Antec TP-550 compatibility issue

ubertone

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I have an Antec TP-550 connected to a Biostar TPower i45 and I am seeing a weird Post scenario.

When I first power up, posts fine and computer will run forever - no problems, no hiccups. If I restart, no problems at all. Restarts all day long. If i power down and try to power up again, mobo will not post - no error codes, nothing - lights are on but absolutely no post.

To get it to post again, I have to remove power from the PS and let it set for at least 15 minutes are so, and then it will post first time again with no problem. Even a minute or two later, if I power down the system and power up again, it will not post. I can remove power and plug back in a minute or two later and no post - I have to wait like before.

At first I thought memory, but there seems to be a time related issue with the PS itself. Anyone have any thoughts?

Solution
That's a not uncommon problem. You have a flaky PSU. If it's new, RMA it.

Flaky is good in a pie crust, not so good elsewhere. :)

ubertone

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Flaky is indeed bad. I removed the TP-550 and put in an Antec Earthwatts 650 as a temporary test....

All works fine now. The question I wonder now is was 550 too small or was it a bad PS? Here is what is in there:

- Biostar TPower i45
- 1 sata dvd
- 1 sata 320G
- 1 ATI 4850
- 2 - 2G DDR2 1066
- Antec 300 case
- running stock, no overclocking.
- Antec Earthwatts 650 (will move to a Corsair 750 via RMA)

Bad PS or underpowered?

Thanks,
ubertone

I don't think your system was underpowered. The general rule of thumb is a high qaulity 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily handle a system with any single video card made. In addition you do not have a power hungry system.

No. I do not think so. Inadequate power would have given you a different set of symptoms. This looks to be a control problem tied to the voltage monitoring circuits inside the PSU.

I am powering an OC'd Q6600, 4 GB RAM, an old 640 MB 8800GTS, and 3 drives with an old Antec 550 TP3. Everything runs reliably and cool.

TRENDING THREADS