CPU is getting hot after applying Thermal Paste

tim1907

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
My CPU is getting hot after applying Thermal Paste.

My specs are:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Deneb 45nm Technology
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A785TD-V EVO (AM3)
V243HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Hard Drives
977GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA)
Optical Drives
Optiarc DVD RW AD-5240S ATA Device
HEVGX TMZK9UV SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

My CPU is currently not overclocked at 3.4GHZ. The CPU goes from 44C (idle) to 72C (not full load). I applied new thermal paste called Arctic Silver 5 High Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound. My CPU cooler is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2. I used Vodka to clean the CPU.

Not sure if this is important but I applied the Thermal Paste because I had High temperatures (36C - 67C) but now it is worse.

I want to ask how can I fix these high temperatures?

tim1907

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I also applied the paste twice (cleaning the first attempts paste of course) and the first time, i used the middle dot method but it didn't spread out properly and after I got clean film on my finger and spreaded it out all over the CPU. Also in the second time, it got cooler.

Use your Vodkar and drink it, after that, use alcohol or isopropyl alcohol to clean both CPU and Cooler.

Don't use your finger to apply the TIM because this have grease and damage the TIM as soon as you touch it, use and old credit or debit card (clean it too with alcohol before use) to cover all cooler, then install it on CPU.

edgaraslt

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
What case? I've had the same problem.
I've changed my stock cooler with a bigger one. Scythe katana3 ,and temperatures raised a lot,then I've bought antec two hundred. And temps are ok now,not excellent,but ok.

My point is that generally I've bought cpu cooler for a silence, and a new case for a cooler temps.

Also apply very very very thin layer of a thermal grease. It's hard to put too little of it. Usually people put too much.

tim1907

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I did the credit card thing, it kinda helped but its not better than it was at the start, 41C idle and 68C while playing Minecraft.

Also, how thick should the Thermal Paste be?

tim1907

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I'm thinking that an Antec 300 would be good because my CPU fan is pointing upwards and it generally seems alot better.

I'm going to try get a picture of my computer.

tim1907

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I can't, only for Intel processors i can twist it around. So would it be worth it to get Antec 300 or Coolermaster 690 II?

tim1907

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Ok I will try that if I keep failing at thermal paste stuff. Just a few more questions, what can I expect as a temperature change from the CM Elite 335 to CM 690 II with some more fans? and would buying a Hyper 212+ (if I can make it face the RAM) be worth it?

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
I'd say no. Regardless of case, the CPU temperature is too high. I really should have taken pictures of when I redid my CPU cooler, since these questions have been popping up like flowers.

Pure Alcohol, as in rubbing alcohol is not vodka. So go back to cleaning your CPU once again ad get all the gunk off the CPU and the cooler. My usual steps with AS5,
1.) clean big gunk with paper towl
2.) use Qtip with alcohol or non aggressive fingernail polish remover
3.) Polish with a microfiber cloth

To apply AS5 I spread about a pea size dot in the middle and then spread it with a credit card in a thin layer. It should not be oozing out of every side, but should cover it evenly in a thin layer. Please note that AS5 does have a burn in time. It will not achieve it's greatest potential till about 200 hours of use. Regardless, not over clocked you should be seeing much lower temperatures.

tim1907

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Supermuncher85's method seemed to of worked now its like 34C (almost idle) and 54C in Minecraft, although I did clean my GPU fan and now the GPU is 10C cooler. I might get the case in the future but now temperature is now not any of my concerns anymore hopefully.

Yeah you have a fair bit of dust in there i'm sure cleaning can help a bunch. If you have a dust filter on the intake it's probably super dirty too.

Also an easy way to tell if the case is a problem (air flow) just run it with the side open and see if the temps drop compared to being closed.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
^ I would definitely run with the case open for some time and see if it makes a difference.

Pressure air cans are a great way to get dust out. When using pressured air, hold the fan in place so it doesn't spin out of control. The air pressure could be too much for the bearings in the fans.