Gskill Sniper 60GB slow read speeds

npolite

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Hi All,

I've been having this odd issue with this new Gskill Sniper 60GB drive. I've installed it in a AMD X4 630 system with a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM board. Running the CrystalDiskMark, I am getting sequential reads at 150-160MB/sec and writes at close to 100MB/sec. This seems low compared to my older Phoenix Pro 120 which reaches read speeds at around 200MB/sec. The SATA setup is in raid mode because I have two other HDD drives in Raid 1. I tried updating the BIOS, switched SATA cables and nothing seemed to work. I then took our the drive and hooked it up to a Gigabyte MB using the Intel P35chipset and the read speeds were around 200MB/sec which is what I expect.

I then ran HD Tune and while it started at around 150MB/sec it had sustained close to 200 for about 75% of the test with an average of around 188MB/sec. The other strange thing is that the CrystalDiskInfo doesn't even detect the drive. I also updated the FW to the latest 3.2 code and installed the latest chipset drivers from AMD.

Could it be that CrystalDiskMark doesn't work well with AMD chipsets?

29qbqco.png

24awj1g.png

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I have the same SSD on an 890GX board an I am getting similar results with HD Tune...Yet with ATTO and Sandra I am getting 225 MB/s reads - 175 MB/s write with ATTO..with sandra I got 197 MB/s avg.....I couldn't get my AHCI drivers to work so it is installed in IDE...I did enable AHCI through BIOS...I believe the drive is still in IDE though. My Firmware is v3.1. I haven't ran crystal other to monitor the drives.