Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't select HDD to install on

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
September 25, 2011 12:31:35 PM

I'm trying to install Windows Server 2008. When I get to the part where I should select where the OS needs to be installed, it remains blank. It tells me "No device drivers were found". The SATA HDD is seen in the BIOS, and if I browse for drivers, the driver is shown. I used the command line packed with the installer to format the drive, just to be sure. It's formatted to NTFS.

More about : select hdd install

a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2011 2:08:34 PM

Check the motherboard manufactures website for the "SATA controler" driver.
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2011 2:13:53 PM

Quote:
I used the command line packed with the installer to format the drive, just to be sure.
What do you mean? I never had to do that when installing Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 on compatible hardware.
Related resources
September 25, 2011 2:20:09 PM

The installer does not recognize the controller on the motherboard. I had this issue on one system a little while ago. You go to the motherboard manufacturer's (or system manufacturer's) website and look for the driver for the controller. Save that file (probably extracted from a ZIP) to a pen drive, CDRW or floppy (if you have a USB floppy drive lying around) and then select LOAD DRIVER at that "blank drive" screen. Once it loads then you'll see your HDD.
September 25, 2011 2:32:17 PM

GhislainG said:
Quote:
I used the command line packed with the installer to format the drive, just to be sure.
What do you mean? I never had to do that when installing Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 on compatible hardware.

I had some content on that HDD when I tried to use it to install the OS upon.

grafxfx said:
The installer does not recognize the controller on the motherboard. I had this issue on one system a little while ago. You go to the motherboard manufacturer's (or system manufacturer's) website and look for the driver for the controller. Save that file (probably extracted from a ZIP) to a pen drive, CDRW or floppy (if you have a USB floppy drive lying around) and then select LOAD DRIVER at that "blank drive" screen. Once it loads then you'll see your HDD.

I read about such a solution when I googled my problem. It still seems strange, since there was a HDD installed on that MoBo before. I'll try your suggestion.
September 25, 2011 2:56:08 PM

Tried it. I used 2 different files I found on the internet for my MoBo/PC (I'm recycling an old MoBo from a prebuild, MoBo:mcp73pv Prebuild: Acer Aspire m3641)
This one:
And this file: +

When I select these files in the installation, it states that it couldn't find signed drivers.
Any clue?
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2011 3:21:03 PM

they may not be signed for 2008r2 only for vista, 7 etc.
September 25, 2011 3:32:54 PM

Yeah. Your downloads are clearly labelled for Vista 32bit. One for RAID and one for a standard SATA IDE. If you're not doing a RAID setup try the IDE set. It may work, then again it may not. Once the OS is installed run a M$ Update and see if by chance there is some Hardware Updates listed. This can be a problem when using an older board to install newer software OS's on.
September 25, 2011 3:35:43 PM

I had WinServ 2008 installed on this machine with a different HDD before.
I tried the IDE set, but it still gives me the same error: No signed drivers were found.
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2011 3:58:21 PM

A simpler solution would be to set the SATA controller to work in IDE mode in the BIOS this will result in a slight loss of performance but I don't think that you will notice it but at least your drive will be seen by the operating system.
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2011 4:14:26 PM

Shouldn't you download the latest Windows 7 32 bit drivers dated ? Unfortunately they can't be downloaded today as NVidia seems to have an issue finding them. Only the 64 bit drivers can be doanloaded.

Can you try with the drivers at http://downloadnew.org/drivers/motherboard/nvidia-nforc...

Are you sure that NVidia drivers will work on Windows Server 2008?
September 25, 2011 4:57:04 PM

Can I even select .exe files during the installation?
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2011 5:50:42 PM

No. You need to run the downloaded file to extract the drivers. You might have a better chance of success with Windows Server 2008 R2 and the latest Windows 7 64 bit drivers. Any reason why you want to install the Windows Server 2008 32-bit OS?
September 25, 2011 6:16:32 PM

GhislainG said:
No. You need to run the downloaded file to extract the drivers. You might have a better chance of success with Windows Server 2008 R2 and the latest Windows 7 64 bit drivers. Any reason why you want to install the Windows Server 2008 32-bit OS?

I'm installing the 64bit version. There isn't even a 32bit version. Those files I tried were the only ones I could find.
September 25, 2011 7:41:28 PM

GhislainG said:
Windows Server 2008 can be 32 bit or 64 bit. Windows Server 2008 R2 is 64 bit only. Have you tried those drivers? http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce-vista-win7-64bit-15...

Edit: I presumed a 32 bit OS because you were using the 32 bit vista drivers.

No problem ;) 
I tried your link. The installer found the drivers and installed them. After that, and a reboot, there still wasn't a HDD showing up in the list.
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2011 7:44:25 PM

If those drivers don't work, then you probably are out of luck. However I wouldn't give up just yet. Will Windows 7 64 bit (or any other non-server OS) install on that system?
September 25, 2011 7:46:10 PM

Can it be some random configuration in the BIOS? Or maybe the HDD is pluged into the wrong SATA slot?
I rather rule that out before I get my hands on another Windows version.
September 25, 2011 8:12:47 PM

Tried that, didn't work (I selected the right download, the one with my MoBo listed..) Could there be something wrong with my installation USB? I remember reading something about re-burning the install disc at the lowest possible speed.
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2011 9:07:43 PM

You're not installing from a SATA or IDE DVD?
September 25, 2011 9:11:47 PM

GhislainG said:
You're not installing from a SATA or IDE DVD?

No, USB installation. There are no CD/DVD-readers installed. Last time, I also installed with a USB.
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2011 9:47:48 PM

I've installed VMs from an ISO file and physical systems using a SATA CD/DVD drive, but I've never installed Windows Server 2008 from a USB CD/DVD drive. Last time you also installed the same OS?
September 25, 2011 11:27:00 PM

GhislainG said:
I've installed VMs from an ISO file and physical systems using a SATA CD/DVD drive, but I've never installed Windows Server 2008 from a USB CD/DVD drive. Last time you also installed the same OS?

Yes, I used the exact same ISO.
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2011 2:32:37 AM

You did it on the same system or on one having different hardware?
September 26, 2011 11:14:46 AM

The only hardwaredifference is the HDD, which is new. I also used the same ISO for the install.
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2011 11:49:32 AM

That doesn't leave much more to try. What's the difference between the old and the new hard disk?
September 26, 2011 11:53:27 AM

This is a WD, 7200RPM. Last one was a 7200RPM Seagate.
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2011 12:10:06 PM

If that's the only difference and absolutely nothing else cahnged, then I'd try a different hard disk.

How did you get Windows Server 2008 working before if you didn't have the required drivers?
September 26, 2011 12:19:04 PM

GhislainG said:
How did you get Windows Server 2008 working before if you didn't have the required drivers?


I assume there's nothing wrong with the drivers. It installed before on the same rig with a different HDD, it's seen as a SATA HDD in the BIOS and I can access it to load drivers during the OS install.
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2011 1:35:45 PM

If you successfully installed Windows Server 2008 on that system with a Seagate hard disk and you didn't have to load drivers, then I'd presume that there's some incompatibility with the WD hard disk. I have a similar hard disk issue with one of my systems, but the same hard disk works fine in other systems.
September 26, 2011 1:45:15 PM

GhislainG said:
If you successfully installed Windows Server 2008 on that system with a Seagate hard disk and you didn't have to load drivers, then I'd presume that there's some incompatibility with the WD hard disk. I have a similar hard disk issue with one of my systems, but the same hard disk works fine in other systems.

I just bought this HDD a few days ago, to replace the HDD of my server. Is it a problem w/ Windows Server 2008; will it work with another OS?
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2011 9:20:05 PM

I have no clue, but according to you the only modification is the hard disk. Therefore I would definitely try another hard disk to see if the Windows Server 2008 installer will detect it. There's no need to perform the installation.
September 26, 2011 9:53:51 PM

Actually i have the exact same problem with a 250GB WD HDD, but with Windows 7 x64 and Gigabyte p45ds3 motherboard.

I cant really understand what's the problem. I dont have any other disk connected, i use DVD to install the Windows, and my DvD-Rom is SATA also.

The disk had Windows XP before. It is recognize by the motherboard on POST, and also by the setup itself, which is so strange.

If i enter the cmd, before the selection of HDD in the setup, by doing shift+F10 and execute the Diskpart, i can select the hdd and format it and even turn the partition to active. But still after i press Next the setup says "No Disk Detected.. etc" load the drivers..

Is anyone know a solution for this? Do we need to perform any extra steps? Its really strange.

Thanks.
October 2, 2011 4:31:15 PM

Could you report back if you have found a solution karseasl? I'll try another Windows version as soon as I have some time again.
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2011 4:55:27 PM

karserasl said:
Actually i have the exact same problem with a 250GB WD HDD, but with Windows 7 x64 and Gigabyte p45ds3 motherboard.

I cant really understand what's the problem. I dont have any other disk connected, i use DVD to install the Windows, and my DvD-Rom is SATA also.

The disk had Windows XP before. It is recognize by the motherboard on POST, and also by the setup itself, which is so strange.

If i enter the cmd, before the selection of HDD in the setup, by doing shift+F10 and execute the Diskpart, i can select the hdd and format it and even turn the partition to active. But still after i press Next the setup says "No Disk Detected.. etc" load the drivers..

Is anyone know a solution for this? Do we need to perform any extra steps? Its really strange.

Thanks.
What port are the hard disk and DVD drive connected to? Is the hard disk connected to the first SATA port?
October 11, 2011 3:43:07 PM

I tried using Windows Home Server as my OS now, which could be installed on the HDD. I guess the culprit was the installer of Windows Server 2008.
!