Sign in with
Your question

Silly question about processor

Last response: in CPUs
September 15, 2009 6:37:25 AM

Hi,

I am moving soon so plan to ship my pc. Before I do I want to remove most of the expensive hardware. My question is, is it safe to leave the processor and memory locked in its place on my motherboard during transit/travel. I plan to take out my motherboard of the case and carry it with me. I just didnt want to remove the cpu as I tossed the packaing it came in. Motherboard: asus p6t deluxe, CPU: i7.

Like I mentioned... silly quesiton :pt1cable: 
September 15, 2009 6:58:57 AM

I shipped my PC from the UK to Canada just stuffed full of bubble wrap, and it worked fine when it got here. Unless you have a really heavy heatsink or graphics card I wouldn't bother dismantling anything.
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 156 V Motherboard
September 15, 2009 7:27:48 AM

Maybe pull the hard drive, wrap it in bubble wrap, and put it back into the case so it doesn't move around..
Related resources
September 15, 2009 7:56:30 AM

thanks for the tips! will just remove my 3d card and hard drives i guess.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2009 8:08:31 AM

Leaving the CPU and memory in their sockets/slos is fine. The retention bracket for Core i7 is pretty tight and most memory is hard as hell to take out without moving the release things. I wasy you will be fine but do what the others have suggested.

Oh and just as a precaution try to find the anti-static bubble wrap. Doesn't hurt to have full protection.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2009 12:18:52 PM

I would suggest removing graphics card, CPU cooler and any HDDs but leaving everything else in the mobo, and the mobo in the case.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2009 4:04:50 AM

Depending on which CPU cooler your using. I have the Zalman 9700 and there's no way I would ship it while still mounted on the MoBo, unless I could lay my case on it's side sitting on the seat next to me with the seat-belt holding it in place. :bounce: 
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2009 4:53:58 AM

I ship PCs all the time across country, if everything is in right and screwed down, tie extra wires to the case with zip ties and youll be just fine.
!