Sus M3N78 PRO AMD Phenom 9500 vs Athlon X2 Dual Core 7850, 2.8GHz

Upgrading on a tight budget from Athlon64 3500+

Should i go for Asus M3N78 PRO Motherboard CPU Bundle - AMD Phenom 9500 2.20GHz Retail Processor
or
MSI K9N2 Diamond Motherboard / CPU Bundle - NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI, Socket AM2+, PCI Express 2.0, LAN, AMD Athlon X2 Dual ?
Use for gaming and multimedia.
Any suggestions?
8 answers Last reply
More about m3n78 phenom 9500 athlon dual core 7850 8ghz
  1. i would say get the athlon since its newer and i think faster... correct me if im wrong but doesn't the first phenom's have problems?
  2. Neither - get a P2X3 720BE and if not looking to SLI/CF a simple Gigabyte 770 is good to go with a GPU with some teeth hehe If really tight maybe Callisto P2X2 550BE?
  3. neither

the 9500 quad is a failed chip with a built in error [ that gets compensated for by slowing the entire computer ]

The athlon is decent enough , but the mb sucks . You'd be better off with a new dual core Phenom 550 be and mb combo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.200020
  4. Thanks guys!
    With a little bit of searching, i settle for,

Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H - AMD 790GX,
    AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition
    Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
    Will have to use onboard Video Card for a couple of weeks.
    Under $400
  5. ^ Good build, yes the first gen phenoms weren't the best :lol:
  6. Nah!
    1 gen phenom, 90% bad reviews.
    Only $38 more than my first choice
    and it's not the same machine at all!
    My only doubt is the Gigabyte mobo.
    Had a bad experience with a mobo one time.
    Always had Asus/nforce since.
  7. LATTEH said:
    i would say get the athlon since its newer and i think faster... correct me if im wrong but doesn't the first phenom's have problems?

Yes, and I'll be AMD worked some of the kinks out :D I'm loving my 940 Black.
  8. Hi i just got hold of the 9500 phenom 2.2 as a bundle from maplins electronics if you box clever they reduce it every now and then to £189 but the normal price is £249.00 the ecs motherboard runs ok but its matx so the gtx 260 which i have covers the only other free slot on the board so leaves no space to put anything else in its 10" long so is very tight in a matx box the memory is 800mhz you would do better with 1066 timing rate is higher. the phenom itself does not have problems it runs like a dream i do a lot of 3d modelling cs3 and gaming and not once has this chip even considered pausing it can be set in the split affinity settings to let each core work on its own as in cs3 core1 gaming another and so on.
    if you want a cheap way to get a new system then its a good way to go but i am now in the prossess of upgrading the board and memory,if you look at my thread elag wants advice on a new motherboard you will see how far i went.

But to be very honest mate this bundle really is a good buy i run fallout 3 crysis arma2 with no problem all settings full up you will need a minimum of 550w psu 2 rails for the card. dont listen to the phenom knockers out there it runs like a dream and i have had a list as long as ya arm when it comes to cpus.and its by far one of the smoothest running chips i come across,im thinking about investing in the top boy now im so happy with this one.go for it

Elag
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build AMD Motherboards Phenom Systems