PSU Comparison need help

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a new case and power supply for my system. I am looking at these two different options for cases and PSU's. Any thoughts as to which will be better for cooling and system expansion in the future? Any other suggestions?

Here is my system:

1. Intel Core i5 750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
2. GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
3. SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223B
4. Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard x 1 (for backup)
5. Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive x 2 (In RAID 1)
6. LG W2043T-PF Black 20" 5ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor x 3
7. Geek Squad 1500VA UPS/Battery Back-Up System
8. Diamond HD4850 1GB PCI-Express Video Card x 2 or Diamond HD4670 1GB PCI-Express Video Card x 2 (still deciding)
9. G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD

Here are the cases I am considering:

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138
2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

Here are the PSU's I am considering:

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018


Thanks:)
21 answers Last reply
More about comparison help
  1. Both pc cases are very good. Sometimes case selection is a matter of personal preference. Purchase the one you like.

    Corsair has a reputation for high quality power supplies. The psu's consistenly earn high marks in technical reviews. They are stable and reliable.

    Here's a link to a technical review of the Corsair HX620 power supply:

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=21

    Here's a link to a technical review of theOCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP:

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=24
  2. I agree about the cases. The Scout isn't a full tower though so you might feel cramped a bit. The Corsair psu is definitely my choice but would you prefer a modular psu? You can get the 620hx for a bit more and it might help you out w/ case clutter if you end up not needing most of the cables.
  3. I like both of the cases I just wasn't sure if one would do a better job of cooling than the other. Any ideas on this?

    I am looking at the Corsair PSU and alos the Antec Truepower TP-750. I ruled out the OCZ. The Anetc looks like it may even be a little bit better than the Corsair at the same price. Again not possitive just my interpretation. What do you think?
  4. I looked at photos of the Csmos 1000. I'd choose the Storm Scout due to better ventilation, airflow, and cooling.

    Both of those psu's are very good. I just recommended both of them in another thread. If you decide to go with Antec make sure it is the "Truepower New" version and not the older version. Here is a link to a technical review:

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.p [...] y&reid=140

    Time to get back to Monday Night Football.
  5. I have a cosmos 1000 case but I bought it because of the classic look and the endless modding possibilities. Out of the box the Scout will have much better air circulation so if you are looking for cooling performance then the Scout is your choice. In regards to the PSU get the Corsair.
  6. ragsters said:
    I have a cosmos 1000 case but I bought it because of the classic look and the endless modding possibilities. Out of the box the Scout will have much better air circulation so if you are looking for cooling performance then the Scout is your choice. In regards to the PSU get the Corsair.



    Thanks for the reply. Did you replace the stock fans or add additinal ones for better cooling? I like the looks of the Cosmos 1000 better but am worried about the cooling.
  7. bobbo1 said:


    I am looking at the Corsair PSU and alos the Antec Truepower TP-750

    The TP New 750 at $95 is a great deal, and yes, according to the reviews is better than the Corsair 620.
  8. delluser1 said:
    The TP New 750 at $95 is a great deal, and yes, according to the reviews is better than the Corsair 620.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026


    +1 for the TP New but the link you have is for the earthwatts 750W. Definitely get the TP New instead.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371025
  9. bobbo1 said:
    Thanks for the reply. Did you replace the stock fans or add additinal ones for better cooling? I like the looks of the Cosmos 1000 better but am worried about the cooling.


    I changed all the stock fans, added an intake hole on the door and added an exhaust hole up top. Here is a link to my rig.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2274.html
  10. ragsters said:
    +1 for the TP New but the link you have is for the earthwatts 750W. Definitely get the TP New instead.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371025

    Oops, thanx ragsters
  11. ragsters said:
    I changed all the stock fans, added an intake hole on the door and added an exhaust hole up top. Here is a link to my rig.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2274.html


    Your case is amazing! I love what you did. Would you mind emailing me a list of the fan parts, how you did the mods, etc...? I would love to be able to have this case as you have it. I also love the side panel view window. thx:)
  12. I agree about the Antec Truepower New (80+ bronze), AND, if you're still deciding on the video card(s), I would choose any brand other than Diamond. They earned a place on my personal "Do not buy" list for incompetent/irrelevant tech support, uselessly buggy web site, incomplete listings, bad drivers, failure to have their products listed on the AMD/ATI web site, etc, etc, ... There are too many good products (I like HIS for ATI) out there for me to ever need to consider buying Diamond.
  13. I did purchase the Antec New TP-750. I just saw I could pick the MSI GeForce GTS 250 512MB GDDR3 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card for $95 from newegg. Is this a decent card then? seems pretty cheap and 512k will be enough mem for what I am doing. I will need two of them for my 3 monitors. thx:)
  14. bobbo1 said:
    Your case is amazing! I love what you did. Would you mind emailing me a list of the fan parts, how you did the mods, etc...? I would love to be able to have this case as you have it. I also love the side panel view window. thx:)


    A lot of my inspiration came from TJ Harlow a well respected guy from youtube. Look at his earlier stuff with the Cosmos.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tjharlow

    In terms of fans just got ones that were cheap at the time and had LED. I am using 9-120mm LED Antec case fans. I got them on sale from Frys for like $7-$8 at the time.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209011&cm_re=antec_fans-_-35-209-011-_-Product

    Here is the side panel window.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999187&cm_re=cosmos-_-11-999-187-_-Product

    I also got the inside of my case powder coated black from a local powder coating company which cost me $110.

    Thanks for your comments on my build.
  15. thanks for the help. I was going to purchase the CM scout but newegg has the cosmos on sale for $130 today so I wanted to see what I would need to spend to get it close to what you have minus the power coating. Again, I really appreciate your time:)
  16. Coolermiester does plenty of Cosmos builds as well. Might want to check those out.
  17. bobbo1 said:
    thanks for the help. I was going to purchase the CM scout but newegg has the cosmos on sale for $130 today so I wanted to see what I would need to spend to get it close to what you have minus the power coating. Again, I really appreciate your time:)


    How is your project going? Did you get the case? What fans did you decide on getting?
  18. Project is going well and yes I ordered the case:) It should be to me by mid next week. I am a little nervious due to the size but it should fit just fine where I need to put it. I am looking at the Antec, Cooler Master, Xigmatek, or Thermaltake fans. Any preferences between these brands?
  19. It is not really about brand but instead about performance. Give me a link to the ones that you are considering and I will tell you which one I like most and why.
  20. These look pretty good. It matches the case, it has good airflow and there is free shipping.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103060
  21. Look at Petra's Yates or Zalman ZM-F3's on a low budget.

    The Scythe Gentle Typhoons are also great.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product