Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

High End Core i7 Gaming Rig $1000? Possible?

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 12, 2009 11:33:22 PM

I think so!

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

went about 60 dollars over the budget.

or for exactly 1000 i can get this.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

do you think the $60 price difference is worth it? hehe
a b 4 Gaming
June 12, 2009 11:51:48 PM

cod4ftwguy said:
I think so!

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

went about 60 dollars over the budget.

or for exactly 1000 i can get this.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

do you think the $60 price difference is worth it? hehe


Nice build :) 

ok a few fixes on that build. First off this HD down below is faster than that 750 for the fact the 640 Black uses 2x320 platters and that 750 uses 3x250. 640 Black ftw.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $74.99 Free Shipping*
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Small case in your build, so go "modular" with your psu. Try this one down below.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product... $74.99 ($49.99 after MIR) Free Shipping
OCZ OCZ550FTY 550W Active Power Supply Retail

Same psu as above, only this one's a newegg link...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $79.99 ($54.99 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate)
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
June 13, 2009 12:31:08 AM

thanks thats a great deal, i never really looked outside of corsair PSU's hehe.

but yea! a nice build comment from Why_me haha.

But which build is nice, which one would you go with?
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 12:32:35 AM

Ci7 isnt particularly good in games with only single gfx card .

You are better spending your money elsewhere if gaming is your only concern
June 13, 2009 12:37:55 AM

i didnt get a big(not very big but big) psu for no reason, im going to Xfire to sometime. ANd no its not my only concern but if it cant play games on very high with atleast 25+ fps theirs a problem
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 12:38:25 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Ci7 isnt particularly good in games with only single gfx card .

You are better spending your money elsewhere if gaming is your only concern


LOL...??? :heink: 
June 13, 2009 12:45:46 AM

u didnt reply to me :( 
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 12:49:12 AM

cod4ftwguy said:
u didnt reply to me :( 


I'm making a few changes to that build of yours with the "non micro atx case". Gimme about 10 min and I'l have ya a 750w psu...a good one, for future SLI, and a few other tweaks. :) 
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 12:58:56 AM

Ok this build allows you Crossfire or SLI...that way your not constrained if you decide to change your vid cards later on. That OCZ RAM doesn't have high heat spreaders which won't conflict with your h/s on smaller boards. 750w allows for Crossfire/SLI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $109.99 ($79.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$7.00 Combo Price: $167.98 $20.00 Mail-In Rebate
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-EX58U3R $178.99 | $163.99 after rebate
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R Core i7/ Intel X58/ DDR3/ CrossFireX/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-nvidia-sli-mo... <--- Gigabyte: Enable SLI On X58 Boards

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.... <--- Save yourself some money on an o/s until March 2010 and dl the 64 bit version of Windows 7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <---more pics, specs, and customer reviews on that mobo

bigger case with better cooling and is a plus for Crossfire and SLI...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $79.99
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
June 13, 2009 2:07:47 AM

Why_Me said:
LOL...??? :heink: 


he has a point the i7 is awesome for heavy multi tasking and cpu intensive apps like video encoding and editing programs but for games or even other things other cheaper quads will do the job just fine and probably give you great performance in games too
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 2:20:03 AM

Why_Me said:
LOL...??? :heink: 


All with a gtx 260
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenom2_955/8.h...

The ci7 cant even keep up with a Phenom 720 be or a Phenom 810 quad


If you also factor in the extra you pay for a ci7/x58 mobo/triple channel ram kit then ci7 is lousy value , and offers poor performance

LOL
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 2:54:29 AM

Outlander_04 said:
All with a gtx 260
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenom2_955/8.h...

The ci7 cant even keep up with a Phenom 720 be or a Phenom 810 quad


If you also factor in the extra you pay for a ci7/x58 mobo/triple channel ram kit then ci7 is lousy value , and offers poor performance

LOL


You must have failed to read the rest of that article you linked...espeicially the conclusion. :) 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-phenom-ii... <--- try this link

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=355... <--- or this...

If the OP had wanted inferior technology for a few less dollars then yes I can understand him going the AMD route. But this guy (or gal) seems to want the best that technology has to offer atm....sans the title of this thread. And if the OP decides to go Nvidea later on....well he can, unlike with the AMD rout which limits him.
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 3:53:13 AM

Why_Me said:
You must have failed to read the rest of that article you linked...espeicially the conclusion. :) 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-phenom-ii... <--- try this link

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=355... <--- or this...

If the OP had wanted inferior technology for a few less dollars then yes I can understand him going the AMD route. But this guy (or gal) seems to want the best that technology has to offer atm....sans the title of this thread. And if the OP decides to go Nvidea later on....well he can, unlike with the AMD rout which limits him.


The OP seemed to want the best GAMING rig , and to want to do it within a budget .

I have read the conclusion of the article I linked to .
Were you unable to understand the GAMING benchmarks?
Yes ci7 is a better encoding cpu , but frankly most people dont sit there waiting for a video to encode so a few seconds here and there dont matter squat.

But in every game they play they will be pinned to the computer .

The bottom line is that if you have $1000 to spend on a gaming pc the "best technology" has nothing to do with intel or ci7 . You will have a better gaming pc with Phenom and spending the extra you save on a more powerful gfx card .

a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 6:22:03 AM

Outlander_04 said:
All with a gtx 260
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenom2_955/8.h...

The ci7 cant even keep up with a Phenom 720 be or a Phenom 810 quad


If you also factor in the extra you pay for a ci7/x58 mobo/triple channel ram kit then ci7 is lousy value , and offers poor performance

LOL

The i7 matches (within reasonable margins of error) both the Phenom II and the Core 2 Quad in gaming for single GPU operation, and in many cases is quite a bit faster in multi GPU situations. It may not be the best value, but it is definitely not slower than a 720 BE.
June 13, 2009 6:23:59 AM

true... and the OP said "High End Core i7 Gaming rig ....."

see the ------> i7 <------- part?
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 6:31:19 AM

Over clock the i7 to 3.6 - 3.8 and it will mop the floor with any AMD. These new D0 stepping i7's are doing an easy 4.0 - 4.4 on air according to reviews.
June 13, 2009 7:35:37 AM

Why_Me said:
You must have failed to read the rest of that article you linked...espeicially the conclusion. :) 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-phenom-ii... <--- try this link

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=355... <--- or this...

If the OP had wanted inferior technology for a few less dollars then yes I can understand him going the AMD route. But this guy (or gal) seems to want the best that technology has to offer atm....sans the title of this thread. And if the OP decides to go Nvidea later on....well he can, unlike with the AMD rout which limits him.


lmao you sound like a mac owner....best technology? for what? reading emails? it's called common sense, the i7 is not really known as the best gaming chip out there,for games it comes down to graphics card,and even in multi tasking outside of synthetic benches the i7 is not such a marvel of technology after all,yeah it does better at multi tasking because of hyperthreading and QPI but we are talking of real world differences of a few minutes compared to ther high end quads and no advantage in gaming either.....lol you are probably one of those people that would go and recomment an i7 rig with the 4850 over an amd phenom 2 rig with the gtx 295....lol "inferior technology" GTFO.
June 13, 2009 7:41:06 AM

Why_Me said:
Over clock the i7 to 3.6 - 3.8 and it will mop the floor with any AMD. These new D0 stepping i7's are doing an easy 4.0 - 4.4 on air according to reviews.

Mop the floor in what? how much of a real world difference do you think you gain(zero)? FYI 3.6-3.8 ghz is a very easy over clock for both the 955 and the 940 heck even the x2 550 can be pushed to those numbers lol you really don't know what you are talking about you really think that an overclocked i7 with a weaker graphics card would outperform a 955 on a better graphics solution when it comes to gaming? and in multi tasking you really think 3 less minutes in video encoding is considered "mopping the floor" with any AMD....lol the fan boyism never ends
June 13, 2009 8:09:59 AM

but to my build plz, thanks. i was happy when i saw all these replys and it wasnt even about my thread.
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 8:10:07 AM

rooseveltdon said:
lmao you sound like a mac owner....best technology? for what? reading emails? it's called common sense, the i7 is not really known as the best gaming chip out there,for games it comes down to graphics card,and even in multi tasking outside of synthetic benches the i7 is not such a marvel of technology after all,yeah it does better at multi tasking because of hyperthreading and QPI but we are talking of real world differences of a few minutes compared to ther high end quads and no advantage in gaming either.....lol you are probably one of those people that would go and recomment an i7 rig with the 4850 over an amd phenom 2 rig with the gtx 295....lol "inferior technology" GTFO.


I posted the link as to both of those cpu's being over clocked, and the i7 cleaned the AMD's clock. Now you post a link refuting that or save it. And no I don't post sh*tty builds on here, so you can save your bs anytime soon. Now go help on an AMD thread. If your so worried about AMD, go buy more of their stock. If someone wants the best of the best ...good for them. If they ask for an AMD build, good for them. This person asked for an i7 build, and he/she has a good one posted on here.
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 8:15:13 AM

cod4ftwguy said:
but to my build plz, thanks. i was happy when i saw all these replys and it wasnt even about my thread.


You have a nice build going. In fact I would put your build up against most any on here. You did your homework, and with those few changes you have a great build for little money. :) 
June 13, 2009 9:22:30 AM

who cares about AMD?????
he said -----------> i7 <-----------
thats the topic of advice u should give him
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 10:31:57 AM

cjl said:
The i7 matches (within reasonable margins of error) both the Phenom II and the Core 2 Quad in gaming for single GPU operation, and in many cases is quite a bit faster in multi GPU situations. It may not be the best value, but it is definitely not slower than a 720 BE.


Interesting you say that because in the benchmarks I have linked you'd be dead WRONG .

The i7 cant compete with the 720 be's performance .

if the OP was building a multi gfx card computer the results could be different , but any one suggesting that the highest gaming performance for $1000 is an intel would be a fanboy , and not even a well informed one at that
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 10:38:25 AM

micky_lund said:
who cares about AMD?????
he said -----------> i7 <-----------
thats the topic of advice u should give him



he said " High End" too

but whats high end about a gtx260 ?

LOL
June 13, 2009 10:39:18 AM

true in some aspects...
1) its same speed or faster in games at same clock speed
2) wrong... or y would they sell
3) true... i agree with u their... if he wanted best gaming performance FOR PRICE, he would go amd, but as he says, he wants i7... (get it in ur thick skull, and read his opening title!)
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 11:02:24 AM

Outlander_04 said:
he said " High End" too

but whats high end about a gtx260 ?

LOL


Same could be said about the 4870, but up until a few weeks ago when all of a sudden the 4890 became the hot item the AMD fan club, the AMD builds on here were loaded with 4870's.
June 13, 2009 11:02:45 AM

Why_Me said:
I posted the link as to both of those cpu's being over clocked, and the i7 cleaned the AMD's clock. Now you post a link refuting that or save it. And no I don't post sh*tty builds on here, so you can save your bs anytime soon. Now go help on an AMD thread. If your so worried about AMD, go buy more of their stock. If someone wants the best of the best ...good for them. If they ask for an AMD build, good for them. This person asked for an i7 build, and he/she has a good one posted on here.


lol cleaned what? like i said, three or four minutes less in the real world mean nothing,lol best of the best? right show me gaming benchmarks where the i7 shows major dominance not the same old multi tasking benchmarks that we have all seen already. so someone who is not going to really benefit from a high end quad core should spend extra money for one too according to your logic? you really think an i7 with the gtx 260 would be able to compete with and amd 955 or even a core 2 quad or duo running with a gtx 295 or hd4890 when it comes to gaming? The only thing that the i7 is better than others in is multi tasking and cpu intensive apps, for gaming a cheaper set up with a better graphics card would destroy an i7 with a gtx 260 any day of the week. You look at what's the latest and most talked about product and base your opinion on that (check the term "fanboysm") i base mine based on actual functionality. I suggested the truth, if he wants to enjoy gaming his main concern is not the cpu but the graphics,if he works with demanding multi threaded apps and multi tasks heavily then the i7 is the way to go, i7 is the best cpu but far from the best cpu in gaming especially if you only couple it with a single gtx260...unless you actually believe that an i7 with a gtx 260 would be a better gamer than a 720 BE with the 4890 or even two gtx 260 in sli...instead of trying to sound more intelligent than you really are you ought to think more before posting and giving bad advice.
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 11:08:13 AM

rooseveltdon said:
lol cleaned what? like i said, three or four minutes less in the real world mean nothing,lol best of the best? right show me gaming benchmarks where the i7 shows major dominance not the same old multi tasking benchmarks that we have all seen already. so someone who is not going to really benefit from a high end quad core should spend extra money for one too according to your logic? you really think an i7 with the gtx 260 would be able to compete with and amd 955 or even a core 2 quad or duo running with a gtx 295 or hd4890 when it comes to gaming? The only thing that the i7 is better than others in is multi tasking and cpu intensive apps, for gaming a cheaper set up with a better graphics card would destroy an i7 with a gtx 260 any day of the week. You look at what's the latest and most talked about product and base your opinion on that (check the term "fanboysm") i base mine based on actual functionality. I suggested the truth, if he wants to enjoy gaming his main concern is not the cpu but the graphics,if he works with demanding multi threaded apps and multi tasks heavily then the i7 is the way to go, i7 is the best cpu but far from the best cpu in gaming especially if you only couple it with a single gtx260...unless you actually believe that an i7 with a gtx 260 would be a better gamer than a 720 BE with the 4890 or even two gtx 260 in sli...instead of trying to sound more intelligent than you really are you ought to think more before posting and giving bad advice.


How about you post him a build on here. Who know's, maybe he will go with your suggestion. Peronally if I wasn't in a rush to buy, I would wait for the i5's. Great cheap cpu for gaming, SLI and Crossfire options on one board, and again a person isn't limited to crap AMD technology.
June 13, 2009 11:11:13 AM

cod4ftwguy said:
I think so!

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

went about 60 dollars over the budget.

or for exactly 1000 i can get this.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

do you think the $60 price difference is worth it? hehe


Anyways to answer your question if you are set on the i7 and you are sure that's what you want then go for the 4890 if you can afford it,if gaming is your main concern then you should always make sure you get the best graphics avaliable in you budget,it also depends on what resolutions you will be playing at, at 1680x1050 the difference between the 4870 and the 4890 isn't too much both cards should max out all if not almost all current games at that resolution but at 1920x1200 the 4890 is the best choice and probably will serve you well for a longer period of time.
June 13, 2009 11:23:58 AM

Why_Me said:
How about you post him a build on here. Who know's, maybe he will go with your suggestion. Peronally if I wasn't in a rush to buy, I would wait for the i5's. Great cheap cpu for gaming, SLI and Crossfire options on one board, and again a person isn't limited to crap AMD technology.

lol typical fan boy response,i look at price to performance ratio,his build was fine but if gaming was his main concern then he should be worried about his graphics card the most not his cpu, and your rambling about superior technology is nothing but empty rhetoric,if i am building a machine i am looking for the best performance possible in the projected price range for that build. Phenom 2 chips over clock extremely well and scale well with gpu's and their price to performance ratio cannot be beat,sure the i7 is the best cpu out there but unless you use very demanding multi threaded aps and programs you will not see the benefit of it compared to other high end quads,the phenom 2's over clock great,perform very well in benchmarks (often better than core 2 chips in the same price range) and offer better price to performance options giving me more money to spend on other parts like the graphics card which would be the main factor to consider when gaming...it's not rocket science dude,you don't buy products simply because they are the latest and greatest you buy them based on the degree of functionality they will bring to the tasks you do. Perhaps instead of making immature comments like: "it would mop the floor with any AMD" (lol i'd like to see how an i7 with a single gtx 260 would "mop" the floor with a 720 BE and a 4890 in gaming)you should focus more on what works best for certain situations. Be wiser next time.
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 11:28:19 AM

rooseveltdon said:
lol typical fan boy response,i look at price to performance ratio,his build was fine but if gaming was his main concern then he should be worried about his graphics card the most not his cpu, and your rambling about superior technology is nothing but empty rhetoric,if i am building a machine i am looking for the best performance possible in the projected price range for that build. Phenom 2 chips over clock extremely well and scale well with gpu's and their price to performance ratio cannot be beat,sure the i7 is the best cpu out there but unless you use very demanding multi threaded aps and programs you will not see the benefit of it compared to other high end quads,the phenom 2's over clock great,perform very well in benchmarks (often better than core 2 chips in the same price range) and offer better price to performance options giving me more money to spend on other parts like the graphics card which would be the main factor to consider when gaming...it's not rocket science dude,you don't buy products simply because they are the latest and greatest you buy them based on the degree of functionality they will bring to the tasks you do. Perhaps instead of making immature comments about "my cip is better than yours" you should focus more on what works best for certain situations. Be wiser next time.


Still spamming the OP's thread eh ? If I need advice on a crap cpu, I'l be sure to PM you so as not to end up spamming this persons thread like I am now replying to your post on here.
June 13, 2009 11:31:26 AM

Why_Me said:
Still spamming the OP's thread eh ? If I need advice on a crap cpu, I'l be sure to PM you so as not to end up spamming this persons thread like I am now replying to your post on here.


crap cpu? like what? the 955 which last time i checked beat all other cpu's except the i7? so much for your knowledge. sigh i guess you can't really fix stupid.
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 12:04:01 PM

Why_Me said:
Still spamming the OP's thread eh ? If I need advice on a crap cpu, I'l be sure to PM you so as not to end up spamming this persons thread like I am now replying to your post on here.



your comments are out of line

you may think intel is wonderful and can do no wrong
You may even work for them promoting their cpu's

but high end gaming is not an i7 with a gtx 260 [ or 4870]

Im sure if you thought it was then you'd have given us a benchmark showing that that is the case .

So why not try some facts instead of hotheaded abuse ?
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 12:18:18 PM

Outlander_04 said:
your comments are out of line

you may think intel is wonderful and can do no wrong
You may even work for them promoting their cpu's

but high end gaming is not an i7 with a gtx 260 [ or 4870]

Im sure if you thought it was then you'd have given us a benchmark showing that that is the case .

So why not try some facts instead of hotheaded abuse ?


LOL...get outta here. You didn't read that guys post calling me stupid, etc... and you have the balls to tell me my comments are out of line ? WTF ? Are you blind ? Go back and read his post on this thread then read mine. As far as promoting cpu's Iv'e seen enough of your post to think that maybe you have AMD tattood on your right arse cheek, and ATI on the left. In fact I wouldn't be bad mouthing AMD's on here but for the fact reading your post on this forum and people like you have actually had a negative affect every time I read the words AMD/ATI.
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 12:39:30 PM



Under $1,000 NICE :)  Believe it or not, a build like that one a four to five months ago would have been closer to $1,200. It always amazes me to see how fast prices change with the technology market in regards to PC hardware.
June 13, 2009 12:51:07 PM

Yea but what sucks is, all these parts will become obselete in like a year and their will be like 5870s, and 5850s haha.

IM thinking about saving an extra 100 dollars for a 4890 and a cpu cooler+bracket
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 12:55:08 PM

cod4ftwguy said:
Yea but what sucks is, all these parts will become obselete in like a year and their will be like 5870s, and 5850s haha.

IM thinking about saving an extra 100 dollars for a 4890 and a cpu cooler+bracket


http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-EX58U3R Combo Price: $450.87 Free Shipping
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R Core i7/ Intel X58/ DDR3/ CrossFireX/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8MB LGA1366 CPU, Retail
June 13, 2009 1:54:49 PM

Why_Me said:
LOL...get outta here. You didn't read that guys post calling me stupid, etc... and you have the balls to tell me my comments are out of line ? WTF ? Are you blind ? Go back and read his post on this thread then read mine. As far as promoting cpu's Iv'e seen enough of your post to think that maybe you have AMD tattood on your right arse cheek, and ATI on the left. In fact I wouldn't be bad mouthing AMD's on here but for the fact reading your post on this forum and people like you have actually had a negative affect every time I read the words AMD/ATI.


I did not start out by calling you stupid,i simply pointed out the obvious...for a gaming rig an i7 with the gtx 260 would not be a better gaming system than a less powerful cpu with a better graphics solution...and you went into fan boy rage mode trying to say that an i7 with a gtx 260 would be a better gaming system than a computer with superior graphics and rambling about "superior technology" while showing that you lacked the knowledge to even talk about technology in the first place and spewing empty rhetoric as if they were legitimate arguments. You asked him to reread the comments? Perhaps you should reread your comments and see just how flawed your arguments were in the first place (heck you posted overclocking benchmarks and used those as indicators of "superior" gaming performance so much for you knowing what you were talking about) Next time avoid arguing and debating abou things you lack knowledge on...oh and you are definitely not one to call him an amd fan boy you pretty much proved you were an intel fan boy when you said that an i7 with the gtx 260 would be a better gaming rig than an amd based system with superior graphics.
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 2:07:36 PM

rooseveltdon said:
I did not start out by calling you stupid,i simply pointed out the obvious...for a gaming rig an i7 with the gtx 260 would not be a better gaming system than a less powerful cpu with a better graphics solution...and you went into fan boy rage mode trying to say that an i7 with a gtx 260 would be a better gaming system than a computer with superior graphics and rambling about "superior technology" while showing that you lacked the knowledge to even talk about technology in the first place and spewing empty rhetoric as if they were legitimate arguments. You asked him to reread the comments? Perhaps you should reread your comments and see just how flawed your arguments were in the first place (heck you posted overclocking benchmarks and used those as indicators of "superior" gaming performance so much for you knowing what you were talking about) Next time avoid arguing and debating abou things you lack knowledge on...oh and you are definitely not one to call him an amd fan boy you pretty much proved you were an intel fan boy when you said that an i7 with the gtx 260 would be a better gaming rig than an amd based system with superior graphics.


No I didn't say a i7 with a 260 would be better than an AMD with something like a 4890. I pointed out that the i7 with the same card was no push over. Yes the OP could knock off a few dollars with an AMD build and move up to a better graphics card, but it's obvious he wants an i7 build. Later on he might add another 260 and go SLI ...if he changes his psu to a 750w which cost only a few dollars more than the 550w he has now. If you wanted to convince the OP you might have posted a build on here to give him an idea of what your talking about instead of bumping your gums on this thread. Your more focused on what I think than the OP...and it's his thread.
June 13, 2009 2:10:48 PM

cod4ftwguy said:
This is my current rig.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

The CPU is currnently at 3.0 OCed

Do you think adding these upgrades will make it on par with the Core i7 rig? Assuming that the i7 920 is on stock settings?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...


I don't understand what you mean by "on par" with the i7 920, the i7 is superior to others because of hyperthreading,D0 stepping,triple channel memory and QPI but these features do not affect gaming. An i7 with a gtx 260 would get outperformed in games even by an E8400 core 2 duo if such core 2 duo came with a better graphics card (like the 4890) moreover only a handful of games are optimized to take advantage of multiple cores and even then they still depend mostly on how powerful your graphis card is.

If gaming is your main concern then the 4890 will give you a huge improvement in performance,the Q6600 is a very good chip older but still a powerful quad core nonetheless,of course updrading to the i7 will show some improvements in cpu intensive tasks (assuming you do a lot of video editing and encoding) but if you do not do tasks that would actually benefit from the i7 you won't really notice much. Gaming is primarily affected by your graphical power as long as your cpu is fast enough to not bottleneck the gpu then you are good to go. If anything you would be better off getting the 4890 now and upgrading to the core i5 later on if you want to buy an intel chip otherwise you are fine with just the upgrades you listed
June 13, 2009 2:16:36 PM

Why_Me said:
No I didn't say a i7 with a 260 would be better than an AMD with something like a 4890. I pointed out that the i7 with the same card was no push over. Yes the OP could knock off a few dollars with an AMD build and move up to a better graphics card, but it's obvious he wants an i7 build. Later on he might add another 260 and go SLI ...if he changes his psu to a 750w which cost only a few dollars more than the 550w he has now. If you wanted to convince the OP you might have posted a build on here to give him an idea of what your talking about instead of bumping your gums on this thread. Your more focused on what I think than the OP...and it's his thread.


Actually i did answer the OP's question i told him to focus on graphics first for gaming rather than cpu. You are the one calling people fan boys when we are simply stating a fact. Even if the i7 uses the same card the performance difference is minimal in gaming,benchmarks show that already. As matter of fact when it comes to gaming the 955 outperforms it in some titles and mostly matches it in others when they use the same GPU set up, the only difference is that the i7 can be overclocked a little higher but that does not impact gaming performance as much as graphical power does thus validating my initial point to begin with.
June 13, 2009 2:32:57 PM

core i5? i havnt been keeping up with stuff lately can u give me a link or somtinw here i can read about it
June 13, 2009 3:19:30 PM

rooseveltdon said:
lmao you sound like a mac owner....best technology? for what? reading emails? it's called common sense, the i7 is not really known as the best gaming chip out there,for games it comes down to graphics card,and even in multi tasking outside of synthetic benches the i7 is not such a marvel of technology after all,yeah it does better at multi tasking because of hyperthreading and QPI but we are talking of real world differences of a few minutes compared to ther high end quads and no advantage in gaming either.....lol you are probably one of those people that would go and recomment an i7 rig with the 4850 over an amd phenom 2 rig with the gtx 295....lol "inferior technology" GTFO.


You know what would have been helpful? Posting a decent Phenom II build instead of ragging on Why_Me. Sure you have a point, but so does he. You know how to make your case? Post a good build instead of starting a flame war. Sheesh.
a b 4 Gaming
June 13, 2009 5:45:04 PM

Personal attacks aside, the discussion itself is quite valuable.

I'm not going to join in, but there's a wealth of analysis to be done here, and arguments that have only been partially explored because people were too busy being defensive.
June 13, 2009 7:16:31 PM

Before this gets locked, here are the facts to anyone who cares.

The Core i7 gets an unfair bad rap. It had issues with a single GTX 280 that gave it a very poor showing in some early reviews. In most single card configurations, it should show (very slightly) higher framerates, with it's lead expanding more significantly with each additional card. It's hyperthreading allows it to prioritize andhandle SLI/Crossfire overhead more effectively, resulting in higher framerates, even when there is still a GPU bottleneck.

Secondly, it OCs like a son of a bitch. It is usually benchmarked at stock in reviews, and while it doesn't go to exhorbitantly higher OCs than Core and Phenom 2s, it is clocked lower at stock.

On the other hand, the Phenom II 940 is a killer deal right now. It's a full $90 cheaper than the i7 920, and $55 cheaper than the Phenom II 955 lots of people like to recommend. On top of that, it uses an AM2+ chipset, which uses DDR2-1066 and has little negative impact in the real world. (Sure, you can have triple-channel DDR3-2000, you'll hardly ever saturate dual-channel DDR2-1066, and it has lower latencies.) A hundred bucks is the difference between a 4850 and a 4890, and that will have a much bigger impact on your gaming than an i7 920 and over a Ph2 940. On he other hand, CPUs age more gracefully than video cards. It all comes down to what you value more, CPU or graphics horsepower.
!