What's Gonna Happen @ Boot? (New MB, CPU on Old HDD)

My P4 system died. Got a new MB, CPU, PSU, RAM coming today. I'm re-using the old hard drive, case, DVD, GPU, etc.

What's gonna happen when I hook up the new MB/CPU/PSU/RAM to my existing WinXP OS hard drive? Yeah - it ain't gonna work... Problem is, I got loads of stuff on the drive and I really, really, really don't wanna hook it up to another PC and try to pull the data... I've been a bad boy and have no backup. Dumb? Yeah... :pt1cable:

So, should I boot to the WinXP install disk and then do a "Repair"? I think I read that's a work-around.

Any better ideas?

FWIW, the old system is an Intel 915G chipset board w/ a Prescott P4. New system is an Intel P45 chipset board (ASUS P5Q-E) w/ an Core 2 Quad (Q9450 Yorkfield).
3 answers Last reply
More about what gonna happen boot
  1. You might be lucky CG and find that your hard drive is read by your new system, ive had that happen a few times before, but to get your data back if that doesnt happen you may need another hard drive.

With a new hard drive do a fresh install (pick up a cheap 80 GB off Ebay) and when you have your system set up just connect your old hard drive via SATA cable or as a slave if its IDE then restart your computer and your new system will recognize your old hard drive and it will show up in `my computer` as an extra hard drive from where you will be able to access your data and files.
  2. Good advice.
  3. LOL - system booted right into Windows off the old hard drive. Slow as hell and multiple error messages. But it booted and oddly, everything worked - but dead slow.

Ended up putting a new hard drive in. You're right Proximon - it WAS good advice! :lol:
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Hard Drives CPUs Systems