A new member seeking a little help

Fenblackrose

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
My problem that I cannot seem to figure out is that my cpu is producing a lot more heat than usual. I ran hyper Pi and by the 5th string my cpu temps were at 67-68C. I used to run on a m4n72-e and Idle temps from Asus AI at like 32-35C and load temps of 50-55C max same CPu. I cannot figure out why it is doing this, currently my rig contains

Case: APEVIA X-JUPITER S-Type
Powersupply: Thermaltake 750w Gold Plus
Motherboard: M4n98td EVO
CPU: AMD Phenom x4 965 Stock setting not overclocked or voltage change
CPU fan: Thermaltake Golden Orb 2 p/n CL-p0220-01 Can fit the AM3 and AM2/+ Sockets
Thermal Paste: The stuff that came with the Fan, It is kinda old like 3 years+
Video Cards: Nvidia GTX 460x2
Memory: G.SKill Sniper 2x4gb ddr3 1333
Soundcard: Creative SB x-fi Fatality series

I have conflicting results using HWmonitor, Asus Ai Suite and Bios. Hwmonitor shows really high heat at idle but when I restart I get around 47C a reduction of around 12-15C in around 15 secs of restart time in the bios. I think it takes a little longer than a quick restart to cool down the cpu right?

Also When Idle the HW monitor shows
Amd Phenom II x4 965
Cpu Vcore 1.38v 1.36v 1.39v
Core#0 55C 54C 59C
Core#1 55C 54C 59C
Core#2 55C 54C 59C
Core#3 55C 54C 59C

But Asus Ai suite says 47C and my system temp has never risen above 38C usually stays 30-31C. I have tried researching different sites and I cannot find any decent information. Even this site I have seen a thread where same processor is achieving high heat because of the high voltage but I don't think it is supposed to get this hot under idle.

I know it is a lot of info but I have really no idea what to do. I tried replacing the custom fan with stock but it runs a little hotter. Reapplied thermal paste to it also but still same temps any help would be great.

Fenblackrose

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I just cleaned it as I was cleaning the thermal paste and fan. I usually take compressed air to the fans 2-4 times a week maybe even more. I have 3 intakes and 3 exhaust counting powersupply as an exhaust. 2x 80mm exhaust with 120mm or 80mm i can't remember exactly what the power supply exhaust size was. 2x120mm front and top intake with side 180mm intake.

My system temp does not rise above 35C and video cards run at around 39-42C with idle 55C with high load and 60C max that I have seen.

Fenblackrose

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Yeah I cleaned it the past is just a standard thermal compound that came with the orb fan and I have had the chip for about a year now. Only recently has it jumped temps like this like in the past two weeks. It is stable I haven't had it crash or anything but i was just a little worried because the max temp from asus is like 62C.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

The first thing is to get SpeedFan. It's pretty accurate and works with most boards. 67 is high but you may want to look at your fan arrangement also. with the 2 GPUs you may want to go negative pressure where more fans are blowing out than in. I also lowered my temps by around 8 degrees by getting an SSD. The CPU isn't the only thing heating your case and thereby each component.

You definitely shouldn't see idle temps anywhere near that. Do you have balanced set in Power Options? I also run CPU-Z at all times to see what my clock speed is. My X4 940(3GHz) sits at 800MHz most of the time. All Phenoms drop to 2300 -> 1800 -> 800MHz so the stock speed won't change idle power.

Fenblackrose

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
alright with power balanced on I get around 47C-50C which is a lot better than what it was before still not as low as I would like but I believe that is because of how old the fan and thermal paste is. Appreciate all the tips and help.