R rev 2.0)

Hi,
I have bought two WD Caviar Black, 1 TB SATA(WD1002FAEX),SATA 6 Gb/s Hard Drives & two AKASA SATA 6Gb/s SATA rev 3.0 data cables .
I want to connect these two drives in RAID 0 to the GSATA3_6/7 connectors, controlled by the Marvell 9128 chipset on my motherboard(details mentioned below) & load my windows 7 64-bit operating system & other applications onto these drives.
My operating system & other data are currently installed on an existing WD caviar green 1 TB drive.
I request detailed instructions regarding the steps involved in configuring a raid array on the below mentioned motherboard as I want my WD Caviar Blacks to run at 6 Gb/s.
I have gone through my motherboard user's manual in detail, but it gives instructions compatible with Windows XP and Vista. Installing the drivers I feel is quite confusing. Is there a solution to this issue?
But, I have a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system & I do not have a Floppy Disc Drive(which is a prerequisite according to the manual).

Existing Config:
Motherboard :Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R(rev. 2.0)

BIOS Ver : FA

VGA : MSI, R5770HAWK

CPU : Intel Core i7 930, 2.8 GHz

Operation System : Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Memory : Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX
Memory Size : 4.00 GB Speed : 1600 MHz

Power Supply : Corsair 650 W
Existing Hard Drive :WD Caviar Green WD10EARS SATA 3 Gb/s 1 TB
2 answers Last reply
More about configuring raid marvell 9128 board gigabyte ud3r
  1. I'd love to be able to talk you out of doing RAID 0.

Look at how many problems there are on this forum with RAID 0 - and when you lose any drive, you lose everything.

Best,
    Roger.
  2. NetworkStorageTips said:
    I'd love to be able to talk you out of doing RAID 0.

Look at how many problems there are on this forum with RAID 0 - and when you lose any drive, you lose everything.

Best,
    Roger.

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply. I tried out the RAID 0 array. But instead of getting a boost in speed, sadly my machine started to hang (among other problems). So I'm back to square one with a much faster system.

Regards,

Neilbdsouza
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID SATA Western Digital Storage