PeersC

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hya All, :wahoo:

A follow on from the thread "Water Cooling Help" a couple of weeks back - Sorry for the typo LOL. I have been busy checking out the bits and bobs needed and hopefully be ready to build the heat exchanger on Friday.

For those that did not follow the thread, I am going to cool my new PC with a heat exchanger. I am not a "noob" when it comes to water cooling (been using it for seven years) and I am certainly experienced when it comes to heat exchangers, this will be my fourth one!

The basics are that by using a heat exchanger, you can recover the thermal energy given off by your PC and re-use it elsewhere in your home. I have had a number of suggestions already and the more saner ones include Pond / Aquarium Heating, Conservatory or garage heating any one got anyother ideas!!!

This build has always been an external unit but I have thought about an alternative design that could fit in a double drive bay.

For those interested, it will be a quad core contraflow - one of the most efficient and best of all, cost less than £ 20 to build!!!

Any thoughts appreciated.

Peers

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Can you provide some additional information? Are you planning to use the heat exchanger in another reservoir such as a pond or a large barrel? Ultimately, it will depend upon the thermal capacity of the other water source in question...if it is fairly large, you should be just fine. Just curious...can you provide links, drawings, pics, etc? Sounds like a great alternative solution.

PeersC

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hi Rubix,

I'll video the build (post on LiveStream) and take pics as well. I did have some pictures / drawings on my old desktop before the Mobo died (LOL it's been playing up for months - why I've been planning the new build)

As regards my other water source it's radiators, fans, insulated tank - outside on my patio??? Why do I need the heat exchanger?

My situation is somewhat strange, I live in the desert where it gets very hot (40 C+) by day but cold (near freezing in winter) night. With my conventional W/C system my PC has been chucking out heat which my A/C then has to cool - In short I've been paying twice for my energy useage.

The idea is to use my radiators and fans during the night when the ambient temperature is low and "store" that thermal energy, in the tank for use during the day, using the principle of Latent Heat, a small Pelt TEC operated by a digital fridge controller will maintain that temp till the following night (I seldom use my PC much during the day anyway). Ideally a USB computerised controller would be ideal but I'll look at that later for now a simple timer will suffice. The new motherboard will control some of the Fans as well so it will also work as a conventional W/C system if needed.

It will be housed in unit on my wall outside which is being built by a local engineering firm and once painted will not look out of place. Just waiting for a couple more key components to arrive - Can't wait to get on with it. Obviously I won't be hooking it up to my new PC till it's thoroughly tested!!!

Regards,

Peers

PeersC

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Sorry Did not go ahead with build last Friday.

Still waiting for delivery of a couple of key components.

Hopefully arrive soon.

Peers