2 4770's crossfire VS HD 4870

Hi, Im building a new system purly for hard gaming::

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Socket
Biostar TA790GX
OCZ Blade PC8500 1066mhz 4GB(2x2048) DDR2
PC P&C 610W

::and Im not sure what GPU to use, Ill be playing games like GTA 4 and Empire Total War, here are my GPU option

1.Get 2x HD 4770's
2.Get a HD 4870 (maybe crossfire this later when I have the money)

Im also open to new options AND nVidia Geforce options
27 answers Last reply
More about 4770 crossfire 4870
  1. 1x 4890 = 2x 4770's so either get the dual 4770's or get a single 4890 now since 4770's are impossible to get at the moment.

    for GTAIV you'll want a quad core since it is very cpu intensive.
  2. Helloworld_98 said:
    1x 4890 = 2x 4770's so either get the dual 4770's or get a single 4890 now since 4770's are impossible to get at the moment.

    for GTAIV you'll want a quad core since it is very cpu intensive.


    well, hello there again.
    my budget was originally 300 pounds so I dont have enough money for a 4890 now, so I was thinking a 4870 now and get another 4870 later.
    again i cant get a quad cause i dont have enough money, but I will upgrade in future
  3. the Biostar mobo and OCZ memory you listed aren't available anymore, TBH on your budget you should just get a 360.
  4. Helloworld_98 said:
    the Biostar mobo and OCZ memory you listed aren't available anymore, TBH on your budget you should just get a 360.


    What do you mean they arent avaible aymore, you recommended me those parts about two weeks ago? and I said my budget was origianlly 300 but extended to 600 and thers no way Im getting a 360
  5. ^ yeah but they aren't available anymore, for £600 though...

    what size HDD do you want?
  6. Helloworld_98 said:
    ^ yeah but they aren't available anymore, for £600 though...

    what size HDD do you want?


    Do you mean they are avaible but for a higher price than beore or are you saying they there are not being sold anymore?

    I dont know what HDD has to do with this but I was thinking Western Digital 160GB cause
  7. just list all the parts you need and I'll give you a list, because so far I've got a Q9550, P43 mobo, 2x2GB kingston 1066mhz, 1x XFX 4890, 1x Seagate .12 500GB HDD, LG DVD-RW, PCP&C 610w and an antec 300 case.

    and it comes to £601.91 before shipping.
  8. Helloworld_98 said:
    just list all the parts you need and I'll give you a list, because so far I've got a Q9550, P43 mobo, 2x2GB kingston 1066mhz, 1x XFX 4890, 1x Seagate .12 500GB HDD, LG DVD-RW, PCP&C 610w and an antec 300 case.

    and it comes to £601.91 before shipping.


    about 2 or 3 weeks ago this is what you told me:

    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
    Biostar TA790GX
    OCZ Blade PC8500 1066mhz 4GB(2x2048) DDR2
    Ati Raden HD 4770
    PC P&C 610W

    What wrong with this build?
  9. ^ you're playing GTAIV on something less than a Quad core and for your budget you can get a far more powerful PC.
  10. Helloworld_98 said:
    ^ you're playing GTAIV on something less than a Quad core and for your budget you can get a far more powerful PC.


    Well let me rephrase what I said

    AMD Phenom II X3 720
    Biostar TA790GX
    OCZ Blade PC8500 1066mhz 4GB
    Ati Raden HD 4770 or HD 4870
    PC P&C 610W
    Antec 900
    Western Digital 160GB
    LG 22x DVD +/- RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter
    Windows Vista Home Premium

    This does come out to about 600 pounds, right?
  11. probably about £550, but for that budget you should in no way be using an antec 900.

    edit: didn't see the OS, but it would probably be a good idea to use Win7 RC1 anyway to save you the £90.

    edit2: went with the best and close to cheapest option with the 720 BE and AM3 mobo with reaper 1333mhz C6 memory and it comes to £558 before Shipping, OS and using a 4870 1GB.
  12. Helloworld_98 said:
    probably about £550, but for that budget you should in no way be using an antec 900.

    edit: didn't see the OS, but it would probably be a good idea to use Win7 RC1 anyway to save you the £90.

    edit2: went with the best and close to cheapest option with the 720 BE and AM3 mobo with reaper 1333mhz C6 memory and it comes to £558 before Shipping, OS and using a 4870 1GB.



    er.. I want the antec900 cause of the seethrough panel lol.
    So can you list me all the parts you recommend?
  13. Get two 4850s and be happy.
  14. Helloworld_98 said:
    probably about £550, but for that budget you should in no way be using an antec 900.

    edit: didn't see the OS, but it would probably be a good idea to use Win7 RC1 anyway to save you the £90.

    edit2: went with the best and close to cheapest option with the 720 BE and AM3 mobo with reaper 1333mhz C6 memory and it comes to £558 before Shipping, OS and using a 4870 1GB.



    So can you specificly list the parts you recommend please? and er.. I want the antec900 cause of the see through panel lol
  15. Helloworld_98 said:
    probably about £550, but for that budget you should in no way be using an antec 900.

    edit: didn't see the OS, but it would probably be a good idea to use Win7 RC1 anyway to save you the £90.

    edit2: went with the best and close to cheapest option with the 720 BE and AM3 mobo with reaper 1333mhz C6 memory and it comes to £558 before Shipping, OS and using a 4870 1GB.


    So can you specificly list the parts you recommend please? and er.. I want the antec900 cause of the see through panel lol and also a 150HD will do good for me
  16. Go with 2 4850's if you can because they will give you the performance of a GTX 285. The 4770 and 4850 roughly cost the same.
  17. Helloworld_98 said:
    probably about £550, but for that budget you should in no way be using an antec 900.

    edit: didn't see the OS, but it would probably be a good idea to use Win7 RC1 anyway to save you the £90.

    edit2: went with the best and close to cheapest option with the 720 BE and AM3 mobo with reaper 1333mhz C6 memory and it comes to £558 before Shipping, OS and using a 4870 1GB.



    So can you specificly list the parts you recommend please? and er.. I want the antec900 cause of the see through panel lol and also a 150HD will do good for me
  18. Helloworld_98 said:
    probably about £550, but for that budget you should in no way be using an antec 900.

    edit: didn't see the OS, but it would probably be a good idea to use Win7 RC1 anyway to save you the £90.

    edit2: went with the best and close to cheapest option with the 720 BE and AM3 mobo with reaper 1333mhz C6 memory and it comes to £558 before Shipping, OS and using a 4870 1GB.


    So can you specificly list the parts you recommend please? and er.. I want the antec900 cause of the see through panel lol and also a 150HD will do good for me -_-
  19. 1) I think 1 post is enough

    2) Ok,

    AMD 940 BE £160
    ASUS M4A78T-E £99
    ASUS 4850 512MB £80 (use this because it saves you £50 from getting a 4870 1GB and OC'es to 800mhz)
    Antec 900 £80
    PCP&C 610w £68
    OCZ platinum AM3 1333mhz 2x2GB £48
    WDC blue 160GB £36
    LG GH22NS30 22x DVD-RW £19
  20. Helloworld_98 said:
    1) I think 1 post is enough

    2) Ok,

    AMD 940 BE £160
    ASUS M4A78T-E £99
    ASUS 4850 512MB £80 (use this because it saves you £50 from getting a 4870 1GB and OC'es to 800mhz)
    Antec 900 £80
    PCP&C 610w £68
    OCZ platinum AM3 1333mhz 2x2GB £48
    WDC blue 160GB £36
    LG GH22NS30 22x DVD-RW £19


    1) sorry bout the posts and ingore the new thread I made but I was just trying to get your attention

    2) At first I was thinking this..
    AMD Phenom II X3 720
    Biostar TA790GX
    OCZ Blade PC8500 1066mhz 4GB
    Ati Raden HD 1GB 4870 ( get another 1GB 4870 later)
    PC P&C 610W
    Antec 900
    Western Digital 160GB
    LG 22x DVD +/- RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter
    Windows 7 (Saves me money)

    but I guess your new build makes more sense

    but can you just tell me the main differences between those 2 builds

    edit: and also is there maybe a cheeper mobo than ASUS M4A78T-E or will this one give me a significant performance boost in gaming
  21. Helloworld_98 said:
    1) I think 1 post is enough

    2) Ok,

    AMD 940 BE £160
    ASUS M4A78T-E £99
    ASUS 4850 512MB £80 (use this because it saves you £50 from getting a 4870 1GB and OC'es to 800mhz)
    Antec 900 £80
    PCP&C 610w £68
    OCZ platinum AM3 1333mhz 2x2GB £48
    WDC blue 160GB £36
    LG GH22NS30 22x DVD-RW £19



    1) sorry bout the posts and ingore the new thread I made but I was just trying to get your attention

    2) At first I was thinking this..
    AMD Phenom II X3 720
    Biostar TA790GX
    OCZ Blade PC8500 1066mhz 4GB
    Ati Raden HD 512 4870
    PC P&C 610W
    Antec 900
    Western Digital 160GB
    LG 22x DVD +/- RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter
    Windows 7 (Saves me money)

    but I guess your new build makes more sense

    but can you just tell me the main differences between those 2 builds

    edit: and also is there maybe a cheeper mobo than ASUS M4A78T-E or will this one give me a significant performance boost in gaming
  22. ..bumb... answer me pwez
  23. Can I chime in? Helloworld is better at the UK stuff than me, but let me see here...

    He recommended the X4 940 because the games you listed indicate that you will benefit more from the extra core. That is the main difference, however he made a mistake.

    It's easy to do, it's confusing.

    The M4A78T-E is an AM3 board. The 940 is an AM2+ CPU, and cannot use DDR3 RAM or run on an AM3 board.

    Take your build with the Biostar board and plug in the 940. Have a look at some of the current deals on 4870 1GB:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-091-PC&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=939
  24. Proximon said:
    Can I chime in? Helloworld is better at the UK stuff than me, but let me see here...

    He recommended the X4 940 because the games you listed indicate that you will benefit more from the extra core. That is the main difference, however he made a mistake.

    It's easy to do, it's confusing.

    The M4A78T-E is an AM3 board. The 940 is an AM2+ CPU, and cannot use DDR3 RAM or run on an AM3 board.

    Take your build with the Biostar board and plug in the 940. Have a look at some of the current deals on 4870 1GB:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-091-PC&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=939


    1) Im not an expert on these things so what motherboard and RAM do you recommend for the 940?

    2) Ill look into the GPU
  25. Don't use the higher RAM on AMD boards because many CPU coolers stick out over the RAM slots. Here is some nice low latency Corsair:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148816

    This 790X board is decent:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160854
  26. Does this look good?

    AMD 940 BE
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4 AMD 790X Socket AM2+
    Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz
    4850 512mb OR 4870 1GB
    Antec 900
    PCP&C 610w
    Western Digital 160GB
    LG GH22NS30 22x DVD-RW
    Windows 7

    1) Im not sure about what GPU to get I might get the 4850 512mb and crossfire soon or get the 4870 1GB and stick with that for a while

    2) If i do plan on crossfiring will i need a PSU with a bit more power?
  27. That might be enough for two 4850s... but it's close. Usually tou can get the Corsair 650TX for about the same price, and it's the better PSU and more likely to be happy in 4850 crossfire.

    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135514
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Crossfire HD Systems