Water Cooling CM Storm Scout

gravey davey

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Hi,

Im currently building a new PC. At the moment Ive already got the CM Scout case, 700w power supply, memory, and the 4870.
I just cant figure out how to water cool the system- I want to cool the AMD 955 and two 4870s (Im buying another soon!). The thing is theres only one 120mm rear fan, one front 140mm and one top 140mm(can replace with 120mm), so i cant work out how to set up the water cool the system.
By the way id rather not have external rads if possible.

Any suggestions on what should be in the loop and how to mount the rads?

Thanks in advance,

Gravey Davey

G

Difficult case to watercool, its a strong mid-tower case especially designed for full size kit to be moved around to LAN parties and the like hence the handle on the top, which does not lend itsself to watercooling.

saying that you can always mod it a little by cutting the top and mounting the Rad under the handle with fans underneath (2x140), it would look amazing and sure it would cool it well. There is not much room in the case for the pump and res so thing dual 5 1/2 " bay Pump/Res combo would be needed, possibly strong enough for cpu and 1 top end gpu,
altenatively, door is strong and the side panel could be modded for Rad above gpu as well, there is enough space for that,

if you ever do it, please post pics please of the build!

ShtBrix

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Mid tower cases are pretty hard to internally watercool. I really doubt you'll be able to cool a P2 955 and 2 4870's in CF effectively. You could squeeze in a 240mm Rad in the front and kill some HD/Optical bays. See how much clearance there is in the top. You might be able to get a 240/360mm slim rad in there with some modding. By far the easiest way is to just hang one on the back.

gravey davey

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
cheers for the comments. Im thinking external is the way to go. for the graphics ill have a seperate loop with either a 120 on top or 2*120 on the side panel. Then ill have another loop with an external 2*120 rad mounted on the rear. Or i could have 2 seperate 2*120 rads in one loop.
let me know what you think!
OO - do you think ill be able to mount a slim 2*120 on the top fan without making another blow hole?(it will fit)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You are going to need a 320 rad for the processor alone, another 220 for each graphic card you add. You could probably get by with a 220 for each CPU+GPU if you run them in a single loop.

It is to the point of larger rads and hotter components that watercoolers need to start externally mounting their gear for the best results. I know that this isn't necessarily the intended result at first, but with how much room you really need, its almost required. Modding a case is more and more important if you want to get the intended cooling for the components being used.

gravey davey

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Thanks guys! im definately feel that Im not going to water cool my GPUs as ill need a 220 for each card!
How hot does the 955 run compared to an i7 920 D0? because then i can use the same sort of loop as elmnator(nice loop btw!) using a 220 with push/pull fans. I reckon I can then mount it on the window where I can mount 2 120mm fans.
So ill have 2 external 120 fans and 2 internal 120 fans.
OR, I could just use a cm V10! (scout is designed to fit one + it cools ram as well)

gravey davey

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I didnt mention it but im gonna use it for gaming, so im gonna overclock the system. Thats why ill need some crazy cooling! Plus, its a challenge to water cool a case with not a lot of room to water cool.
My dad reckons water cooling isnt any better than air cooling - so im gonna prove him wrong!

gravey davey

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
just had a thought!
what if i have two seperate 120 rads- one on the rear and one on the top. If I remove the 140mm fan and replace it with a 120 rad i can have like 2 rads in series. That way it stays as a window but still put two 120mm intake fans on the door.
Then it will be the equivelent of having a 240 rad intaking as the airflow can be high.

So, heres my loop:
1.dual bay pump/res
2.cpu block
3.rear 120 rad
4.top 120 rad.
5.res/pump and so on.

Please tell me what you think!

gravey davey

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Sorry for posting so many messages, sure you are finding it hard to keep up!
heres the loop as a picture:
Loop.jpg

theronin420

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

I know this post is a bit dated but this is precisely what I had in mind. I’m currently running a Corsair H50 and not seeing the sort of temps I would be comfortable with (68C under Prime95 load) to start OC’ing my i7 920 D0.

Did you ever try to pull this off?

gravey davey

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

Hi Guys,
Sorry about the extremely late update, but yes I did succeed in watercooling my rig!
I also added a 4890 to the loop, so that i have crossfired the 4870 with the 4890 :D
Although it was hard to squeeze in all the kit, and it was very fiddly getting it all installed im pretty satisfied with the results.
Also it is ridiculously quiet for the amount of gaming power I'm getting from it!

When idling, the cpu average is 30C and the GPU's average at 34C!
On load, using CRYSIS, the CPU averages 49C and the GPU's average 52C.
So overall I'm pretty pleased with the cooling system I have made. And yes i have only used two 120mm rads!

P1010890.jpg

P1010895.jpg

P1010889.jpg

P1010888.jpg

I should be getting a new 140mm fan to match the other two 120mm fans i have on the rads.

Cheers,

Gravey Davey

gravey davey

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Oh forgot to mention I made my own tinted window for the side panel. I made from 3mm acrylic. As its dark, when the pc isn't on it is hard to see through it, but when it's on I can see right through it and admire my rig :D
P1010897.jpg

Tobblish

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I'm also going to throw my air cooling out the window and getting watercooling.
Theres some things you could help me with gravey.

Is there enough room to do push n pull on both the rear and top fan?
I'm going to use some slim fans to so what fans are you using? (Comparison)

gravey davey

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

Hi Tobblish,

I would say that there is definately room on the rear fan to do a push/pull config, but I dont think it's possible on the top because of the carry handle assembly. The two 120mm fans i'm using are Xigmatek XLF-F1254 (http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=78). These are really nice fans with good amounts of airflow, though they are a bit louder than they say they are! I'm going to replace the front fan with a 140mm version of the Xigmatek's to finish it off. Any other questions I can help with?

Gravey Davey

Tobblish

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

No that would be all major questions.
But I guess with some minor modding that push n pull would work on top(?)

I think I'm going with the same setup as you, 2x120 rads or 1x140 1x120.(140,If i can find slim fans for the job)

Can't wait to finally build myself a working loop :)

gravey davey

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
actually, I just worked out that you want the push n pull so that you have both fans and the rad inside the case!
My rads are 30mm deep and the fans are 25mm deep, and with those there is about 15mm space between the edge of the rear fan and the side of the top fan.
So by my calculations (if you use 30mm deep rads) you should be able to get away with using 20mm (maximum) deep slim fans. The max space is 70mm for fitting rads and fans by the way!

Hope this helps,

Gravey davey

Tobblish

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Damn the radiators that I can get my hands on are 47mm thick =/
I guess you are using the Black Ice Stealth.

With your math that each radiator + fan can be max 70mm thick.
So with the 15mm fans I'll be using it may just barely fit with one using push n pull. (Grinder inc)

Best thing would be if I could talk some sense into the web shop I'll be buying from :p
Dual Black Ice Stealth would be awesome ^^

gravey davey

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
You guessed right !
You could use two different rads. The only space problem is on the rear rad, so you could use any 120mm rad on the top with any fans you want on it.
For the back you could use a black ice stealth gt like me and use some thin fans on it.