Hsuperman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

I just build a new system the other day and the comp would lock up all the time. Not always at the same time but at different times and after different durations of use. It's also a very strage lockup as well. First, all the running programs would not respond and keyboard inputs stop as well but the mouse still moves around on screen like there was nothing wrong. Then about 30 seconds or so later the mouse would freeze as well. Either way I would have to restart the system manually. I noticed that it rebooted itself once without me having to press the reset button.

Everything is new and I cannot figure out why it's doing this. I have a feeling it's the memory and the settings that are currently in the bios.

I have an Intel DP45SG motherboard with TW3X4G1333C9 memory kit running Win XP x64.

What should my settings be?

Currently they are on auto.

Should I list more specs?

TIA

Here is how you do it:

1. Download CPU-Z .
2. Run it.
3. Navigate to the SPD tab.
4. Write down the appropriate settings. In this case it will probably say 667Mhz at the top of the column you want.
5. Boot into BIOS and make the changes as needed. Note that DRAM voltage may be in a different section of the BIOS than the timings.
6. If you get stuck just ask.

Stiffex

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
What power supply are you using HS ?

From what i have read this is another board with stability issues that have not been resolved satisfactorily but assuming its something else try running your system with 1 stick of RAM and if you are still having problems swap it for the other stick, after you have tried that and no improvement is showing i would suggest not messing about any further and RMA your board and swap it for another brand but not the ASUS P5Q pro.

There is nothing worse than putting a build together only to find out you have a dodgy mobo, but worse still is finding out that you have a dodgy mobo with a reputation for being dodgy and an increased chance of getting another dodgy mobo if you RMA it.

:pt1cable:

Hsuperman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I have an OCZ 600W.

I will try the memory trick.

As far as RMA'ing the board should I contact the resaler or Intel directly?

Stiffex

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
HS Your PSU is fine

Check your current bios number and then check to see if Intel have brought out a revised bios that fixes the stability problems; not much point flashing the bios if it doesnt resolve the stability issues and it may just void your warranty.

If its not running stable with 1 stick of RAM and fail safe bios settings, you could try the optimized settings as well but if no luck send it back to where you bought it as faulty under warranty and get another make of mobo.
Have a good look at the MSI P45 Neo boards or the Gigabyte DS3 P45 boards but be sure to pick one that hasnt generated a lot of negative reviews.
When you look at reviews check the main review sites like CNet, Lab test reviews and most importantly, customer reviews, you can find some of these in the on-line retailers forums like NewEgg. Ebuyer,NovaTech and the like; you can also check places like Overclock.net they usually have a thread on all the mother boards that are in use, and of course some reviews are on here Toms Hardware.

Hsuperman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Wow, that you very much.

This is a wealth of information and I'm so glad I came here for help.

Now to give it a shot.

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Hi, :hello:

Did you resolve your strange lockups, if Yes how did you do it ???

I'm having the same problem with lockups like yours, as well as the onboard sound is aweful sounds like a machine gun going off after some not all sounds, :(
Proximon said: Here is how you do it:

1. Download CPU-Z .
2. Run it.
3. Navigate to the SPD tab.
4. Write down the appropriate settings. In this case it will probably say 667Mhz at the top of the column you want.
5. Boot into BIOS and make the changes as needed. Note that DRAM voltage may be in a different section of the BIOS than the timings.
6. If you get stuck just ask.

The timing in my Bios is 7 7 7 with a Min RAS of 30...Mem clock 666Mhz and it is set on Auto
and does Not match my Memory 7 7 7 20 listed on the Sticks.

SPD.jpg

MEMORY-1.jpg

This is my 3 week old rig with all new drivers & bios:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE
MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX
Mem: OCZ OCZ3P13334GK 4gb kit (2gb x 2) 1333mhz 7-7-7-20 240-pin DDR3
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2
VC: MSI N9800GT-T2D512-OC V2 GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB OEM
DVDROM: Sony Optiarc Black 24X Rewritable Drive - OEM
CASE: Antec 900
MOBO.jpg