790GPT and older PS ... compatible?

yatg

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
- My old Athlon X2 mobo futzed out one day, so I decided to upgrade. SATA drives (all four) are already high-speed, DVD burner is newer DL, etc, so I figured I'd keep all that stuff and simply get a new mobo, CPU, & RAM, and get this guy back online on the cheap, so to speak. Not as cheap as an X2-only mobo, but there it is.

- I decided on a Phenom X3 BE, which is the same price as a X4, but a review right here on TH showed the performance was nearly identical, and I like having the L3 cache. I do mainly surfing, VMs, and rendering digital video. The *only* game I've ever loaded on my computer is Halo, and that's so old nearly anything will run it. (grin)

- I wound up with a GA-MA790GPT-UD3H mobo because last week newegg had a combo deal on it with the Phenom X3 for $40 off. I was going to get a mobo with 1033 RAM, but this one has 1666, so I sprung for some Patriot Sector 5. I'm not a big overclocker, but these parts are all supposed to be OC-friendly, so I thought after I got it all built I might fiddle around with that a bit. But that's later. I also got some horking monstrous heat-pipe CPU cooler, with the OC idea in mind.

- My PS is an older "Norwood Micro" 500W unit that I replaced the the 350W unit in the X2 with, years ago. The manual for the new mobo says 500W will suffice as long as 5vsb is 1A. This is 2A, and I won't be doing any multi-GPU things, so I'm thinking I don't need more than this supply, at least not intially.

- BUT the 790GPT mobo has an eight-pin ATX aux connector, and the PS has a *six* pin aux connector. This is the one that delivers the extra 12v lines to the mobo. The manual says it's compatible with 4 or 8 pins, but it doesn't mention six. The *old* mobo has a six-pin aux connector, and this six-pin connector *will* plug into the new mobo, occupying pins 2-4 and 6-8. Since the 4-pin flavor of this connector appears to use pins 3-4 & 8-7, it seems like this shouldn't cause any problems to simply add on the extra two.

- I'd really like to be sure before zatching anything, though. (silly grin)

Thanks for your time...

Yet Another Tech Geek

P.S. I've built systems for fifteen years. I just haven't done much of it since this "aux" 12v connector was introduced, so I'm especially leary of doing anything out of the ordinary with it.

yatg

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I'm a DUNCE. There is a four-pin connector ... the six-pin is for the *video card*. Sheesh!! Some daze I should be kept away from the tech toys...

yatg

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
- Tom's server is sending me spam to rate this question, but there is no "gold cup" to click. Bad Form. How do I get the system to quit pestering me about this?