Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Push Pull w/ 3-pin fans?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 23, 2011 8:08:24 PM

I am planning to install a Corsair H60 closed loop CPU cooler into a Raven RV02-E case. My motherboard is an ASUS Sabertooth P67, which has two 4-pin headers for the CPU fans, one 3-pin for the chassis fan, and one for the "power" fan (not sure what that is, honestly).

The fans that I plan on using are a pair of Scythe Gentle Typhoons (1850rpm versions), which has 3-pin connectors. It does come with a 3-pin to 4-pin molex connector, but no motherboard 4-pin converter.

Since these fans are going to be in a push-pull configuration on the H60 radiator, it's pretty important (or so I'm told) that they operate at exactly the same speed to minimize competition and noise.

As I understand it, I can plug these fans into the two 4-pin headers and they will run, BUT they won't be speed-controlled. There's a bunch of stuff online about controlling the fan speeds via adjusting voltages, but I can't find any sort of tutorial. Can anyone help me out here?

Also, would you recommend decreasing the run speed? My case is known for superb air flow, so I feel like I might be able to get away with slightly slower-running fans for less noise (the fans supposedly run at 28db at full spin, guaranteed to be more because of the radiator and the top grille). The default of course would be to run them at full power constantly.

Edit: also some accessory info, I will be running two MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III HD 6950 video cards, which is not a closed system like reference HD 6950 cards, meaning that they don't exhaust exclusively into the I/O side of the card, but rather pushes air out of all sides and into the case. Does this mean that running my only main exhaust fan at anything lower than 100% would not be a good idea?

Keep in mind that the bottom of my fan is covered by three 180mm Air Penetrator fans.

Thanks in advance for your time, I really do appreciate it.

More about : push pull pin fans

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2011 9:43:02 AM

As you've said, the 3-pin fans (Scythe - good choice) will work in the 4-pin headers but can't be controlled. If this is only an issue because they need to be at the same speed, then that's not actually an issue as they will both simply run at 100%.

There are a few programs that are meant to control CPU fan voltages etc, such as speedfan, but I've never go on with any of these. I've recently bit the bullet and bought an 8-channel fan controller for my 12 fan tower, which might be something worth looking into.

Nesteq FanMax 8-Channel Fan Controller

I've got a wee video showing it off here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkdW-KrjrXQ&hd=1

Just a heads up - instead of the Typhoon's, Scythe's slipstream fans are VERY quiet. In my case I have 9 of them, and even all together and at 100%, they're quieter than even one of my GPUs.

Personally I would always have the rear fan on 100% as it's above the GPU's and you want to get that heat out of the case and not on your CPU.
May 27, 2011 12:25:17 PM

acer0169 said:
As you've said, the 3-pin fans (Scythe - good choice) will work in the 4-pin headers but can't be controlled. If this is only an issue because they need to be at the same speed, then that's not actually an issue as they will both simply run at 100%.

There are a few programs that are meant to control CPU fan voltages etc, such as speedfan, but I've never go on with any of these. I've recently bit the bullet and bought an 8-channel fan controller for my 12 fan tower, which might be something worth looking into.

Nesteq FanMax 8-Channel Fan Controller

I've got a wee video showing it off here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkdW-KrjrXQ&hd=1

Just a heads up - instead of the Typhoon's, Scythe's slipstream fans are VERY quiet. In my case I have 9 of them, and even all together and at 100%, they're quieter than even one of my GPUs.

Personally I would always have the rear fan on 100% as it's above the GPU's and you want to get that heat out of the case and not on your CPU.

I've actually looked into the slipstreams, and I decided in favor of the GTs for the higher quality bearings, since I'm hoping to futureproof this computer for at least half a decade or more. Still, thanks very much for your reply, I just needed to make sure I wasn't going to cause any disastrous stuttering or something. Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
May 27, 2011 12:25:24 PM

Best answer selected by PandaJohn.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2011 4:20:37 PM

You're very welcome.
Thanks for the BA.
m