Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New build: pc shuts down after 7 seconds and restarts

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 14, 2009 7:59:57 PM

This is my first attempt in assembling a pc from scratch. I have a core i7 cpu on an x58 motherboard, when I start up the PC, it runs for about 7 seconds and then it restarts and runs continuously . During this phase there isn't any output to the monitor and there are no beeps on the speaker. But what was I thinking: I didn't use thermal compound paste. Since it wasn't in the processor box I concluded that it wasn't needed on the newer cooling systems. I hope the processor is alright. Tomorrow I'll buy some paste. Could these 7 seconds before shutdown and restart be explained by a default emergency shutdown temperature set in the BIOS of the motherboard? Why does it restart itself after these few seconds and continuous to run then? I mean did it only shutdown the processor but not the rest or something?.
September 14, 2009 8:16:22 PM

well, first off. always use thermal paste! 2nd, boxed coolers ussually have paste at the bottom of them. 3rd, it could be a ram problem. take out all the sticks and only use one at a time. if you have another power supply to use, try that.
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 8:36:16 PM

this also happens if the cpu is not supported by the current bios or the settings are wrong.. you may need to update bios prior to installing cpu. another thing to note..make sure all power to the mainboard is connected.. the 24 pin and the 4 pin...
Related resources
September 14, 2009 9:08:24 PM

Hard Line said:
this also happens if the cpu is not supported by the current bios or the settings are wrong.. you may need to update bios prior to installing cpu. another thing to note..make sure all power to the mainboard is connected.. the 24 pin and the 4 pin...

Hi thank you both for your answers. The first time I started the pc I did forget the 4 pin one for powering up the CPU. Now I connected the 8 pins (4+4 ATX 2.0 ?) . Updating the bios that can't be done without another cpu and installing an OS. I'm a right? Or is there some kind of bootable cd with bios update software installed on it and thus requiring another cpu for this software to run.

September 14, 2009 9:21:11 PM

daft said:
well, first off. always use thermal paste! 2nd, boxed coolers ussually have paste at the bottom of them. 3rd, it could be a ram problem. take out all the sticks and only use one at a time. if you have another power supply to use, try that.


Hi daft, thank you for your answer. I was switching the ram modules one by one in different slots this didn't give any result. Switching the power supply could be a good idea. Since I noticed that when turning of the pc it has the intention to switch on again. You can see the fan that starts spinning and the leds emit for one second. After that the pc completely shuts down. The psu is a 1000W Corsair.

a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 9:22:40 PM

There is no need to guess about temperature problems once you can get your PC to run.

If you installed the stock cooler, it already has paste. Do not touch it for the time being. When you are running continuously, Download CPUID Hardware Monitor to monitor temps while running and let us know what numbers you see at idle and at some load.

The forced reboot followed by followed by successful running sounds like BIOS is automatically reloading a set of defaults it is more comfortable with.

Please give us your complete configuration including psu so we can figure this out.
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 9:35:48 PM

Best to make sure your cables are all connected before anything else(!), ATX20+4 pin, P4 (4+4), any molex 4-pin on mb, PCE-E to video card, that should be about it. Disconnect all data and power connectors from your drives. You really only want to test cpu, mb, ram and gpu in isolation.

Even better if your mb has on-board vga. You can then remove the video card from the equation as well for now.

You only need the power switch connected to the header pins, but if you want connect the resest switch and power LED as well.

The advice of testing only one stick of ram is always good. One stick in the first slot to start with. Now you should be able to power up, tap away on the DEL or F2 key (or whatever it is for your board) to enter BIOS

It does appear the system is trying to complete a POST, but cannot. If you can get into BIOS it should POST, after which you'll receive an error about no discs found or bootable media or something. That's good, turn off and reconnect your drives.
September 14, 2009 9:40:40 PM

Twoboxer said:
There is no need to guess about temperature problems once you can get your PC to run.

If you installed the stock cooler, it already has paste. Do not touch it for the time being. When you are running continuously, Download CPUID Hardware Monitor to monitor temps while running and let us know what numbers you see at idle and at some load.

The forced reboot followed by followed by successful running sounds like BIOS is automatically reloading a set of defaults it is more comfortable with.

Please give us your complete configuration including psu so we can figure this out.


Hi, When the pc runs continuously I haven't got screen output so I was unable to install an OS.

specs: MB: Asrock x58 supercomputer
PROC: intel icore7 920 2,6 GHZ
MEM: Corsair DDR3 6GB XMS 3
PSU: Corsair HX 1000W
video card: MSI NX8400GS
September 14, 2009 9:56:30 PM

Motherboard failure at first glimpse. If it was your heatsink install, you would at least see and hear a post... it isn't the case.
September 14, 2009 9:59:42 PM

Mastr said:
Hi, When the pc runs continuously I haven't got screen output so I was unable to install an OS.

specs: MB: Asrock x58 supercomputer
PROC: intel icore7 920 2,6 GHZ
MEM: Corsair DDR3 6GB XMS 3
PSU: Corsair HX 1000W
video card: MSI NX8400GS


Don't search anymore, your motherboard is DOA. You got a really good power supply and some great memory.

Just to be sure, do you have a bell for your motherboard beep code? Check this before RMA anything.
September 14, 2009 10:22:25 PM

redgarl said:
Don't search anymore, your motherboard is DOA. You got a really good power supply and some great memory.

Just to be sure, do you have a bell for your motherboard beep code? Check this before RMA anything.


Do you mean if I have a reference for the beeps coming from the motherboard. No I don't. I hooked up a speaker from another case since my case didn't have one. And there were no beeps.

Someone has the same problem with the asrock supercomputer

It was indeed 90/100 DOA

Thanks


September 14, 2009 10:56:15 PM

Mastr said:
Do you mean if I have a reference for the beeps coming from the motherboard. No I don't. I hooked up a speaker from another case since my case didn't have one. And there were no beeps.

Someone has the same problem with the asrock supercomputer

It was indeed 90/100 DOA

Thanks


If there is no beeps, your motherboard is dead. You can try to reset the cmos by removing the battery for 5 seconds, but I doubt it will change anything.
September 14, 2009 10:58:07 PM

Twoboxer said:
Sorry, didn't see you had "New Build Won't Boot" problems.

Please follow this checklist:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-261145_13_0.ht...

as if you were examining someone else's work. If you don't, you risk repeating any assembly error you might have made.


Hi,

19. Have you tried resetting the CMOS? The motherboard manual will have instructions for your particular board.

Yes I moved the jumper to 2 and 3 for 5 seconds and then back to 1 2 while the psu was powered of to clear the CMOS.

20. If you have integrated video and a video card, try the integrated video port. Resetting the bios, can make it default back to the onboard video.

No there isn't any on board video on the asrock supercomputer motherboard.


Breadboarding : I placed my motherboard on a piece of carton and still no beeps. This in case there was a short circuit between case and motherboard. Same story: No beeps, No screen output.

a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 11:55:57 PM

Have you tried to boot with only one stick of memory (with at least two different sticks)?

I presume your vid card worked recently in another PC?

If not one of the above, we're pretyy much down to psu or mobo.

If you have an old psu, or can borrow one, you can eliminate psu and rma the mobo.
September 15, 2009 12:43:18 AM

I think I found the solution in the thread I mentioned before in another post.

The bios is incompatible with the core-i7 920 processor D0 stepping.
I need to upgrade to BIOS P2.40
I can't do this without another processor unless I place another bios chip if that is even possible?


Thanks a lot for the support.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2009 1:21:57 AM

that is correct.. as what I suspected.. I believe a bios update may get you up and running, however after further research on newegg. and they have some serious issues with this board...I call RMA and if you can, exchange for a different brand.. I had an asrock board that died after the egg policy, they could only keep replacing with a refurbished parts over and over. ( never got a working board and had to buy a dif brand. my 2 cents
September 15, 2009 5:37:07 AM

The stepping D0 has a new CPU-ID compared to the previous C0 stepping, therefore the processors with different steppings (C0,D0) are recognized by the motherboard as two different processors. This is why the BIOS has to be updated.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2009 5:01:42 PM

ASROCK "super Computer" didnt receive favourable reviews in Custom PC - they tested it with a D0 stepping CPU - so it would seem more likely to be DOA and not a BIOS issue.

ASROCK are not a high end brand mobo maker... ASUS / Gigabyte would serve you better
September 15, 2009 8:59:19 PM

Hi, I just hope that it's not DOA so i'm going for the bios update.

In the X58 supported cpu list there are other D0 steppings cpu's maybe it was one of them that Custom PC used. Could you be more clearer on this?

Socket Family Number Frequency QPI Cache Core since bios
1366 Xeon W5590(D0) 3.33GHz 6.4GT/s 8MB Nehalem P2.40
1366 Xeon W5580(D0) 3.2GHz 6.4GT/s 8MB Nehalem P2.40
1366 Xeon X5570(D0) 2.93GHz 6.4GT/s 8MB Nehalem P2.40
1366 Xeon X5560(D0) 2.8GHz 6.4GT/s 8MB Nehalem P2.40
1366 Xeon X5550(D0) 2.66GHz 6.4GT/s 8MB Nehalem P2.40
1366 Xeon W3570(D0) 3.2GHz 6.4GT/s 8MB Nehalem P1.70
1366 Xeon W3540(D0) 2.93GHz 4.8GT/s 8MB Nehalem P1.70
1366 Xeon W3520(D0) 2.66GHz 4.8GT/s 8MB Nehalem P1.70
1366 Xeon E5506(D0) 2.13GHz 4.8GT/s 4MB Nehalem P2.40
1366 Xeon E5504(D0) 2.0GHz 4.8GT/s 4MB Nehalem P2.40
1366 Xeon E5502(D0) 1.86GHz 4.8GT/s 4MB Nehalem P2.40
1366 Core i7 975(D0) 3.33GHz 6.4GT/s 8MB Bloomfield P1.70
1366 Core i7 i7-965 3.20GHz 6.4GT/s 8MB Bloomfield P1.20
1366 Core i7 950(D0) 3.06GHz 4.8GT/s 8MB Bloomfield P1.70
1366 Core i7 i7-940 2.93GHz 4.8GT/s 8MB Bloomfield P1.20
1366 Core i7 i7-920 2.66GHz 4.8GT/s 8MB Bloomfield P1.20

I have a i7-920 cpu with D0 stepping its clearly not supported in 2.40 maybe it's supported in 2.50 the version I'm going to update to.



January 30, 2010 12:48:48 PM

I have to apologize for being wrong about the stepping of the processor. It had nothing to do with that.
The Corsair 1000HX was broken when I got it brand new and I returned it still being under warranty, and received a new one.

But I only figured it out when the motherboard was working perfectly when it was investigated back at the store where I bought it.

So thanks for your responses even if it is a while ago.











!