New hp/nvida 9300 - No display

john32118

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Very briefly, I recieved my new hp 6710t with an upgrade to a nvidia 9300 video card. Upon first use, there was only a black screen. After troubleshooting, i only got video by removing the card from the motherboard and using the onboard graphics. If I plug the nvida back in I again get no video display.

It appears either the card is bad or the drivers were not installed. I looked under device manager and there is no entry for nvidia whatsoever (i thought atleast it would be there and say disabled). I looked in the hidden program files and the nvidia folder only has 3 entries and 2 of them are like 1K. I searched the registry and did see what appears to be the nvidia advanced drivers.

An interesting note, on the hp support forum, i read an email from hp tech support that said the nvidia 9300 card requires a 350w power supply but the 6710t pc they are installing them in has only a 250w power supply???
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Monitor&message.id=592&query.id=25177

What do you guys think the problem is? HP wants me to send the entire computer back to them. I would rather just trash the 30 dollar card and go buy a new one from walmart cause they have a no hassle return policy. I would like to try to send the card back to hp and get my 30 bucks back.

But I am perplexed by this problem...what do you think the problem is?

Thanks in advance.

john32118

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Also, forgive me for appearing stupid, but I am connecting the monitor using the vga output on the motherboard. The nvida 9300 only has a dvi and hdmi. I assume the enhanced video capabilities would be routed to the vga output. Is that the case or will I only see the video via the dvi/hdmi on the nvidia card? If so, the hp site says to adjust the nvidia graphic properties by right clicking on the desktop but I get no nvidia options when I do that.

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

ok lets start off with the most obvious solution first the VGA output on the motherboard is for the onboard graphics ONLY. What you need to do is get an adapter like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999901 (and you may already have it in a box somewhere that came with your computer. ) then connect your monitor vga cable to the video card.

the power supply could be another issue but just use the adapter first and come back with the results.

john32118

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Problem solved! Thank you very much.

I assumed the output would still come out of the vga.

They did give me the adapter however when I looked at it, it had many less pins that what was on the card input so I assumed it was just an extra accessory. Stupid me didn't realize that it would still plug in.

I shouldn't blame hp for my stupidity but in numerous calls to tech support nobody even asked about which output I was using and I was too dumb to think about it till I posted earlier.

Anyway, this concludes a week of aggravation and I thank you for your help. HP was going to have me send the unit back.

Thanks again