XP finds device every reboot

tja

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I've seen some old posts but didn't see any answers. I'm using XP, SP3. Device Manager says new hardware found every time I restart. This whole mess started with me installing a wireless adapter & router - from there it's been downhill. AFter that, when I turned my Epson printer on, it would totally disable the adapter - only way to get wireless internet back was to uninstall & reinstall the adapter & router. Then, I plugged the Epson printer into a different USB port. That stopped interfering with the wireless adapter, but then it wouldn't print right (stopping, starting, stopping, starting a print job). I eventually uninstalled the printer software. Since then, when I reinstall it (have a disc), it tells me to plug the printer in to the computer - I do, but eventually, the installation disc tells me that no printer is detected (it will install the scanner software, but it won't install the printer driver). I've tried getting a new cable for the printer - that didn't work. I've tried varying the USB ports I connect to - no dice. And, I purchased a portable hard drive to back-up (thinking things are beginning to deterioate & I better back up my 'stuff'). That device (WD Essential) has no software. When I plug it into a USB port, it powers up, Device Manager recognizes a new device, but then nothing - I can't "open" and no interface ever pops up, so it's unusable.

I have contacted Epson, WD, Dell (I have a Dimensions 3000), and of course searched Microsoft's site. I've also run the original OS disc to see if something needed repaired. Nothing works. And now, on every re-start, I get the "new hardware detected" (an audio modem) - when I find the "device", I choose "uninstall" and it disappears from Device Manager. But, it still keeps popping up on restart.

Anyone have any suggestions/answers?

tja

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion - I think I already did that, but I'll check again. Heck, in addition to all of the above, I've done a 32 bit diagnostic and posted it in the Dell community forum, I've tried to install things in safe mode, I searched for updated drivers at Microsoft and from the companies for the products I've mentioned . . . grrrrrr, it's maddening! It all started with installing the wireless adapter and router - maybe the answer is - don't change anything once your computer enters middle age (it's 6-7 years old)!