Sign in with
Your question

Hot OC'ed cpu, need better cooler.

Last response: in Overclocking
May 23, 2011 1:01:33 PM

Hello all,

My CPU is an i7 930 OC'ed 3.8ghz with voltage at 1.375v. (It's on auto so sometimes reaches 1.379v.)
Motherboard: gigabyte ga-x58a-ud5
case: corsair obsidian 800D

Few days ago I bought some extra fans to help airflow in the case and i am also about to buy a panel to control the voltage of some fans to increase it.

My Cpu cooler is Coolermaster N520 and my cpu goes 85-89 (depending on core) degrees while using wPrime test. I feel this is abit too much especially when room temp is 20-25 degrees.

I am between Noctua dh14 and Scythe Mugen 2 rev B (with replaced 3k rpm fans scythe ultra kaze). The total price is around the same for those two on amazon.co.uk (since i would buy the extra fans for the Scythe cooler).

Any advice on which to pick? Also note my ram is Dominator GT so the heatspreader they have on top is tall as you know. I also have a kit of corsair XMS3 rams 1600mhz 9cas to replace just in case I buy smthing that doesnt fit but the Dominator GT 2000mhz 8cas is... much better in terms of quality and I would rather not change it.

More about : hot cpu cooler

May 23, 2011 1:05:36 PM

Forgot to mention that when I am running stock i7 930 at 2.8ghz its 40degrees idle and 61degrees max at load
Related resources
May 24, 2011 11:06:55 AM

Thanks for the links! If its possible to remove the heatsinks from the ram thats what i will probably do.
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
May 24, 2011 12:10:16 PM

tlg said:
Thanks for the links! If its possible to remove the heatsinks from the ram thats what i will probably do.

That depends some older Dominator kits don't have the removeable top.
Easy to distinguish the difference = screws
!