Sign in with
Your question

Help - MoBo for i5 Gaming (buying soon)

Last response: in Motherboards
December 5, 2009 12:01:31 AM

I'm building my first gaming computer. I have the parts picked out except for MoBo. I'm torn between three. I plan on CrossFireing my Radeon 5770 eventually but not at this moment. Here are my parts for reference.

---Rob's Computer Parts---

I can't choose between these three MoBos. I like the Free Shipping on the ASUS and the GIGABYTE Micro. And what's the difference in the Micro? Does that mean it doesnt do crossfire as well or something? Please help me because I want to buy it asap. Thank you. Any questions, just ask.

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD4 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

More about : mobo gaming buying

December 5, 2009 3:34:24 AM

are there any answers? does anyone know? which mobo is best...
m
l
December 5, 2009 3:57:21 AM

go with the Asus man. I have had so much success with Asus boards. Have you seen an ASUS box? it says ASUS " ROCK HARD" lol how could that not be win?
m
l
Related resources
December 5, 2009 5:49:01 AM

brysondearen said:
go with the Asus man. I have had so much success with Asus boards. Have you seen an ASUS box? it says ASUS " ROCK HARD" lol how could that not be win?

would that specific ASUS come with a SLI connector? Because in the picture it doesnt show it but it does on the Gigabyte one. And when I check the specifications, it doesn't say...
m
l
December 5, 2009 6:07:27 PM

Rob_3 said:
I'm building my first gaming computer. I have the parts picked out except for MoBo. I'm torn between three. I plan on CrossFireing my Radeon 5770 eventually but not at this moment. Here are my parts for reference.

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I like that one. That's the one I just installed. Great motherboard, and OC'd my i5 very quickly, and very easily. Seriously the smoothest OC I've ever performed. :)  That board has also gotten very good reviews online as well. I think Tom's even reviewed that one in a bunch of others, and it was their pick if I recall.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-motherboar...

The GA-P55-UD4P comes with SLI connector too.
m
l
December 5, 2009 6:16:39 PM

Between the Gigabyte boards: The Micro will be smaller over all, and so your GPUs (if you Crossfire or SLI) will be closer together. To be quite honest, on the Micro board your GPUs will probably touch each other if they are both dual-slot. You won't get great airflow between them.

On the standard P55-UD4P there's a good half inch or more between the two boards for airflow. I'm not at home so I can't take a real measurement on my board to tell you exactly what it is. But there is sufficient spacing to allow airflow between cards.

Here's a direct comparison on the Gigabyte website between those two boards:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...

They are feature wise the same, except the Micro has less connections (IEEE, SATA, USB, PCI-E 1x, LAN) on it. However, the P55-UD4P has the Smart TPM feature which helps reduce overall power use, potentially creating a more efficient system.

If you want to do Crossfire or SLI, I'd suggest the full ATX size (GA-P55-UD4P) as it will allow both video cards to breath.

BTW: Your link to your computer parts does not work. You need to create a "Public Wish List". The one you listed requires us to log in with your info. ;) 
m
l
December 5, 2009 9:29:57 PM

jerreece said:
Look for combo deals if you haven't bought the i5-750 already. Here's one at Tiger Direct.com

i5-750 + Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P = $349.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

i5-750 + Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 = $334.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Or you can buy the i5-750 alone at J&R Electronics for $184.99
http://www.jr.com/intel/pe/ITE_BX80605I575/

finally someone posts an intelligent response. thank you very much. i will buy the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P from newegg because I plan to buy the i5 from Microcenter for $149.99. Thanks again jerreece.
m
l
December 6, 2009 12:54:09 AM

I have the same gigabyte board. Its been a great experience.
Enthusiast P55: Eight LGA 1156 Boards Between $150 And $200
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-motherboar...
Scroll down and Tom put 2009 "recomended buy " badge on. lol
I'm sure teh Asus is good to. But the ud4p I have not seen many unhappy people.

edit: i bought mine in a combo deal at newegg with the i5750 and the cheapest ocz 1600
memory (that weekend) 406.00 dollars.

There is also a slighty different newer version of this board
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
15.00 more
They reworked the voltage circuitry a little bit and the cpu socket (maybe)
also has usb 3.0 (which I have no use for yet)

I dropped the hammer on the original cause of a better deal on combo price.
m
l
December 6, 2009 11:42:47 PM

I would avoid all Asus and Gigabyte boards since they all use Foxconn sockets and are the boards that are dying and taking the boards with them. Look for one that says Lotes on the socket bracket, it will have a Lotes socket which is safe.
m
l
December 7, 2009 12:36:45 AM

AMW1011 said:
I would avoid all Asus and Gigabyte boards since they all use Foxconn sockets and are the boards that are dying and taking the boards with them. Look for one that says Lotes on the socket bracket, it will have a Lotes socket which is safe.

whats the difference? and whats so bad about the sockets that Asus and Gigabyte use?
m
l
December 7, 2009 1:21:45 AM

Rob_3 said:
whats the difference? and whats so bad about the sockets that Asus and Gigabyte use?

There's information going around online about Foxconn CPU sockets on P55 motherboards that potentially may have a defect. I'm not sure whether it's as huge a deal as people say it is. Some folks think it's being blown out of proportions. Personally, I have no idea.

The theory is however, that the socket it not pushing the CPU completely against the pins in the socket. Because not all the pins make physical contact with the CPU, it is causing electrical damage (burn/shorts) to the pins (board) and CPU when people are Overclocking. There's an article all about it over at Anandtech.com. They specifically stated the problems they've seen have been with Overclocks of 4.3Ghz and higher, and mainly with people performing extreme OC's (not using air/water coolers).

To my knowledge, I don't think any manufacturers have made any public statements.
m
l
December 7, 2009 2:39:08 AM

I agree that there really isn't enough information right now, but I still recommend airing on the side of caution. Besides, that is a good board for a good price, the brand doesn't matter nearly as much as it used to when it comes to motherboards.
m
l
December 16, 2009 5:20:13 PM

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P has gotten several top reviews.

If I was buying, I'd wait until January when a whole new bunch of 32 nm processors and less expensive motherboards will hit the streets. That complicates (and delays) your decision but eliminates buyer remorse.
m
l
December 16, 2009 5:42:25 PM

its kinda too late now :/  i bought the GA-P55-UD4P
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2009 11:18:13 AM

Not to revive a dead thread but something was said here that wasn't entirely true. I bought a GA-P55A-UD3 and I thought I was safe because it has a LOTES bracket on it. Guess what. It's got a FOXCONN interface. The metal is LOTES but the circuit is FOXCONN. I had to remove my cooler to get a good look at it, and sure enough there it was.

Now I will mention that according to what I have read the original FOXCONN bracket was bad, not exactly the circuitry itself. It just wasn't applying good enough pressure onto the chip itself. I did NOT check my chip to see if I was having any issues where the circuitry wasn't contacting the CPU correctly because it's 5 AM and I don't have a strong enough light source and I don't have a magnifying glass to get a good look.

From what I have read though this issue was resolved quietly by Foxconn and all the newer units (The ones with LOTES brackets) should be good to go. I will admit this seems sneaky to me, but then again I got a cheap motherboard and I will not go over recommended voltages and won't try to get over 4 Ghz on this chip. Hell, I would want a different motherboard anyhow since there are some features on this one I don't like.
m
l
!